I'm not totally sure this is where this thread belongs, but I saw nothing that fit better. A local musician I know has a gig in a few weeks. It'll be a small affair in one of the cafes on campus here at the university. He needs a P.A. system for the show, however, and I get the feeling he wants to use mine. One problem: I'm not going to be playing at the show (I have NO time to prepare and on top of that have a paper to write...) and don't want to just hand over my P.A. and say "have fun!". So I'm thinking of renting it to him instead. I'll haul it and set it up, he'll play, and I'll tear it down and pack it home.

So here's the question: How much do I charge this guy? I don't make a habit of renting the thing out, so I have no idea what amount to ask. What would all you solo act guys be willing to pay to use someone's P.A. for one show? It's a 600W Peavey Mixer with Yamaha Speakers, AKG and Shure mics, and all the stands and such. I don't want to rip this guy off, (after all, he's a college student) but I don't want to do a huge favor for someone who's more acquaintance than friend.

Any help you all could offer would be appreciated.
Quote by Axe_Burner
I'm not totally sure this is where this thread belongs, but I saw nothing that fit better. A local musician I know has a gig in a few weeks. It'll be a small affair in one of the cafes on campus here at the university. He needs a P.A. system for the show, however, and I get the feeling he wants to use mine. One problem: I'm not going to be playing at the show (I have NO time to prepare and on top of that have a paper to write...) and don't want to just hand over my P.A. and say "have fun!". So I'm thinking of renting it to him instead. I'll haul it and set it up, he'll play, and I'll tear it down and pack it home.

So here's the question: How much do I charge this guy? I don't make a habit of renting the thing out, so I have no idea what amount to ask. What would all you solo act guys be willing to pay to use someone's P.A. for one show? It's a 600W Peavey Mixer with Yamaha Speakers, AKG and Shure mics, and all the stands and such. I don't want to rip this guy off, (after all, he's a college student) but I don't want to do a huge favor for someone who's more acquaintance than friend.

Any help you all could offer would be appreciated.

For a fairly large system, we normally pay about $500-600 to rent it for the night...and the guy usually comes out and does sound for us just to help out...however for a smaller system (no subs or separate amps or anything) I would say probably $200-300 + gas money?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
We're having a sound guy come do our show next week and he's only charging $150. For everything, monitors, mics, mixing board, etc, and he's also doing the sound.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
I would do it for free if you think you will be playing in a band or whatever in the future. Helping a fellow musician out now may help you in future. Maybe he'll need someone to join his band in the future and take some of the groupies off his hands.

Unless you want to start a rental business, it is probably more trouble than it is worth. If he pays you and something doesn't go well, you are on the hook for that, if you are just doing someone a favor, less worries.
Well, I read what you all wrote, and offered to rent this guy the system. If he wants to pay, I'll more or less let him name his price. I kind of feel like that's already doing him a favor, since I have to bring it up here from another city. (Besides, my brother owns half of the system and is in favor of the rent idea. Bros before...other musicians.)

Chetbango, I definitely like what you said about how doing it for free could help me in the future. I don't really have much planned for my musical future in this town, since I'm not planning to be here much longer. That being said, there's a lot of merit to your suggestion. Connections are very important and I'll keep that in mind the next time something like this comes up. I need more groupies...
Update: Wow. This guy actually had hoped to borrow it for the two weeks leading up to the gig, and seemed not to like the idea of paying for it. What a mooch. I would never ask something like that of someone who I didn't know all that well.

Anyways, thanks again for the advice!
Quote by Axe_Burner
Update: Wow. This guy actually had hoped to borrow it for the two weeks leading up to the gig, and seemed not to like the idea of paying for it. What a mooch. I would never ask something like that of someone who I didn't know all that well.

Anyways, thanks again for the advice!

Oh, he must be a drummer.
For a cafe gig? £30/$40 or so, at most. Or for larger gigs, I'd go for about 15% of the band's wages for the show.

Brendan, $200-$300 for a solo artist in a cafe is ludicrous - you could buy a perfectly usable PA for that price!
If you're paying $500-$600 a night, I imagine you're getting a 10kW system with a 32+ channel desk and a small tower of speakers. An enormous difference between that and an acoustic set in a university coffee shop!
Quote by kyle62
For a cafe gig? £30/$40 or so, at most. Or for larger gigs, I'd go for about 15% of the band's wages for the show.

Brendan, $200-$300 for a solo artist in a cafe is ludicrous - you could buy a perfectly usable PA for that price!
If you're paying $500-$600 a night, I imagine you're getting a 10kW system with a 32+ channel desk and a small tower of speakers. An enormous difference between that and
an acoustic set in a university coffee shop!

I either misread or that wasn't there before. Sheesh, calm the **** down.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.