I'm thinking about building my first guitar. I've found all the parts I need, but before I spend 300 dollars and order everything, I have a pretty important question I need answered:
Are there any measurements I need to know about concerning where I place the bridge and pickup cavities?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
It all depends on the kind of guitar you intend to build, depending on the model's scale length, you will calculate a certain distance from nut to bridge, and then you'll know what goes where. Start with the bridge and then cut out pickup cavities, centering the poles under each string. Mind you, this has to be spot-on for the bridge, or all of the intonation will be a piece of sh!t.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
OK, how exactly do I measure for the bridge?
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Take the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, then go exaactly that distance to place the front of your bridge.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Front of the bridge meaning front of the hole for mounting post, or front of the saddles? And how do I perfectly center the bridge?
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Front of bridge meaning exactly where the strings will come off the saddles.
Did you draw a center line? The center line should fall right inbetween the middle two saddles, or, if its a seven string right in the middle of the middle saddle.
I haven't even ordered anything yet. I'm just trying to make sure I don't need anything other than a router, a bandsaw, and a drill press to get the guitar playable.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

A random orbital sander will help you a lot. Maybe a hand drill for the smaller holes.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Obviously the measurements are vital. I suggest you do some reading (Hiscock book is great).

As you can imagine the bridge needs to align with the strings/headstock and needs to be on the right spot due to intonation. There should be a centerline that goes from headstock to the bottom of the guitar. The bridge will be in the middle at the obvious 25.5/25/24.75 spot.
Thought of just buying some templates online? That'd probably be your easiest way out. I mean, you wouldn't have the understanding of how to measure, position things like you would by reading the aforementioned book(s) though.