hey guys, i bought a set of knobs for my guitar but i really dont know how to put them on the pots. i'll attach a picture of one of them, just give me simple instructions. thanks

periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
take off the old knob.....put on new knob
simple as that. make sure the pot is secured in the guitar nicely....and make sure you know where 0 and 10 are.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Ebony)
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
the knob just doesn't stay on tight, i'm not sure if i got the right kind for the type of pot i have
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
the pots should be universal to any knob. if there is enough room, use a small piece of a toothpick as a shim to get a better fit, dont use glue, cause you'll never get the knob off after.
My Gear
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
hmm, by what exactly do you mean shim?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
like, put the piece of tooth pick between where the peg of the pot and the hole of the knob meet, in between them, so it tightens the space between them
My Gear
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
A good tip I read (and used) recently is to take a piece of normal kitchen cling film, fold it neatly so it fits over the top of the pot shaft with enough extra to fit partway down the sides, and push the knob down on top. It creates a nice tight fit, only takes a few seconds and is non destructive.
Fender Thinline Tele 69' RI --- Gibson SG Special --- Epiphone Dot with Bigsby --- Squier Custom Tele II P90 --- Saga LP kit --- Yamaha FG-403MS acoustic
i might think that the knob is not the right size for the pot though. on stewmacs website, there's the option of 6mm and 1/4 inch knobs, i ordered the 6mm ones, but i measured the split shaft diameter and it was about 5mm, so i really dont know...
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
The toothpick trick works, it's what I usually use on stripped out knobs, but unless you can fit two shims, one on either side, the knob will "wobble".

For a mismatched size, the seran wrap works, so does electrical tape, aluminum foil, duct tape, you name it.
You guys are doing it wrong. This is a split shaft pot. TS, with a pair of pliers or a pick or something else that's thin and pointy you can separate the two halves of the pot's shaft a bit more. Try doing that and fitting the knob on till you get a tight fit.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Echoing what asfastasdark said.

You can even use a small slotted screwdriver to do it. I did it on my guitar when the volume knob started to fall off. Took the knob off, fiddled with the pot a bit and put the knob back on. No problems since!
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
i was away from my computer for a bit, but i figured out a solution that i guess only some knobs use, there's a little screw on this knob that i tightened over the pot then it stayed in, so idk, these were the knobs i used http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Knobs/Dome_knobs/Dome_Knob.html
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Ah, well, yes.

Set screw knobs are exactly designed to do just that!

@ WinterSteel:

That works for small discrepancies, but caution, I have snapped off the side of an old CTS pot from a 50's Tele doing that...

..that was a bad day.

The owner (a curator of a small instrument museum) was less than pleased.

Have you ever priced CTS split shaft 500k pots?