Okay, so my guitar used to be capable of playing clean. Recently, it sounds different, as if it's a tiny bit distorted, and cloudier. I plugged it straight into the amp and it still sounds this way. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks!
Did you adjust the pickup height? If they are too close too the strings it can get muddy...
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
new strings? maybe your strings right now are a bit rusted, they tend to sound beefy with some dirt of em. also, did u try messing with your tone? or have overdrive activated or somethin like that?
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
dead battery on active pickups?
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
Thanks for the replies..
It's a les paul, the amp is 30 watt Traynor,
I haven't changed the strings or adjusted the pickups.. I supposed maybe the pickups need new batteries like was suggested by glam_rocker? I'll check it out! Thanks!
les pauls that i know of dont really have active pickups as stock, so i doubt its that problem. maybe your instrument cable blew? try another instrument cable possibly. i know ive had problems with cables that made my guitar sound muddy and kinda distorted
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Actually, my les paul has EMGs on them, so ill try changing the battery, thanks for the advice. I'll have to buy some tomorrow..
Thanks again for all your help!
i had the same problem with my strat through a fender hot rod deluxe amp, one day it suddenly sounded very fuzzy on the clean channel. you need to find out the source of the problem through a process of elimination, ie try another amp, cable, etc.

in my case it was the amp, a resistor had died and needed replacing.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Could be:

Action, Frets, Strings, Cable, Jacks, Amp, Pick-ups...Try new strings, different cable...etcetc.
Quote by flynn880
Actually, my les paul has EMGs on them, so ill try changing the battery, thanks for the advice. I'll have to buy some tomorrow..
Thanks again for all your help!

Once you change the battery, you might also try lowering your guitar's pickup volume knobs. This might make it easier to get a cleaner sound. Also, to preserve battery life be sure to unplug your guitar cord when you are finished playing.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King