I don't know what gauge strings are on my guitar, they seem like 10s or 11s. The nuts are colored though.

I don't really know how to mess with the truss rod or adjust **** and also don't feel like paying 80 dollars for a simple string change.

What can I do?

thanks
Going from 10's to 11 or back from 11's to 10's isn't really going to make that much a difference. And if for whatever reason it does the simple adjustments to get it back to where is should be a fairly simple.
what is even the question? the tension isn't going to change drastically enough for you to have to adjust your truss rod even if you did go to a heavyer gauge.
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
Quote by OutOfDaBox
What guitar do you have?If it has a floyd rose it has defenitely 9s.

Yeh because all Floating trems have to have 9's or they spontaniously combust...

TS, If they are the stock strings they are probably 9's. If you don't know how to adjust the truss rod then don't. And going up or down one or two gauges won't make that big of a difference.

As for changing strings, read This.
It'll teach you how to change your strings.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
There has to be a way to measure them though?

I have the same problem. I just bought a hardtail RG Ibanez. Everyone is saying it should have 9's, but Ibanez's manual says the hardtails have 10's... I'd like to be able to know for sure. I think the only way would be to measure them with a digital caliper?
Well if the manual says they're 10's then there probably 10's.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Be a man and put some 12's on there. Gotta have a wound third too. Besides getting great tone you'll build your finger strength and all those wussies that use 9's and 10's won't ever wanna play your guitars because it'll hurt their fingers.
Quote by Rick540
Be a man and put some 12's on there. Gotta have a wound third too. Besides getting great tone you'll build your finger strength and all those wussies that use 9's and 10's won't ever wanna play your guitars because it'll hurt their fingers.

I had some 13-56's with a wound G string, and then I switched from those to a set of 12-56 with a 24p G string, I love the unwound so much better...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
Well if the manual says they're 10's then there probably 10's.

Normally I would agree, but it doesn't specify my model... Although all the listed guitars with 10's are hardtails.

Ahh well, no big deal, just have to measure 'em.
Quote by Rick540

never heard so much nonsense in one post in all my life

TS the only defintive way is to measure them with a micrometer
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Oct 1, 2009,
Off topic but what brand has a wound G string? I just put 12's on my guitar and went to guitar center just to ask if they have any brands with wound g strings and they didn't. I ended up with Roto strings which are great but I'd love a wound G string....
Quote by RoughDraft274
Off topic but what brand has a wound G string? I just put 12's on my guitar and went to guitar center just to ask if they have any brands with wound g strings and they didn't. I ended up with Roto strings which are great but I'd love a wound G string....

Alot of Dean Markeley's come with both a wound and normal G.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by potatohead_33 at Oct 1, 2009,
for the cost of a few sets of strings over the next couple of months try some different ones out and see which you like the best...easy! My favs at the moment are Rotosound blues (light top, heavy bottoms).
Adjusting a truss rod normally is not part of changing strings and is one of those things that if you do not know what you are doing is better left alone. Search the web there are several vids on changing strings. It is not rocket science. Spending 80.00 on a pro set up on a guitar in need can make all the difference in the world from being frustrated with a guitar and falling in love with the instrument. But,80.00 for a string change? Most stores will show a newbie how to change the things for just the cost of buying a pack of strings and asking to be shown how to do it.
As far as gauge goes. Like everything else in music it all boils down to your own personal taste. Strings are cheap so try out different gauges until you settle on what feels and sounds best to you. And please do not buy into the garbage that you need to play 13's to get a heavy sound or be a man. The guitarists in Judas Priest play with 8's and I would kill to be able to get the tone those 2 guys can.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by potatohead_33

Thanks, I'll be ordering those Roto's with the wound G. I'm surprised they don't have those at my local guitar center. I have them on right now and I love them. Those will be perfect.

Thanks!
Quote by Rick540

you dont have to go to 12s to get a wound third

im really liking light jazz strings

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by ibanezgod1973

never heard so much nonsense in one post in all my life

TS the only defintive way is to measure them with a micrometer

actually a caliper will do just fine, no need for hundred thousandth of a inch readings on a guitar string

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by OutOfDaBox
What guitar do you have?If it has a floyd rose it has defenitely 9s.

Not always.
If they're the stock strings yes they'll be 9's but someone could have changed the strings on his guitar