Inspired from these clothing-related threads (pun not intended)

Walking to class today I realized how many people I see wearing name brand t shirts that are incredibly expensive for what they are... Billabong... Hollister... FOX to name a few.

At what point did this become the social norm? People will now PAY $75 for a t shirt that is, clearly, an advertisement, and people these days are okay with that?

If you're not cathing my point yet... I find it really ridiculous that people will pay absurd amounts of money to advertise a clothing company that they most likely don't affiliate with, at all.

Now, I admit I own advertisement t-shirts... particularly Fender and Gibson, a few. However I wear these shirts because I believe they make a quality product (well that's debatable these days ), and most of you can relate with wearing t shirts that relate to things you associate yourself with; Bands, concerts you've gone to, etc... cmon we're all musicians here and I assume we all own music related shirts. That's part of who we are.

But I want to meet someone who is actually enthusiastic about Hollister or Billabong. Really.

What a ridiculous fact.

tl;dr: People pay money to advertise brands that are cool; the opposite of how the concept advertising works, and people don't think twice about it.

"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Sep 30, 2009,
perhaps they like the design, the feel of the clothing,
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
As long as they don't annoy me to were "popular" clothes, then I don't care if they wear them.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by daytripper75
If they like it then who cares?

The only answer. I'd rather have a sense of style then walk around every day with jeans and a band shirt.

Some people think it's stupid to spend hundreds of dollars on a guitar.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Quote by daytripper75
If they like it then who cares?

I'm not saying that all brand name shirts are bad, some have some cool designs on them... but that's beside my point.

I get the feeling that if people only bought these shirts because of their design appeal, they wouldn't be nearly as popular.

Also daytripper it doesn't stop at shirts. Bumper stickers on cars, keychains, hell even today I saw a girl next to me with a hollister sticker on her phone

Agreed, if someone purchases a name band shirt because they like the shirt then I have nothing against them at all, other than that they have 75 bucks to spend on a piece of cotton
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
When you spend lots of money on an item of clothing, you feel good about yourself when you wear it. You feel comfortable with your clothes and with yourself.
Quote by maidenfan15
The only answer. I'd rather have a sense of style then walk around every day with jeans and a band shirt.

Hey. All I own are 1 pair of jeans and a ****load of band shirts I've accumulated over the years from various concerts.
I agree completely.
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Agreed, if someone purchases a name band shirt because they like the shirt then I have nothing against them at all, other than that they have 75 bucks to spend on a piece of cotton

Strangely, I'm the opposite. If I see somebody walking around with a Led Zeppelin shirt who can't name any song besides Stairway, I rage.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Quote by Steel8909
I onlypaid $10 for my billabong shirts

TK Maxx? If so?
Quote by maidenfan15

so your idea of a sense of style is to walk around wearing some expensive shirt advertising a clothing company?
I think they feel just about exactly the same, therefore I find no need to buy them. Higher end stuff like Express or Lacoste, however, actually does feel better constructed than generic clothes. I still don't buy it though because I think the amount of betterment in quality isn't worth the high price.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
what kind of asshole wears Fender AND Gibson shirts?

Seriously though, people wear expensive clothes so other people know that they can afford expensive clothes.

And also the fit is better than that of say a Walmart shirt.
I think it's fine. I think paying £75 on lylanscott cardigans is a bit stupid, but I'm sure they feel great when wearing it. I know I feel way better when wearing either atticus or famous stars and straps tops/buckles etc, alot of it is the feeling of "reppin'" the brand, especialy if they are
Something that you are a part of.
Also, if I see a guy wearing some fsas and I'm wearing some too (I always do) then we will usually exchange nods or something, which I think is really cool because it's part of the family.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
billabong is a surfing company if im not mistaken
so you wearing a gibson or fender shirt would be the equivalent to a surfer wearing a billabong shirt?
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Fox and Billabong are not designer names. First of all it is quality. If you buy a shirt at Walmart it will shrink, and wear out a lot quicker than if you were to buy a brand name shirt at Macy's. By paying $25 bucks for that T shirt, or $55 for that dress shirt, $40 for the jeans, and $100 for the Nikes, you are buying into quality not neccessarily the brand. Believe me I have bought shoes at Payless that were stylish for like $15, they fell apart after three weeks. I bought a pair of Nikes a year ago, they still look and feel new.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by maidenfan15
Strangely, I'm the opposite. If I see somebody walking around with a Led Zeppelin shirt who can't name any song besides Stairway, I rage.

Same thing with all these chavs wearing Tapout shirts. Whenever I ask them who their favorite fighter is they say KIMBO SLICE BECUZ HE IS TEH UBBER COOLZ ON TEH INTERWEBZ
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
Quote by freshtunes
Fox and Billabong are not designer names. First of all it is quality. If you buy a shirt at Walmart it will shrink, and wear out a lot quicker than if you were to buy a brand name shirt at Macy's. By paying $25 bucks for that T shirt, or $55 for that dress shirt, $40 for the jeans, and $100 for the Nikes, you are buying into quality not neccessarily the brand. Believe me I have bought shoes at Payless that were stylish for like $15, they fell apart after three weeks. I bought a pair of Nikes a year ago, they still look and feel new.

i bought nikes and they fell apart (literally) in two weeks it seems i bought into the brand not necessarily the quality
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
I have T-shirts that cost $50

My friend just bought an Original Fake shirt for about $400. That to me is excessive. But he likes it, its his money, so whats the big deal?

I mean, some people pay $4000 for a piece of wood with strings and pickups. Crazy people.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]