I've recently started looking into GFS pickups. What are people's thoughts? I'm specifically interested in:
Fat Pat
Crunchy Pat
Crunchy Rails

Anything else that sounds similar to a Seymour Duncan JB.
Thanks.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I've heard GFS pickups are excellent pickups for the money, though I've never played them myself.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
One sentence.

You get what you pay for.

I didn't find GFS to be any way comparable to Seymour Duncan or DiMarzios (which by the way are very mid range pickups).

However, for what you pay, GFS pickups are reasonably decent.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 30, 2009,
The GFS pickups I've played have just been ok. None of them sound like a JB that I'm aware of.
A used JB shouldn't cost all that much. If you want a JB, just get a JB. It's a very distinctive sounding pickup.
Quote by ragingkitty
One sentence.

You get what you pay for.

I didn't find GFS to be any way comparable to Seymour Duncan or DiMarzios (which by the way are very mid range pickups).

However, for what you pay, GFS pickups are reasonably decent.

Very good way to put it. Though I don't agree with your "midrangey" blanket statement.
the crunchy rails do not sound like a jb and are not modeled after the jb. you might want to take it off your list if your going for a jb clone. i cant speak for the other two

from my experience though, gfs pups are very good value for the money(especially the mean90). good customer service as well. most other people share the same opinion. its rare youll find someone with a bad gfs experience

go for it
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
there great for replacing old stock pickups in entry level and "import" guitars.
they sound better than what used to by in my MIM strat. however, there not great. just better.
really great for project guitars. not great for, say, a Gibson Les Paul.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
there great for replacing old stock pickups in entry level and "import" guitars.
they sound better than what used to by in my MIM strat. however, there not great. just better.
really great for project guitars. not great for, say, a Gibson Les Paul.

This is exactly where I agree. I tossed a pair of the VEH into my Gio, and it made it sound a ton better. As good as a vintage PAF? No, but extremely good for the $40 each they cost me.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by forsaknazrael
Very good way to put it. Though I don't agree with your "midrangey" blanket statement.

Well, that's how I view them.

I really don't think they are all that great tbh. Yes, they have their unique offerings, but there are significantly better pickup manufacturers out there.

I'm not likely to pick up a Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio any more myself, but that's me. I know that a lot of people disagree with this opinion... but
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Well, that's how I view them.

I really don't think they are all that great tbh. Yes, they have their unique offerings, but there are significantly better pickup manufacturers out there.

I'm not likely to pick up a Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio any more myself, but that's me.

I'm not saying there aren't better companies. There are dozens upon dozens of different ones.

But to say they're all "midrangey" is a blanket statement. they have many different models, and each have their own tonal differences.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm not saying there aren't better companies. There are dozens upon dozens of different ones.

But to say they're all "midrangey" is a blanket statement. they have many different models, and each have their own tonal differences.

No, mid range as in "mid range" sound quality & company position vs other manufacturers. Not mid range as in "mid range frequencies emphasis".
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by forsaknazrael
lulz, then I retract my statement. i've heard people say that about them, or other companies, and I cringe about it, haha.

Haha, no worries. I can understand how that came about.

I agree where you are coming from regarding the pup's tonal qualities. A number of players haven't taken the time to try and to understand the difference in tones and frequency emphasis of the different pups.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'll save up and get that JB/Jazz set after all. d
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by ragingkitty
Haha, no worries. I can understand how that came about.

I agree where you are coming from regarding the pup's tonal qualities. A number of players haven't taken the time to try and to understand the difference in tones and frequency emphasis of the different pups.

True.
A JB and a distortion sound vastly different, and what differences are there? the magnet. they use the same wire coils, just a different magnet.

The JB/Jazz isn't a bad set, though I prefer the '59 to the Jazz.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Any particular reason you settled on that set?

I think the the JB/Jazz is a bit over done. Not that great, IMO.

Well to some extent, if he's new to pups and the impact pups have on his tone, I think it's a decent start.

Generic? Sure, however, generic is good for players new to pup upgrades because it allows them to achieve common tones until they develop a more defined sense of what they want to hear.

I went through a large number of pups before I knew what I was looking for in a pup.

If the TS is as new to pup changes as I think he is, I'd say its a good start. Probably not the greatest, but at least he probably won't want to swap it out after 3 weeks (which has happened to me before).
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
For the money, GFS pickups are hard to beat. They are kinda middle-of-the-road though.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??