Hi all,

I've been wanting to play some Kyuss in the correct tuning, but I'm not sure how to tune to C... I can find that on UG I believe so that shouldn't be a problem I hope.
But I also heard that some guitars don't take well to lower tunings, so can I use my strat copy for this tuning?
you'll need some beefier strings 11's will work, i use em for standard down to C. my friend does it on his strat copy. and all you do is drop every string 2 whole steps. low to high, C-F-Bb-Eb-G-C. i used to have a seperate guitar for C tuning and i've got some 13's on it.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.

Me
Last edited by tyler112493 at Sep 30, 2009,
Do you have a tuner? If yes, set the tuner 2 steps, (4 half steps) to C and tune all strings. If you do not have a tuner, get a tuner. You'll want thicker gauge strings once you get to C.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Thanks for the quick reply

Alright... so doing it with my current standard strings would harm them/my guitar? And does it matter what kind of bridge I have?

Also, I suppose I'm going to have to tune it down by ear, right? Because I wouldn't know how to do it with my particular tuner... it's a Yamaha YT-150, if anyone knows how I could use it for this I'd be much obliged.
and he's ^ right, you will definitely need a tuner.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.

Me
yeah, you'll have to tune it down by ear, but they have online tuners that play the notes in C tuning. i use them when i can't find mine. i use this one
http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/
you got to scroll down the tunings a bit for C standard.

Me
Last edited by tyler112493 at Sep 30, 2009,
Hm well I do have one but I've no clue how to set it down two steps... as far as I can tell I can switch from guitar to bass, change the Hz and the notes... help?

Hm it's going to be quite a task to do it by ear I suppose... I really need more ear training.
Last edited by MrKoks at Sep 30, 2009,
Tuning to C is basically tuning two steps down, or rather, adding 4 flats to your standard high E (E -> Eb -> D -> Db -> C). Most tuners have a function where you can add flats, so yours probably does too (you should be able to add flats by using "tone" or "pitch" on your tuner). So just add 4 flats and you'll be able to tune in C. Light gauge strings will have less tension though, and sound floppy, so use heavier gauge strings instead (as mentioned above, 12's or 13's will work fine). You'll also probably want to adjust your truss rod to avoid fret buzz and such.
Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
Hm I'm starting to think it might be a better idea to wait until I have two guitars... then just put one in C and keep one in standard, cause I know myself, I won't want to do all this work and then put it back after like two days... plus I'm a little nervous about fiddling with the truss rod and such.

And yea I can change the pitch on my tuner, but that adjusts the Hz, so for future reference, how do I use that to add flats? (Yes, I'm a noob. )
Hm these sites are pretty cool but am I the only one who finds it really hard to tune this way? I mean, I'm just supposed to hear if the tones match exactly... :/
Buy a chromatic tuner at your local guitar shop, it is so ****ing easy to tune to drop c with it or for that matter any other tuning. I got the Boss TU-80 i think its called, it does the trick very well, best money ever spend!
Well, I might once my income returns...

But for now, I guess it's ear training for me.

Still looking for an answer about my tuner though..

Quote by MrKoks
And yea I can change the pitch on my tuner, but that adjusts the Hz, so for future reference, how (if at all) do I use that to add flats?
Edit,nevermind that it screwed up.
Just tune down so that each string passes through the green light four times.If that makes sense.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Last edited by Ian hawkins at Oct 1, 2009,
Wow it actually works that way? Lol I hadn't figured...

Will try later. Need some new strings first though so later is going to be a while yet.