Hey guys, I want to get either a delay or reverb pedal, but I have no idea what the difference is between them. I don't even know much about either of them to begin with. So if you guys could tell me some stuff about them and answer some questions for me, that'd be great.

First off, I play a lot of alternative, and I've been getting into some post rock, too. The bands I've been listening to a lot lately are the red Hot Chili Peppers, Explosions in the Sky, and Silversun Pickups. And a few more alternative-ish bands that use a lot of clean guitar tones with reverb/delay. I'd like to be able to achieve a sound like in these songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDAiYlZDZKU (Mostly just the sound of the solo at the end, and the riff at 1:53-2:10. And that muting thing he does in the beginning.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaBjXGKCIg4 (Whatever pedal he's using to get that sound in the beginning at 0:11 is awesome.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIK5FaC38w (The tone of this whole song is amazing. If you guys know what kind of effects make that sound, please do share.)

I play a Fender Competition Mustang from '93-94 through a decent bass amp because my only guitar amp is terrible. Just in case you guys were wondering. The only other pedals/effects I have are a Boss DS-1 Distortion and a Boss SD-1 Overdrive.

If you want to know anything else, just ask.

Thanks guys!
Music.

PSN: JSniper-
Add me, and say you're from UG.

And yeah, I did make that name up when I was 13.
Last edited by Scoot16 at Sep 30, 2009,
reverb is a longer smear of the sound, delay is a direct echo of it..
make sense?
Well, for post-rock you'd need a lot of pedals. If you want to stay with the basics, since you already have dirt, I suggest picking up both a delay (Ibanez DE7 cheap, amazing budget delays) and a reverb (Line 6 Verbzillas are standard, or Hardwire RV7s).

Froosh is using a wah, so if you want the tone he's getting at 1:53 I suggest you wait a couple weeks and pickup an Ibanez WH10 which is a reissue of the exact wah he's using.
reverb is like a natural echo while delay is a delayed repeat of the sound
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
^--- What he said. Post-rock bands usually use lots of effects, with both reverb and delay being the main ones. If it were me, I'd get a delay first, as you can toy around with it a lot more. Then get a reverb pedal. Either Boss for delay, Electro Harmonix Holy Grail for reverb.
Member #6 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
This was the best description I heard when I was younger and getting into this stuff:

Let's say you play a c minor chord:

Reverb = cccccccccc mmmmmmiiiiinnnnoooooorrrrrrrrr

Delay = c minor c minor c minor c minor

Does this even make sense on a forum?!

I think you should go to guitar center and check out the big Boss display they usually have, and just mess around.
Basically, reverb makes it sound like you're playing in a larger room, and delay repeats the note multiple times and you can adjust the amount of repeats and how much time is in between each
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by punk_mike_88
^--- What he said. Post-rock bands usually use lots of effects, with both reverb and delay being the main ones. If it were me, I'd get a delay first, as you can toy around with it a lot more. Then get a reverb pedal. Either Boss for delay, Electro Harmonix Holy Grail for reverb.

Holy Grail isnt the best idea for post rock.

TS, maybe pick up a Boss RV-3? It has both reverb and delay
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Holy Grail isnt the best idea for post rock.

TS, maybe pick up a Boss RV-3? It has both reverb and delay

I have a Boss RV-3, it is a very nice pedal. About 100 bucks on ebay.

I think it would meet your needs well.
Quote by Rutch
This was the best description I heard when I was younger and getting into this stuff:

I think you should go to guitar center and check out the big Boss display they usually have, and just mess around.

Haha I like that description. Thanks.

That's what I'll probably do.
Music.

I've never seen an octopus riding a unicorn, but I want one of those too! the tone is awesome that way!

TS, WTF are you talking about!?!?!? you want a reverb... or a delay... but don't know wtf they do??? fvck's sake man, go play one!

kudos on listening to explosions in the sky tho.

and why has no one told this guy yet that reverb = room simulation, plain and simple!

nope, instead all we've got is "oh, yeah, it's great man. you should probably get a boss, they're the best."

I want so very badly to rip off the jaws of most of the people in this thread and vomit down your throats until you asphyxiate on my puke.
Quote by GrisKy
I've never seen an octopus riding a unicorn, but I want one of those too! the tone is awesome that way!

TS, WTF are you talking about!?!?!? you want a reverb... or a delay... but don't know wtf they do??? fvck's sake man, go play one!

and why has no one told this guy yet that reverb = room simulation, plain and simple!

nope, instead all we've got is "oh, yeah, it's great man. you should probably get a boss, they're the best."

I want so very badly to rip off the jaws of most of the people in this thread and vomit down your throats until you asphyxiate on my puke.

Im not sure whats so bad about recommending the TS to look into an affordable piece of gear that has both the features he is looking for and is used by two of the guitarists in Explosions in the Sky, and by several other prominent bands in the same genre (such as Sigur Ros)

You offer him "kudos" for listening to a band that uses in good measure the same pedal that you bash myself and others for recommending. Also, simply stating that reverb is a room simulation conveys absolutely no practical definition as to what it actually sounds like to someone who is new to the effect.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Oct 2, 2009,
Delay is reverb that has a space between the original sound and the echo of more than 40ms.
Quote by GrisKy

It's funny how most of us want to do this to you in just about every thread you decide to voice your stupid opinion.
TS, you should look up some youtube vids of each effect and decide for yourself. However, if it were up to me, I would get a delay first because you can emulate reverb with a delay, but you can't do delays with a reverb.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
ITLIS: I'm praising Explosions on their excellent compositional skills... and btw, they'd upgrade if they could, or so they say. My cousin dated their drummer back when they were just another Austin inde band. I've had the pleasure of talking shop with those guys several times over the years.

Also, I stand by my definition of reverb, since that's exactly what it is, room simulation.

Dr.Emo: hope you're enjoying the 9th grade. hope you choke on it. if you ever get around to finding a fvcking clue, maybe you'll be able to contribute something better to the conversation than youtube. as for me, I've grown tired of warning noobs not to follow your amaturish advice.
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by Rutch

+1

This may sound off but:

Imagine yourself in a cave, where any sound is compressed to stay in a process of natural "reverberation" then you yell B Minor!

Reverb: Bbbbbbbb Miiiiinnnnooorrrrr

If you yell the same at a wide space area, without anything to reproduce it, it will bring a repeated delay that starts to fade after each repetition, which would be analog delay. Digital loses some of the nature of Analog, but in exchange, it can make longer repetition with the same quality as the first signal produced.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by GrisKy

Of course I'm going to play one. More than one, actually. I just want some background on what they do, because I'm new to them, and I rarely drive out to Guitar Center, so when I finally do, I want to have as much info on this as possible so it's not a waste.

Also, clam down son.
Music.

Quote by RR787
+1

This may sound off but:

Imagine yourself in a cave, where any sound is compressed to stay in a process of natural "reverberation" then you yell B Minor!

Reverb: Bbbbbbbb Miiiiinnnnooorrrrr

If you yell the same at a wide space area, without anything to reproduce it, it will bring a repeated delay that starts to fade after each repetition, which would be analog delay. Digital loses some of the nature of Analog, but in exchange, it can make longer repetition with the same quality as the first signal produced.

Awesome, thanks. I forgot to ask what the difference between digital and analog pedals was. But now I know.
Music.

Quote by WtrPlyr
Maybe I sound stupid, but why do you want a delay or reverb if you don't even know what it is?

Classic GAS, of course!

Example:

I knew for a fact that I MUST have a Lovetone Ring Stinger, without ever hearing it.

I still have no idea what it does, other than:

klangs, bells, metallic fx, pseudo vocoder fx, dalek noises, sci-fi atmospherics, spooky warbling, trem arpeggios, tonal toggling, touch sensitive keying, pitch crossfiring, microtonal + atonal fx, evolving drones, digeridoo fx and not least the meanest graunchiest octave fuzz ever

I don't really know what any of that means, but I know I want to play with it, then sell it in a week.

Mine is on the way!
Reverb isn't that necissary unless you're really looking for that type of sound. Delay is more of a "fun" pedal but either of those isn't really as important in alternative as getting the right clean and dirty tone i'd say. maybe get an EQ or overdrive pedal first!
What's the difference?
One sucks and one is cool. Take a guess.
Quote by nightraven
you've bought a ring stinger?!?!

Yerp, it should be here by Monday.

I already know I'm going to facepalm myself for blowing a significant chunk of real gear money on something that honestly sounds mildly useless, but the price was good enough that I can flip it easy and break even.

Maybe I'll just do one show with it, just to freak out my bandmates (and the audience), but it's so odd that I had to try it!

[/thread de-railment] sorry.
Quote by Rutch

haha nice one, indeed your correct in every sense!
Quote by GrisKy
ITLIS: I'm praising Explosions on their excellent compositional skills... and btw, they'd upgrade if they could, or so they say. My cousin dated their drummer back when they were just another Austin inde band. I've had the pleasure of talking shop with those guys several times over the years.

Also, I stand by my definition of reverb, since that's exactly what it is, room simulation.

Dont you think that if they wanted to upgrade they would have done it already instead of holding on to the same piece of gear that they dont like for 10 years? If they wanted something else, whats to stop them from selling that pedal and getting a new one? The RV-3s fetch about $120-150 on eBay, and with that money or perhaps with a bit more they would be able to afford at least a decent rack reverb. That also doesnt change the fact that the pedal is one of the staple reverbs in the genre.

I understand that that is the definition of reverb, I was simply saying that only saying only that it is a room simulation to someone new gives them no practical knowledge as to what it actually sounds like. Its like describing how the northern lights occur to someone who is curious as to what it looks like.
Board:
Quote by WtrPlyr
Maybe I sound stupid, but why do you want a delay or reverb if you don't even know what it is?

I have a general knowledge of it. I know that it creates a cool sort of echo-ish sound, and I've heard songs with an effect I really like, and I was told it was reverb and delay. I really just wanted to know the diference between the two.
Music.

Quote by GrisKy

Wow, you really need to take a deep breath. Relax, dude, you will blow a gasket if you get that wound-up because people answered a question differently than you would have.

Wait, I take that back, someone answered the question the same way you did, only they didn't need to insult everyone else in the thread, and they said it before you. I know by your profile that you don't think reading is metal enough for you to bother with, but please take the time to read the thread before bothering to type on here, otherwise you might look like a tool. Because reading comprehension is obviously not your strong point, I'll spell it out for you. Look above your post, when simpleben says, "Basically, reverb makes it sound like you're playing in a larger room", that is saying the same thing as your point that reverb is "room simulation".

BTW, I listened to some of your music on your profile, I was hoping it would be lame so I could make fun of it, but that **** is pretty tight.
Last edited by Chetbango at Oct 2, 2009,
EDIT:

whooosaaa...

ITLIS: yeah, you'd think so, but musicians can be a strange bunch. here's an example for you: a certain guitar player from a certain band that rhymes with "fly beef" blows more money on DVDs than you or I spend on rent, yet at the same time, he complains excessively about the cost of replacing this one broken-ass pedal that his tech keeps having to re-solder. I stand by the fact that being a good musician doesn't make someone a good sound engineer though.

Fiire: what?

Chet: tanks fer insultzin' mah ennglush, but my profile is more or less a joke, as is most of my time spent here. even if you're not laughing, rest assured, I am. thanks for the comments on my tracks. they're very rough and a bit of an embarrasment for me at the moment... still working on re-writes...
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 3, 2009,