I've heard a lot of talk about them but learned how to do them. So what are they? Just crazy hard exercises to make cross picking easier? and where can I get music (preferably not tab) for them? Thanks guys
i'm thinking in an pattern that my teacher gave me but not sure if we're talking about the same
You can make spider exercises easily. Just take a chromatic exercise like:

e|-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4
B|---------------------------------1-2-3-4--------
G|-------------------------1-2-3-4----------------
D|-----------------1-2-3-4------------------------
A|---------1-2-3-4--------------------------------
E|-1-2-3-4----------------------------------------

But instead of playing the notes in order, play some like:

e|-----------------------------------------1-3-2-4
B|---------------------------------1-3-2-4--------
G|-------------------------1-3-2-4----------------
D|-----------------1-3-2-4------------------------
A|---------1-3-2-4--------------------------------
E|-1-3-2-4----------------------------------------
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Spider Exercises... well, one variation on the theme at least. For the one in the video, the key bits are start very* slowly, keep as relaxed as possible, move only one finger at a time, focus on accuracy, and watch what you're left hand's doing as you may well find the wrong fingers moving at the start.

* Very slowly as in really, extremely, very, outrageously slowly.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Yeah - there are 24 different ways to do that (finally got to use my algebra skills! ) You can start with any finger as long as you exercise all of them.
Is there music for them? or a way to state how to do them? Cause I'm never gonna figure out every way
Quote by hippieboy444
Is there music for them? or a way to state how to do them? Cause I'm never gonna figure out every way

hmmm not really "music" for them, as they are not music.

Spider Exercises

Part of the fun is figuring out your own combinations though...
Last edited by chainsawguitar at Jun 9, 2011,
I find it helps best to apply them on the first 4 frets, then on frets 5-9, then on frets 12-16, and then higher if you can manage it. They just help with coordination and finger patterns.

When you've mastered a pattern, see what you can do with it.

Try string-skipping versions, back to front versions, swept versions, legato versions...if you could do all these perfectly with every finger combination you'd start to notice it'd start to improve your playing dramatically. Do this while applying economy of motion and you'll see a HUGE improvement.
--------------------------------
---------4-1-------------------
------3-------2----------------
---2-------------3-------------
1-------------------4----------

Swept...
Quote by Ikonoklast

Swept...

No I think the whole point is that they are alternate picked.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Ikonoklast

Swept...

How are Jazz III's bad? I just noticed your signature.
Quote by falconthefirst
No I think the whole point is that they are alternate picked.

Actually, you can use alternate picking, hammer-ons, you can sweep them whatever.

Remember: they are all just exercises and as long as you're doing the technique well its not wrong.
Quote by hippieboy444
How are Jazz III's bad? I just noticed your signature.

x2, and Schecters as well, incredibly well made guitars, especially the higher-end ones. And, active pickups and shred? What are you, an acoustic blues player?.

I actually have no idea what the topic is about, but just had to point that out.
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
I think he's just trolling me cause I "shred" my "schecter" with "Jazz IIIs".

Seriously though, active pickups, red Jazz threes, most "shred" and the new mid and low range schecters - and a lot of double locking systems - DO suck.
Quote by Freepower
I think he's just trolling me cause I "shred" my "schecter" with "Jazz IIIs".

Seriously though, active pickups, red Jazz threes, most "shred" and the new mid and low range schecters - and a lot of double locking systems - DO suck.

Hahaha. Nah i've just tried them all out and don't like them. I'm sick of people asking me about it now! It's almost as if i've got to qualify my taste! I will do though, one last time before i change my sig....

Schecters - Never heard one i like the tone of. They look beautiful but in my opinion they feel, play and sound bad.

Shred - Most of it is mindnumbing. Give me Gilmour over Cooley any day (and before anyone says 'check out Outworld' - yes i mean Outworld, he can't phrase for shít) (again, IMO)

Jazz III's - Too small and stubby for my liking.

Double locking trems - Fiddly. Too technical. Plus i only like subtle vibrato so i'd never use one.

Active pickups - Not organic sounding enough for me.
The only thing I'd say in earnest disagreement with you is try the old Schecters - my 007 sounds pretty decent through a good amp and I've heard nothing but good reports regarding all the mid-range stuff they made from then.

Of course, if you're comparing it to a Suhr for lead or something, then it's never gonna work.

Anyway, Perhaps you should link that post under a "Why?" in your sig.
The little number to the top right of the post (ie, #19) is a link to just that post - like so - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21981025&postcount=19

Go to your user profile and then add that link to your sig (remembering to format the link so that it just says "Why?" and not https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21981025&postcount=19
Haha. I use a schecter, with actives, and jazz III's. Damnit all. Oh well, I love all three. Though, my next guitar will absolutely have passive pickups.

I never got into spider exercises in depth. Usually just 1234 1234 etc, and the 2134 in freepower's video. Usually just end up practicing modes with different fingerings instead. I think I'm gonna start doing some more...

edit: btw freepower, thanks for your videos. I love `em.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60