My first more important problem is my lack of confidence with singing. I've never sung in front of people, only ever along with songs where I can hit the notes, when no-one else is around. These songs are generally limited to Gorgoroth songs eg. Profetens Apenbaring, Incipit Satan. The only metal songs I've found using a similar range to mine. I may not even be hitting the notes properly, but to me it sounds about right.

How can I make myself more confident in singing, so that perhaps I could feel OK recording myself some time, attempting to utilize it in a song perhaps.

My other problem is my range itself. As I said earlier, i can only find two songs of a similar genre that uses such a low vocal range. I write music and lyrics, (neither very well tbh) but when playing the lyrics through in my head it always has a sort of tenor range sounding thing. Is there anyway of improving my range? Can falsettos be used, without being as high as King Diamond, as that is the only time I've really heard of them being used? any other solutions to this problem?

thanks, tl;dr - how can i get more confident with singing and can I make my range get higher?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Jerry.thewise
Like most musical skills, it takes practice and proper technique.

getting confident or improving range?

get sh1tfaced
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P)

"Nobody dies a virgin... Life fucks us all."
- Kurt Donald Cobain (R.I.P)
I'm not a great singer, and I dont sing infront of people very often so take this advice with a grain of salt. Just because I cant/dont do it myself doesnt make the advice any less relevant. (edit: i dont know why i originally said more relevant, that makes no sense)

First off, if you can afford it, get a teacher. They will be able to pick out exactly what you are doing wrong and help you improve and give you guidance.

Secondly, sing to your hearts content, sing everything and anything. Sing infront of others so you can ditch the self conciousness of your current singing ability.

Thirdly record yourself singing and listen back to it to see if you can tell what your doing wrong yourself. You will never know what you sound like if you dont actually record yourself.

Sorry I couldnt give you more imput, but I'm not actually trying to be a singer. I like to sing, and I'd like to be able to sing better, but my current focus is specifically on the guitar. To me that comes first.

My guitar teacher is actually an amazing singer, so one of these days I'm going to get him to help me kill two birds with one stone.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 30, 2009,
Confidence with singing has only a little bit to do with singing itself. Even good or popular singers can have issues with it. I have heard that Maynard James Keenan used to have bad stage fright - maybe still does. What you should do is work on your confidence independently. Call random people (that is to say people you don't know) and try to carry on a conversation for as long as possible. Stop people on the street and ask them for their opinions about things. It will all help. Try to do all this mostly with girls, since that will help with your confidence more than talking to men.
Quote by Dragonis
I'm not a great singer, and I dont sing infront of people very often so take this advice with a grain of salt. Just because I cant/dont do it myself doesnt make the advice any more relevant.

First off, if you can afford it, get a teacher. They will be able to pick out exactly what you are doing wrong and help you improve and give you guidance.

Secondly, sing to your hearts content, sing everything and anything. Sing infront of others so you can ditch the self conciousness of your current singing ability.

Thirdly record yourself singing and listen back to it to see if you can tell what your doing wrong yourself. You will never know what you sound like if you dont actually record yourself.

Sorry I couldnt give you more imput, but I'm not actually trying to be a singer. I like to sing, and I'd like to be able to sing better, but my current focus is specifically on the guitar. To me that comes first.

My guitar teacher is actually an amazing singer, so one of these days I'm going to get him to help me kill two birds with one stone.

unfortunately i can't afford a teacher, but thanks for the advice, next time everyones out i shall record myself

EDIT: jefreyvogal, I'm incredibly confident with guitar, I often go busking in the middle of the street partly for money but more to boost my confidence, and I have no trouble talking to girls. It's just with singing that im this unconfident

Last edited by metallicafan616 at Sep 30, 2009,
Just keeping singing then if it isn't a general confidence issue. The better you get the more confident in it you will be.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Just keeping singing then if it isn't a general confidence issue. The better you get the more confident in it you will be.
Truth.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
When in conversations with girls, randomly break into song, then pause, and start walking away. Then when you hit about 5 yards away, turn back, start singing again, and run as fast as you can at the girl (still singing, preferably louder than before). Right when you're about to knock the girl over come to a complete stop, and cease singing. Look her straight in the eyes while you breathe heavily and say in your best John Wayne voice, "I'd like to lend you a harness little lady."

If you somehow manage to pull all that off exactly how I have it written, you will have more than enough confidence to sing in front of anyone, I guarantee it.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Quote by 3holepunch
When in conversations with girls, randomly break into song, then pause, and start walking away. Then when you hit about 5 yards away, turn back, start singing again, and run as fast as you can at the girl (still singing, preferably louder than before). Right when you're about to knock the girl over come to a complete stop, and cease singing. Look her straight in the eyes while you breathe heavily and say in your best John Wayne voice, "I'd like to lend you a harness little lady."

If you somehow manage to pull all that off exactly how I have it written, you will have more than enough confidence to sing in front of anyone, I guarantee it.

This, and put the video on youtube for us
Quote by jfreyvogel

... and the cycle continues, because the more confident you are, the better you will sing too.

I am a firm believer that the ability to sing successfully has a LOT to do with having the confidence to do so. If you think you can't, then you're almost assuredly right. If you think you can, you actually stand a chance.

I'll second the recording yourself advice, too. I found it so motivating listening back to old recordings and then playing them back-to-back with newer recordings and hearing that I was, in fact, getting better. When you don't feel like you're improving you give up. When you have tangible proof that you're improving, your confidence goes up, and so does your motivation and your ability.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
The recording part is THE key to improving. Not even for analysing your mistakes, but like Chris says, you can hear yourself progressing. I couldn't stop laughing when I checked out some recordings from the beginning of my singing lessons (1 year training, to years ago).

It's such a massive ego boost!
After recording myself, I can officially say that I sound worse than I thought. I'm unable to control the dynamics, don't get all the notes properly and most of all have a sort of croak overtone throughout it

Keep that, though, because it's your benchmark for improvement!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.