Page 1 of 2
A cutaway body

Low action

6 strings (not 12)

Medium/Small size body

Pretty inlays (centered dots have gotten SO annoying)

Sounds good

Also looks good. None of that natural light tan crap

Anyone got any suggestions?
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Last edited by GODhimself37 at Sep 30, 2009,
Any of the Godin series of guitars. Simon and Patrick, Seagull, Norman, etc. I dunno, what price range you looking at?
Quote by LordBishek
Any of the Godin series of guitars. Simon and Patrick, Seagull, Norman, etc. I dunno, what price range you looking at?

Anything really

Godin is ugly btw i just looked.

and seagulls headstocks are ugly

Well, if you got that much dough to throw around, go look at Guild, Taylor, Martin, Gibson. I can't advise you on a specific model because I've never had a chance to play many, but I'd say all are renowned for their craftsmanship and playability, so you should be able to find a model that satisfies virtually every requirement there.

TBH, I'd still go with the Godin family or Tanglewood (If you're in the UK, dunno if they export), their high end ones are still pretty amazing and much easier on the piggy bank.

Ooh, I'd also have a look at Maton, but they're hard to get hold of outside of Australia/New Zealand. They're still fantastic guitars though.
Quote by LordBishek
Well, if you got that much dough to throw around, go look at Guild, Taylor, Martin, Gibson. I can't advise you on a specific model because I've never had a chance to play many, but I'd say all are renowned for their craftsmanship and playability, so you should be able to find a model that satisfies virtually every requirement there.

TBH, I'd still go with the Godin family or Tanglewood (If you're in the UK, dunno if they export), their high end ones are still pretty amazing and much easier on the piggy bank.

Ooh, I'd also have a look at Maton, but they're hard to get hold of outside of Australia/New Zealand. They're still fantastic guitars though.

do all of these brands fit what im looking for? cuz a low action and small body thats cutaway are my main things im looking for

Well I dunno, go look on the website. But for a small body and a cutaway, maybe ovation? I know that some of the brands, at least Taylor make "baby" size guitars 3/4 scale dreadnoughts that still sound pretty good. Mebbe one of them?
Quote by LordBishek
Well I dunno, go look on the website. But for a small body and a cutaway, maybe ovation? I know that some of the brands, at least Taylor make "baby" size guitars 3/4 scale dreadnoughts that still sound pretty good. Mebbe one of them?

i love the Breedlove brand, but i just cant find a guitar that truly is what im looking for. thanks for the advice anyways

you need to tell us a price range
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by i_don't_know
Since you said you don't have a price range, I'm going to have to suggest you commission a custom Baranik.

http://www.baranikguitars.com/

Have fun.

holy fu ck.

if he cut the price down oh i dunno about FIVE GRAND i might get one. They are really pretty. But no color variation really :/

i want an acoustic with a beautiful color about it. like one of those crazy lookin breedloves. How come there isnt an acoustic version of warmoth?

Quote by GODhimself37
holy fu ck.

if he cut the price down oh i dunno about FIVE GRAND i might get one. They are really pretty. But no color variation really :/

i want an acoustic with a beautiful color about it. like one of those crazy lookin breedloves. How come there isnt an acoustic version of warmoth?

Mike Baranik is a luthier who builds CUSTOM guitars. You're paying for the best of the best in materials and workmanship. And you can have it look and sound however you like by choosing all the woods and details.

As far as cheap customs go, maybe go with a Covey? He's a member over at AGF and from what I've heard, his work is very impressive for the price, despite his lack of training. Also, for a bit extra, you can even design your own body shape (explains some of the weird shapes on his site) - but I advise against doing this unless you know what you're doing.

http://www.coveysguitars.com/

EDIT: Here's a sound clip of a ridiculously short scale guitar someone commissioned through him: http://www.billpillmore.com/CoveyQuinto.html
Last edited by i_don't_know at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by obeythepenguin
*wall of text*

if i dont like the look of a guitar, im not gonna spend a grand or more on it. its not stupid its personal preference and common sense. and if im on stage, a beautiful guitar will catch the attention alot better than some copy/paste acoustic. I agree with the your dot argument, but having small diamonds or something instead would just be more appealing to me. Or no inlays at all.

Wanting to like the look of your guitar is not a stupid reason to be picky at all. Otherwise all guitars would look the same

edit: and im liking the looks of some ibanez acoustics, i'll go to my local store to see how they sound. if its crap, i'll look into ordering a custom breedlove

seagull artist portrait

and i'm not just advertising it because i have one haha it's a great guitar!

EDIT: you hate seagull headstocks? i won't even say what i think about that
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Oct 1, 2009,
Most Gibsons have parallelograms...paralelo....damn it, side by side slashes for fret markers. They can be pricey though....

EDIT you aren't the only one who rejects the Seagull look. don't like the tone either, but the look=not my thing.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Oct 1, 2009,
you can lower the action of any guitar. why limit yourself when so many guitars might have somewhat higher action than you like but can be lowered by a luthier easily?

taylors usually have pretty low action out of the box, good sound and many are offered with a cutaway. i particularly like the 614ce, and can be ordered in a sunburst - see it here http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-614-CE-Grand-Auditorium-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-102067402-i1148446.gc

if you prefer something a little smaller than a grand auditorium, they also have a grand concert, although it is natural wood. it plays like a dream, sounds amazing http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-612-CE-Grand-Concert-Maple-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-103109013-i1175326.gc
Quote by patticake
you can lower the action of any guitar. why limit yourself when so many guitars might have somewhat higher action than you like but can be lowered by a luthier easily?

taylors usually have pretty low action out of the box, good sound and many are offered with a cutaway. i particularly like the 614ce, and can be ordered in a sunburst - see it here http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-614-CE-Grand-Auditorium-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-102067402-i1148446.gc

if you prefer something a little smaller than a grand auditorium, they also have a grand concert, although it is natural wood. it plays like a dream, sounds amazing http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-612-CE-Grand-Concert-Maple-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-103109013-i1175326.gc

Likin' the first Taylor, but it's disappointing the the smaller version doesn't have a sunburst option. Unless it's there and the website isn't showing it

Quote by GODhimself37
Wanting to like the look of your guitar is not a stupid reason to be picky at all. Otherwise all guitars would look the same

edit: and im liking the looks of some ibanez acoustics, i'll go to my local store to see how they sound. if its crap, i'll look into ordering a custom breedlove

It doesn't matter what your guitar looks like. You won't be looking at it when you play it.

As well, pretty much all the new Ibanez guitars with those flashy finishes are pretty horribly built guitars.

With acoustic guitars, generally as it gets more flashy, the less well built it is. Quality and "good", flashy looks are inversely related.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
It doesn't matter what your guitar looks like. You won't be looking at it when you play it.

As well, pretty much all the new Ibanez guitars with those flashy finishes are pretty horribly built guitars.

With acoustic guitars, generally as it gets more flashy, the less well built it is. Quality and "good", flashy looks are inversely related.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love the look of the Martin's, but the ones i like are HUGE. And all I'm really asking for a color other than brown.

Anyways I'm sure I'll find something I like. If not I'll get Breedlove to make me a custom one.

There's a reason most acoustic guitars have clear finishes - clearer usually means thinner, and the thinner the finish, the less muffled the sound. Also, it's pretty much locked into tradition at this point.

Is having a color-finished guitar really worth missing out on a bit of clarity to you?
breedloves are among the stiffest guitars to play that i've laid fingers on. they have a long scale as opposed to seagulls, some taylors, gibsons and martins that have a short scale, which makes them easier to play. there's also something else about the breedloves - i don't know what it is, but i had a sales guy change the strings to lighter strings and adjust the action and the one he did it to was STILL stiffer than other guitars for me - maybe the headstock or neck angle adds a little length to the strings. i really wanted one, so it was a big disappointment.

you can order a custom taylor, btw, choosing your inlays from an interesting list.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/buildtoorder/TaylorInlayGuide.pdf

Quote by GODhimself37
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love the look of the Martin's, but the ones i like are HUGE. And all I'm really asking for a color other than brown.

Anyways I'm sure I'll find something I like. If not I'll get Breedlove to make me a custom one.
Quote by i_don't_know
There's a reason most acoustic guitars have clear finishes - clearer usually means thinner, and the thinner the finish, the less muffled the sound. Also, it's pretty much locked into tradition at this point.

Is having a color-finished guitar really worth missing out on a bit of clarity to you?

this is exactly what i was going to say, but here it is lol there's a reason most guitars are done in a clear or matte finish. really lets the wood sing. and thats the whole point of an "acoustic" instrument, isn't it?
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by patticake
breedloves are among the stiffest guitars to play that i've laid fingers on. they have a long scale as opposed to seagulls, some taylors, gibsons and martins that have a short scale, which makes them easier to play. there's also something else about the breedloves - i don't know what it is, but i had a sales guy change the strings to lighter strings and adjust the action and the one he did it to was STILL stiffer than other guitars for me - maybe the headstock or neck angle adds a little length to the strings. i really wanted one, so it was a big disappointment.

you can order a custom taylor, btw, choosing your inlays from an interesting list.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/buildtoorder/TaylorInlayGuide.pdf

True, but they can't dye the wood? Or flame the wood? There's gotta be a way to do it, it's the 21st century...

Anyways I'll just try them all out before i make a decision. who knows maybe I won't care about looks once i actually play the guitars. And I do like to bend my strings and use a legato technique to who knows maybe gibson or taylor is for me.

I have always liked Taylor too

^ They dont/cant because if you're going to pay $3000+, you're buying it for the sound.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
^ They dont/cant because if you're going to pay $3000+, you're buying it for the sound.

True, but 3 grand for a guitar you don't like the look of doesn't seem very appealing. I guess it's just my personal taste. And I'm sure if I play it i'll have a second opinion. But I am liking the Taylor's

^ Maybe so, but instruments are for producing beautiful sounds. Not for looking good. Electric guitars can get away with looking nicer because they're thick, solid pieces of wood. You can shape or colour them however you want and it doesn't really make much of a difference in the tone. An acoustic guitar can't be treated the same way because the body needs to vibrate in a specific way.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
^ Maybe so, but instruments are for producing beautiful sounds. Not for looking good. Electric guitars can get away with looking nicer because they're thick, solid pieces of wood. You can shape or colour them however you want and it doesn't really make much of a difference in the tone. An acoustic guitar can't be treated the same way because the body needs to vibrate in a specific way.

exactly. but my argument is, how come we haven't found other ways to get the same, if not better tone out of something new? We put a man on the moon, I'm sure we can figure out a way to get spectacular tone through something revolutionary

We just don't seem to have any innovators

Better tone? Research on acoustic pickup technology and bracing patterns are always ongoing. It's impossible to make the guitar sound any "better" acoustically because it's already at the limits of what physics will allow. This is as good as it's going to get.

As for your comparison to getting a man on the moon... You can't use that kind of logic. Asking someone to invent something to produce "better tone" is like asking someone to reinvent the tree. Wood has physical limitations. There ARE carbon fibre guitars out there. They have their uses, but don't sound anywhere close to as good as wooden guitars.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Better tone? Research on acoustic pickup technology and bracing patterns are always ongoing. It's impossible to make the guitar sound any "better" acoustically because it's already at the limits of what physics will allow. This is as good as it's going to get.

As for your comparison to getting a man on the moon... You can't use that kind of logic. Asking someone to invent something to produce "better tone" is like asking someone to reinvent the tree. Wood has physical limitations. There ARE carbon fibre guitars out there. They have their uses, but don't sound anywhere close to as good as wooden guitars.

But there's gotta be a different way to build the body, and it still have the same tone. I didn't really mean better tone like literally

There isn't. We've basically perfected the shape of the guitar.

In any case, nobody will build an acoustic guitar with looks specifically in mind. The design is optimized for sound production. If you compromise that, you're no longer playing an instrument, but a fashion statement. And that would make you a poser.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate

I don't know, I would probably never truly be happy with my guitar if I didn't like its looks. So I kinda understand wanting it to look a certain way.
Quote by HeavyMetalMan28
I don't know, I would probably never truly be happy with my guitar if I didn't like its looks. So I kinda understand wanting it to look a certain way.

I agree to an extent and I used to think the exact same, to e honest. It's psychology. If you like how your guitar looks, you are more likely to pick it up and play it. However, this applies a lot more to beginners than experienced players. Experienced guitarists will appreciate the tone that much more than the looks.
Equipment:

Quote by GODhimself37
exactly. but my argument is, how come we haven't found other ways to get the same, if not better tone out of something new? We put a man on the moon, I'm sure we can figure out a way to get spectacular tone through something revolutionary

Ovation tried to revolutionize guitar construction. We all know how that turned out.

In all seriousness, the reason most manufacturers don't spend their money trying to reinvent the guitar is because most guitarists don't want it to be reinvented. If you change things too dramatically, you don't end up with a guitar.

Also, "spectacular tone" is completely arbitrary (and subjective). No one can make some universal modification that will make all new guitars sound "good" because there will always be old-fashioned curmudgeons like me who want them to sound "how they've always sounded."

Edit: And NASA has a pretty big budget. Given the same resources you'd see some seriously good (and expensive) instruments.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by obeythepenguin
Wanting it to look a certain way is understandable. But wanting it to look a certain way at the expense of sound and playability? Form follows function: Appearance derives from, and is secondary in importance to, sound.

That's what i was going for. Tone comes first always, but I just want to the looks to be there as well

Learn to appreciate the beauty of wood. Have you ever seen a guitar with a spalted maple rosette? How about snakewood binding?

Or maybe Brazilian rosewood back and sides? (sorry, big picture. also, this is not me)

Or maybe bubinga back and sides?

Also, I noticed you suggested companies flame the wood. Flaming isn't a process, it's a random figure that pops up naturally in certain trees. The same goes for spalted maple, curly redwood, bearclaw spruce, etc. And sinker redwood also has some amazing colors, but it looks like that because it's been under water for a ridiculous amount of time. The more you know...

Also, if you want something innovative:
http://www.babiczguitars.com/spider.shtml
No guarantees on the sound, though, as I've never played one. Also, it has a mahogany soundboard, which is pretty weird - mahogany is usually only used for back and sides (as well as the neck). Try one out if you can. I've heard that they sound like "the system has been changed too much" - in other words, the conventional guitar design has been altered so much that it no longer sounds the way a guitar should.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Oct 2, 2009,
^ Spalted maple can be made artificially, if I'm not mistaken. Spalted maple is maple that is on the verge of rotting. It makes a funky pattern, but weaker wood. It's used on electric guitars sometimes and on acoustic guitars as crappy laminate.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
^ Spalted maple can be made artificially, if I'm not mistaken. Spalted maple is maple that is on the verge of rotting. It makes a funky pattern, but weaker wood. It's used on electric guitars sometimes and on acoustic guitars as crappy laminate.

Makes a beautiful rosette and binding, though. And that won't affect the sound or stability of the guitar.
Quote by i_don't_know
Learn to appreciate the beauty of wood. Have you ever seen a guitar with a spalted maple rosette? How about snakewood binding?

*pics*
Also, I noticed you suggested companies flame the wood. Flaming isn't a process, it's a random figure that pops up naturally in certain trees. The same goes for spalted maple, curly redwood, bearclaw spruce, etc. And sinker redwood also has some amazing colors, but it looks like that because it's been under water for a ridiculous amount of time. The more you know...

Also, if you want something innovative:
http://www.babiczguitars.com/spider.shtml
No guarantees on the sound, though, as I've never played one. Also, it has a mahogany soundboard, which is pretty weird - mahogany is usually only used for back and sides (as well as the neck). Try one out if you can. I've heard that they sound like "the system has been changed too much" - in other words, the conventional guitar design has been altered so much that it no longer sounds the way a guitar should.

I love the look of the wood, but nobody puts that on the front. Alot of acoustic guitars have the same freakin color on the front.

THIS color. I hate it (focus on the color not the guitar all i did was google "acoustic" in images and its the first thing that popped up)

Bearclaw spruce:

Sinker redwood:

Curly redwood:

Bunya:

Once again, learn to appreciate the beauty of wood.
Page 1 of 2