when you record, do you use Mac, Linux or 2000/ME/XP/Vista?

i dont like using Vista, im trying to get my hands on a MacBook Pro.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Last edited by Silver-spear94 at Sep 30, 2009,
XP for me, can't stand Macs or vista. Hopefully 7 turns out somewhat useful
ohai little sig.
i use mac os-x, very stable. i got this because i can't rely on vista. os-x is more stable than xp imo.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Demonikk
XP for me, can't stand Macs or vista. Hopefully 7 turns out somewhat useful

my dad used to work for a branch of microsoft and he got a prototype of W7, apparently its worse than vista. its too fast for any 32bit processor, someone needs to build a 128bit processor before its of any use, or so he says.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

I use Vista, but that's just because I don't want to go through the hassle of formatting and installing XP. Not until I need to, anyway.

Side note: Could my hard drive be turning itself off briefly because it's over-heating? I don't have a case fan...

Quote by Silver-spear94
my dad used to work for a branch of microsoft and he got a prototype of W7, apparently its worse than vista. its too fast for any 32bit processor, someone needs to build a 128bit processor before its of any use, or so he says.

I used it for a bit on my Sister's laptop. She had a trial/beta version, it seemed okay. It wasn't slow, just a bit confusing.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Last edited by Juadafi at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by gumbilicious
i use mac os-x, very stable. i got this because i can't rely on vista. os-x is more stable than xp imo.

what version you use? im trying to get my parents to get me a MacBook Pro with snow Leopard. I used one at my bassist's house and loved it.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Mac for me.

I hate hate hate the interface, but I'm slowly (and begrudgingly) getting used to it.

It's just more stable, more plug and play friendly, better support, and while not always faster, seems to work much better running big programs.

I've had very very very fast Vista machines lock down, or at the very least skip a bit when running, for example, Protools and LogicPro at the same time (don't ask...).
on vista, i can barely get Cubase and itunes running at the same time.

we run cubase, itunes, and drum machine software simultaniously on snow leopard with no problems.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

I have both but always use my mac. Its got 4 gig ram and a 24 inch screen so its pretty good.
my ICT teacher uses an old G4 ibook, but he used 'boot camp' to put XP on it. it runs pretty fast, but id still rather use OS X.

btw, has anyone had experience with the old 'Tiger' operating systems or the G4 laptops?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Vista FTL

im gonna download the Widows 7 beta tho. i heard good reviews
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Mac for me as well. stable and runs smootly, I like Garageband too (will be upgrading to to Pro Tools or Logic when I take it more seriously)
You guys think Vista is bad, I used Windows ME for 3 years

Personally, if I was using a dedicated recording computer, I'd want XP or OS X on it.
My friends and I use macbooks with mboxes, and our school's studio has a mac pro with all kinds of pro tools racks. Our art/music depts are all mac, but everything else is PC.

Macs are far more stable than pcs, but they're not invincible. I crash mine all the time, sometimes with pro tools, sometimes with ableton live, often with both, and sometimes with neither. I'll be the first to admit it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Sep 30, 2009,
i had ME too, liked it better than 98 or 2000 at the time, then i got XP, then vista.

now im pig-sick of windows and its unreliability, and am totally hell bent on upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5.8 Snow Leopard.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94

god i love the idiocy that trolls Ug.
Quote by Silver-spear94

tl;dr : windows 7 works fine for me. Read if you want to hear about my pc knowledge/experience etc. I know what I'm talking about trust me

Thats surprising to me. I'm using W7 release copy right now, and its faaaaaaaaar better then vista. Then again I'm on a 64-bit processor and my computer is considered to be in like the top 20% of pcs. (Rankings from PC Pitstop) It was top 10% a year ago, but technology moves quick haha.

No offense...but what exactly did your dad do for microsoft? And is he even good with computers...? A 128bit processor wouldnt make a difference if the OS wasn't designed to use it.... Really does he even know what hes talking about? That makes no sense to me. If he knew anything about PCs he should know that the only way to take advantage of a 128bit processor is to use a 128bit OS.... which doesnt exist.

Personally I've used Windows XP, Vista x64, and now 7 x64 (Along with every incarnation of windows since 95... yes including ME). XP with SP2 was by far the most stable and plug and play friendly. Vista never gave me many problems but my computer was more then enough to handle it, which helps, and I'm pretty tech savvy. I did get stupid errors but nothing that really effected the way the computer ran.

For the two or so weeks I've had 7 now, its running extremely strong and quick as lightning. No stupid errors I got in vista, loads quicker then vista (shaved 15 seconds off my boot up time from 60 seconds to 45), doesnt hog nearly as much ram ram, and has handled everything I have personally thrown at it so far.

I do not own cubase or pro tools so I cannot comment on how well 7 runs with those. I use reaper as my DAW. Which I have yet to actually install, as this is still a pretty fresh install of 7 and I haven't put everything back on it yet.

Most I have run with this computer so far is. Zune Player + Halo 2 (Settings all the way up) + Firefox open with multiple tabs. Never skipped a beat.

That all being said... I build my own computers, and install the OS and all apps myself. I pick all the parts I use and put it together myself, and I'm very very good with solving stupid PC issues. My PC runs like a champ day in and day out and its now 2 years old. So that does have something to do with the fact I never have issues with my computer

sorry this was so long, I like to explain things.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 30, 2009,
he was a Comp-TIA certified supervisor.

hes all into XP, so it wouldnt suprise me that he didnt like W7, he doesnt like Vista or Mac either. I havent personally tried it, i just said what he said. so leaamme alone lol.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

haha sorry like I said I mean no offense. But that statement about needing a 128bit processor irked me. Anyone who knows anything about computers should know thats not how it works
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Well...in the studio here at school we use OSX Leopard...but on my own, I'm stuck with Vista until I can get a Mac Pro.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Also let it be known I can not stand Macs. I have used a few machines with OSX and I can not do it. Yes they are user friendly and simple to use. But they are not for a power user like myself. There is no freedom for me to change whatever I damn well please. Everything about my PC is 100% custom, I constantly swap out and upgrade parts whenever I feel like it and I'm always messing with settings to make it run faster.
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
If I did, I'd get a Macbook with Garage Band.
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
any mac users, other than the operating system, what are the differences between the macbook and the macbook pro?
is it just the hard drive?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
any mac users, other than the operating system, what are the differences between the macbook and the macbook pro?
is it just the hard drive?

video card and ram normally as well as the HDD, and sometimes the screen as well.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I use XP, but plan on upgrading to 7 when I build my new machine.

Macs are IMO overrated, unless you really like Logic (it's a great DAW, but not worth using a Mac IMO)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
im with dragonis here, i find windows to actually be the better choice for me. for one i hate the mac interface. im not one of those pc guys who has never used a mac, i used one multiple times a week for the past year or two. never could get used to it, and never liked the way the computers ran. while stuff like vista has big bugs that are obvious, macs have these little glitches i run into all the time that are really annoying if you find them. i am not a fan of vista either, so i am hoping that windows 7 will be better (havent tried it yet).

but my biggest reason for liking pcs would be the configuration options. this is huge with recording IMO as well. i can strip down a machine and get exactly what i need, and make sure i dont have what i dont need. i am considering options for a computer i am going to half build (buy something cheap with a good processor and re-work it). if i decide to go with good stuff for recording, i know i can set things up so that i have the sound card, video card and ram that i need. with a mac, well, you get stuck with pretty much stock. so thats my real issue, i cant integrate the stuff i need straight into my computer. all these USB and firewire things are great, but if my computer is going to sit in one place i would rather have my soundcard inside the shell.

basicly, like most people who know the what they are talking about seem to say, macs are great for people who like their computer to just work with minimal effort. they are great computers straight out of the box and they do things like music and video editing very well. but for those of us who like to tear things apart and run tweaks all the time, we cant stand macs. i cant say one is better than the other, it really depends on the kind of computer person you are.

um, well i guess to really answer the question, i currently record using windows XP. havent done much recording recently since a 4 year old laptop isnt always up to the task these days. however, it has always done me well in the past and never had problems with whatever i threw at it. i usually record single tracks in audacity, just because it is simple and i like the noise removal tool. i then mix in fruity loops, mostly because i like the mixer and ive been using the program for a while. my xp has no problem running multiple uncompressed audio files and letting me do lots of editing as the song plays. then my brother loves garage band on his mac, so i have seen the benifits of that. for me, ive always found xp to be the way to go so far.
there really isn't a "better" OS. a lot of people like PCs, a lot like Macs. there are pros and cons to each. do some research, figure out what you want, what you need, and how much you can spend.

i use mac osx, and i'm very pleased with it. and the studio that i work at (and the other studios i occasionally have to do work at...and pretty much all of the big studios in hollywood and burbank, for that matter) use macs. not trying to say that mac is better -- it just makes my life a lot easier.
Musicians only = mac
Musicians who likes VST = windows, because the free stuff often is windows-online
Musicians who also like computer gaming = windows

Many official plugins are both win and mac.

So in my opinion windows are better. (mine opinions is NOT better than yours)
Last edited by GisleAune at Oct 1, 2009,
I use a macbook pro with garageband at the moment, upgrading to logic pro in the next month or two, I customized my mac's visual layout and deleted all the unnecessary files and binary which really boosted its performance and gained nearly 10GB of hard drive space, You can get VSTs to work in mac, you just need to edit them with programs so your mac recognizes them and if not I just run crossover and a vista window and open the windows programs that way,

I would recommend mac's for recording but with windows you can get the exact same, its just a matter of preference really

As for the mac gaming side you can run a parallel windows desktop and install and play the games from their,or run crossover games which simulates windows but as much as I'd like to go back playing RPGs I'd rather keep my mac for strictly music
I use my G5 system MOST of the time - as it simply put WORKS FLAWLESSLY. I also have a dual boot PC with Vista/Win 7 and I can assure all of you - WINDOWS 7 is GREAT! Much faster than Vista - Much better with CPU/RAM usage too - I'm running the 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate and man oh man - FINALLY a Windows that works ALMOST as nice as OS X... Recording in 7 is a joy - I've used Sonar Producer 8 and also Reaper with loads of VST's and it never bogs down like Vista did - I think it's the best Windows yet and I'm not sure what "Dad" was talking about - the 32-bit on my Dual Intel 2 ghz. runs flawlessly. When Vista was finally loaded up (I have 2-gigs of Ram) I had about 45 % of my ram left and my CPU's were working hard when trying to record - with Windows 7 I have almost 75% of my Ram left and it never hiccups while recording.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Any will do. the software and interface are more important.
The only real benefit of a Mac is that it can use more than 1 Sound driver at a time.
Get a PC and spend the rest of the money you'd save on a Mac on decent hardware
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Mac OSX 10.5.7 with Apogee Duet & Logic Pro. I think there is less or no lag/ latency issues in mac against windows.
Macbook Pro 17 inch, loving every minute of it

But tbf, for mixing I use bootcamp rto run windows XP (don't ask)

conclusion: what ever floats your boat, I've never crashed windows with recording software so far (then again, reaper ain't the most demanding piece of kit ever)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.