Ok so my band's playing our first gig at our school Battle of the Bands this Friday. Our guitarist and I both know the song perfectly. We have played through our set 40+ times at my house, and we all played it flawlessly.

So here's where things get bad. Today, we had a dress rehearsal at our school. We basically were just going through the performance with no one else but the other bands. I went on stage feeling fine, comfortable, and confident. We were first playing a cover of "Today" by the Smashing Pumpkins, so the guitarist went ahead and played the intro once we were all ready. I remember feeling the best feeling I've ever had, just feeling like I was on top of the world.

Then the rest of the band comes in. I was playing fine, but our bassist was just terrible. We gave him two and a half weeks to learn the part. I guess he knew the part, but he just didn't play it right (he was playing way faster and getting ahead of us, played every note extremely short, didn't even play the right rhythms, etc.) He also made the mistake of turning his amp up all the way, where as the guitarist had his only at about 7 or 8. I also sing in this band, and I usually reply on the guitar chords to find the singing pitch. However, as I mentioned, I could not hear the guitar at all. So I was singing out of pitch the entire time.

So there the guitarist and I were, just desperately trying to just get through the song. And I just decide to end it about halfway through. We decided not to even do our other song, which was another cover of Pretty Fly (For a White Guy).

Afterwards, the guitarist and I were sitting, watching the other bands playing and being bummed, when the bassist comes up to us and says, "Why'd we stop I was playing so good!"

So, what should I do? I mean, normally I would just kick the bassist out of the band without any second thoughts. But this guy has been my friend for God knows how long, and he's still one of my closest friends. And he is one of the coolest people to hang out with and I'm afraid this will hurt our friendship. I haven't talked to the guitarist about this yet, so I'm not sure what he thinks.

tl;dr our bassist sucks and i want to replace him, but he is a very close friend and i'm afraid i'll hurt him

also, in b4 bassist jokes
Last edited by JazzNick67 at Sep 30, 2009,
its not like you need one anyway
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
Depends how bad you want to impress at the show. If you want a good show, get another bassist.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Kick him out of the band 1 day before the actual gig?
Quote by smiidger
I never said it was fact based on evidence. There are other kinds of fact, such as Fact based on such a large number of opinions that it cannot possibly be conscidered false.
Quote by woodenbandman
Depends how bad you want to impress at the show. If you want a good show, get another bassist.

I really want to impress at this. I begged a whole lot of my friends to come and see us. And this was before I knew that our bassist was whack.

And yes, I know we probably won't win doing covers, but we are just trying to have fun and build an audience for the next BOTB, where we WILL be doing originals.
Sounds like he got nervous. Tell him how he was actually playing, give him a chance to fix it. If he doesn't know he was doing something wrong how's he supposed to fix it?
Tell him that he needs to work on cleaning up his playing, maybe with a bit of humor so he doesn't feel like sh*t, I mean there's no way to fix the problem unless you tell him straight up, I've had to do it to fellow band mates and sometimes it works, and sometimes you just got to kick them out. Life's a bitch. :\
Remember that you're playing a school show, not Woodstock. Just let the guy know he needs to fix up his playing and walk him through the part during another one of your practices. If he still is playing like a bitch just lower his amp volume when he's not looking or just tell him you need to hear the guitars more.

Unless this guy is hired help, don't kick out one of your friends.
Quote by WilsoNw55
Tell him that he needs to work on cleaning up his playing, maybe with a bit of humor so he doesn't feel like sh*t, I mean there's no way to fix the problem unless you tell him straight up, I've had to do it to fellow band mates and sometimes it works, and sometimes you just got to kick them out. Life's a bitch. :\

life sucks. then you die.
Quote by Le_Bunny
LE shoop? It must be rad. And yes, I see potential.

P.S. nobody google 'man train'.

Quote by JazzNick67
I really want to impress at this. I begged a whole lot of my friends to come and see us. And this was before I knew that our bassist was whack.

And yes, I know we probably won't win doing covers, but we are just trying to have fun and build an audience for the next BOTB, where we WILL be doing originals.

Well, just a thought, you might have wanted to practice with your bassist before you had two days left. It's imperative that a band practices as a whole, rather than just giving a member a part to learn, and saying, "Learn this, and we'll play it." Maybe that's why he's "whack."
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
have you rehearsed with him before? if you hadn't its your fault as much as his. either get a new basist at the last minute or rehearse alot with him, its possible he was just having an off day (it happens to everyone). work on EQ stuff. and its not really his fault you were out of pitch, you should know the vocal melody without a guitar to 'give you the singing pitch', if you cant your probobly not a very good singer. but the point is rehearse more and give him notes on his performance. not very hard.
Quote by ratmblink123
Well, just a thought, you might have wanted to practice with your bassist before you had two days left. It's imperative that a band practices as a whole, rather than just giving a member a part to learn, and saying, "Learn this, and we'll play it." Maybe that's why he's "whack."

The thing is, we did practice all together before 3 or 4 times. We were just learning the song for the first couple times then, so I just thought that it was part of learning it and getting used to the song.

We also practiced this week, over the weekend. He did better today compared to then, but it was still pretty bad. I told him there that he still needed to work on the stuff, and he just told me that he was having an off day. So I just replied, "Ok, but make sure you get it ready by Battle of the Bands night." He told me he would.

EDIT: @ the post above me:

I do realize this was partly our fault, we kinda decided to do this at the last minute, but it was still 2 weeks. I mean, we're not playing anything complicated. It should have been enough time for him to learn the parts.

And yes, I know I'm not a very good singer. But if I'm able to find the starting pitch of the first few notes, I do a decent job. Besides, we can't find another singer, and we've been looking for a while now.
Last edited by JazzNick67 at Sep 30, 2009,
Ok, here's some ground rules for the future.

1. Don't book the gig if you can't play the songs

I'm not talking about whether you personally know the song or not. I'm talking about the ability to play it together as a band. It doesn't sound like you've ever done this in reference to this song - the first time you've tried it was on that stage above. You've had at least two and a half weeks to get the band together to play before this moment.

It's not just the bassist who doesn't know their part either here - you don't know the melody line to the vocals of the song. Believe me, when you learn a song properly it "feels" the same way in your throat because you've sung it so many times.

2. Practice is for practice, not learning

Quite simple here - when playing covers, they're learnt at home, not at practice. Otherwise you're simply wasting practice time by doing stuff that should be at home.

So what to do?

Practice together. So the bassist was a little ahead of you guys. Get together, tell him to listen and play with the drums.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Like everyone has said you need to practice some more.

However, it was a dress rehearsal so why did you just get up and play the song? Why no sound check, playing around with settings to get the levels right. Surely that is what a dress rehearsal is for; to iron out things that can't be done at practice.

Also, when you were practising those 3-4 times before the rehearsal, did any of these problems arise with the bassist playing. If not he was probably nervous. If they did why didn't the problem get highlighted and fixed?

In a band you can't skirt around issues like that, you all need to work on communication. You can't just say

Ok, but make sure you get it ready by Battle of the Bands night.

and rely on him to be ok. He needs to be able to play with the band, he can't learn that just on his own.
Or you could do it the Sex Pistols way and turn off his amp at the show or set it really low so that nobody is able to notice his mistakes.
Quote by JazzNick67

how did you not know that sooner?
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
i feel like i've seen this thread before...

amen brother, amen.
It's a BOTB, they aren't important at all. Practice more and write originals. Keep the bassist for a while, and see if he starts to improve. If he doesn't, then talk to him and tell him what the problem is. Tell him you want to move this band forward and you don't see him being a part of it, due to lack of skill and you hope this doesn't affect your friendship with him.
and Pretty Fly is a pretty bass heavy song too. So maybe it's good you stopped. Why would you not practice with the bassist before?
I would ask the bassist if he's ever jammed over the actual song at home. Plug in iPod, tune bass, play bass over original. Play bass over the rock band version, something! Too many young musicians dont practice on thier own, they expect the bad to spoon feed them during practice, and thats just not going to happen.

Trust me, if the bassists drive isnt there to learn on his own, how will you make him any better?

(has he bought lessons, books, practiced, gone onto you tube and watched/follwed a bass cover of any of your songs, anything like that?) - I dont know him, but I doubt it.

Tell him what this means to you, and what he's doing to that dream, but remember, you may be just as much at fault to him. Practice your bits as well, and hopefully, it will all come together.

Good luck at BOTB
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I would ask the bassist if he's ever jammed over the actual song at home. Plug in iPod, tune bass, play bass over original. Play bass over the rock band version, something! Too many young musicians dont practice on thier own, they expect the bad to spoon feed them during practice, and thats just not going to happen.

Trust me, if the bassists drive isnt there to learn on his own, how will you make him any better?

(has he bought lessons, books, practiced, gone onto you tube and watched/follwed a bass cover of any of your songs, anything like that?) - I dont know him, but I doubt it.

Tell him what this means to you, and what he's doing to that dream, but remember, you may be just as much at fault to him. Practice your bits as well, and hopefully, it will all come together.

Good luck at BOTB

+1

exactly what he said if this bassist doesnt have the will to get better hes not gonna but in all serious unplug his amp and then blame it on "technical difficulties"

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████