Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Basically all the answers above. I'm just agreeing.

Photons are a combo of particles and waves.
Quote by darkstar2466
Don't fret man.
Quote by dark&broken
Wave/particle duality. Look it up.
Doesn't that apply to electrons too? Those have mass.

Photons are just ****ing special.

Light can act as both a particle and as a wave form.
I thought light was just particles that move in wave-like motions.
Last edited by guitarhero_764 at Sep 30, 2009,
Photons are allowed to divide by zero.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Even if they did have a ****load of mass, and even if they moved slowly. They'd still be going at light speed
They're making all the rules.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by joshua122593
Light is like gamma particles.

It has no mass.

That sounded like you were telling a joke. **** those gamma particles, being all harmful and ****.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by SteveHouse

+1

Also, light can act as a wave and a particle. So no, it doesn't travel only in particles.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Light travels in photons, which are waves that can act like particles. It is just energy that can be converted to mass.
Quote by §ArmyofAngels§
+1

Also, light can act as a wave and a particle. So no, it doesn't travel only in particles.
If it can only be emitted in photons, and photons are particles, then..
Quote by SteveHouse

*ducks and covers from the dividing by zero *
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Quote by guitarhero_764

Photons

Are not

Particles!

Photons are photons. They act like a wave in some ways and like a particle in others. They have no mass. That's why it's mass can't increase; how can something increase if it doesn't exist?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Again, I thought every small particle acted like a wave and a particle(like electrons, don't they act like waves to explain their orbits?). It isn't just limited to photons.
They have no rest mass, which is the important thing. Photons are point particles, i.e. they don't take up any actual space (which isn't really relevant, but it's interesting). If you were travelling at light speed with a photon, it wouldn't have any mass. But if you were standing still and a photon came speeding towards you, it would have relativistic mass. Special Relativity, bro.

NB: That is my understanding. I assume no responsibility if it's completely wrong.
Official Member of the 'Fly your australian flag high club' for the really patriotic Australians: P.M Dire straits to join
Quote by guitarhero_764

See the post above you.

Shit, I don't know; I'm not a scientist. Photons are special. let's just leave it at that. Because that's as far as I can take it, besides bringing up the whole wave/particle duality thing.

See DirgeHumani's post.

Also, I was going to point that out, but I forgot. vv
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Last edited by §ArmyofAngels§ at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by guitarhero_764
If light can only travel in particles, how can it reach the speed of light without its mass becoming infinite? Serious question.

It IS light. However fast it goes is the speed of light. If I'm in my car doing 35mph, it doesn't matter how heavy my car is or how it goes 35mph, the speed of my car is still 35mph. Right?

The speed of light is relative to the speed of light.
CAN I GET A +1?!
Quote by baddog144
If you were travelling at light speed with a photon, it wouldn't have any mass. But if you were standing still and a photon came speeding towards you, it would have relativistic mass.
:O *mind-blown*

I don't understand.

The speed of light is relative to the speed of light.
You know what I meant. The 186,000 mps number.
Quote by guitarhero_764

I don't understand.

E=MC^2.

Hence, M=E/(C^2).

So light, which is pure energy for all intents and purposes, can have mass under certain circumstances.
Quote by guitarhero_764

I don't understand.

An object's mass varies depending on where you observe it from. We're getting into things I don't completely understand, but here goes. If you take an apple, and fire it at an immense speed towards an observer, the observer sees an apple hurtling towards him with a huge amount of mass (let's say 10000 tons), and a huge amount of energy, since they're equivalent.
BUT!
If you were travelling alongside the apple, at the same speed, you would see the apple as having a mass of 100g, say.

To put it another way: bearing in mind mass and energy are equivalent, what has more energy? a bullet travelling at a snails pace, or a bullet travelling at 100km/h. The latter. Which has more mass? The latter.

I just realized this is pretty irrelevant to the thread, but oh well. It's interesting, if confusing. The whole point of relativity is that everything depends on where you are relative to anything else.
Official Member of the 'Fly your australian flag high club' for the really patriotic Australians: P.M Dire straits to join
Quote by baddog144
An object's mass varies depending on where you observe it from. We're getting into things I don't completely understand, but here goes. If you take an apple, and fire it at an immense speed towards an observer, the observer sees an apple hurtling towards him with a huge amount of mass (let's say 10000 tons), and a huge amount of energy, since they're equivalent.
BUT!
If you were travelling alongside the apple, at the same speed, you would see the apple as having a mass of 100g, say.

To put it another way: bearing in mind mass and energy are equivalent, what has more energy? a bullet travelling at a snails pace, or a bullet travelling at 100km/h. The latter. Which has more mass? The latter.

I just realized this is pretty irrelevant to the thread, but oh well. It's interesting, if confusing. The whole point of relativity is that everything depends on where you are relative to anything else.

Add relative before almost every 'mass' and 'energy' in there, and it is pretty sound.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Add relative before almost every 'mass' and 'energy' in there, and it is pretty sound.

Oh yes
Quote by Dirge Humani
Holes in the ground can get larger.

Different, there is a hole in the ground to begin with. A hole is a volume. I'm not arguing the actual subject (QP) because you most likely know a lot more about the subject than I do.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
Different, there is a hole in the ground to begin with. A hole is a volume. I'm not arguing the actual subject (QP) because you most likely know a lot more about the subject than I do.

I was trying to make a pedantic analogy. It was a pretty bad one.
Quote by Dirge Humani
I was trying to make a pedantic analogy. It was a pretty bad one.

I assumed that, but felt like talking anyway

All of this interests me so much, but I don't want to study it? I want to just sit in lectures and listen to people talk without having to do any maths or work.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Jesstaa
Even if they did have a ****load of mass, and even if they moved slowly. They'd still be going at light speed
They're making all the rules.

They could suddenly just go 5 mph, which would instantly be the new speed of light
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo

They could suddenly just go 5 mph, which would instantly be the new speed of light

But they couldn't, and I forget why. But again, it's something to do with their mass
Quote by Dirge Humani
Holes in the ground can get larger.

Where is your quantum god now Steve?????
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Holy singularity batman!

Yes it is.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by magnus_maximus
For one thing, if they lost all that kinetic energy they 'have', it'd have to go somewhere. If it turned to mass, we'd be fucked.

There's that, but there's something else, and it goes for all point particles. I can't remember it!

On a sidenote, another interesting thing about massless particles is that they don't experience time, due to their speed. That's how scientists found out neutrinos weren't massless, because they observed change in them, which would be impossible if neutrinos did not experience time due to travelling at c, which is only possible for massless particles.

*whew*
Page 1 of 2