Which is generally better: covers? or originals?
We play metal/rock.
One of our guitarists will only learn songs that he wants to learn. Most of these are beyond the current capability of our singer and bassist.

Our other guitarist doesn't want to switch our focus to writing yet as he wants to have an hours worth of covers beforehand.

As the drummer I would really like to start writing our own stuff, and also learn a few more covers along the way so that we are playing songs that people have heard of.
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

Quote by xDeprivationx
Go for heaps of covers then do your own.

yeah he is right thats the best way to learn... and if your guitarist now doesnt cooperate well with the band you might want to consider finding a new one.. because it will only complicate things in the future...
ok. so any advice for dealing with the guitarist? seeing as the songs he wants to learn are beyond our singer and bassist at the moment.
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

If you're a cover band, learn covers. If you're an originals band, learn originals.

Know that people listen to songs that sound good. How hard a song is to play does not affect whether it sounds good. An audience member will be more impressed with someone who can play "Time of Your Life" than a Dreamtheatre song. That's the way it is.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
you need to do some covers first, this isn't to say that you can't work on originals at the same time, but by playing covers it helps your band become tighter, you are playing songs, that have already been written, already timed out, you just need to work on playing together. and that in turn transfers over to your originals when you are writing.
Quote by scguitarking927
you need to do some covers first, this isn't to say that you can't work on originals at the same time, but by playing covers it helps your band become tighter, you are playing songs, that have already been written, already timed out, you just need to work on playing together. and that in turn transfers over to your originals when you are writing.

Playing covers does get people used to playing together as a band, and this is good for beginners. There is already an existing reference as to how you want it to sound. Due to this, if a cover band is formed by experienced musicians, a setlist of 40 songs can be conquered in a month easily.

However when writing originals, there is not an existing reference. Originals force people to recognise what the other band members see in the prospective song, and add their parts to it. Communication is key.

One advantage with originals, if one must be focussed on playing the "hardest" part they can, is that they can create their own part which can be as hard or easy as the person wishes. However, the "tightness" in a originals band comes through recognition of the songs and practice together, whilst a cover band made of experienced musicians can be instantly "tight".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
i'd say try and manage both as much as you can. I myself, basically just write stuff and make music, instead of learning other songs and techniques and such. Which basically makes me.. A kinda good musician, and a not-so-genius guitarist. I'll have to work on my instrument-skills themselves soon, instead of just letting it go in my clouds of creativity, hehe.

So yea, try and manage both, if possible.

Though, basically.. if you wanna have fun, covers are great, if you want to leave your mark, if YOU want to be reckonized for the work you do, or have a big desire to make your own stuff, then make that a priority
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Start with a few covers (enough for a small set) and then start working on originals.
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
If you wanna write originals I think the best way to go is jumping right into it.
Start off with some covers, and then move into originals. That said, if you do get inspired by something, run it by the band anyway.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
use covers to get you tight and feel eachother out - especially if this is your first band/beginner musicians. Than focus alot on writing good songs