I currently own an epi LP standard plus and I'm going to sell it tomorrow, but now that I'm looking at it I'm kinda confused about the decision. Should I sell it and get the strat instead? The genres I played when I got the LP have changed a bit.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
The guitar you have doesn't dictate the genres you're allowed to play. LPs and Strats are very different guitars in almost every possible way (scale length, neck shape, body style, construction, wood type, pickups). If you play a MIM Strat and like the feel, then buy it.
Go Strat, Have a late 90's MIM Strat that is Killer. Mine has the serial on the back, and the classic Fender on the headstock...Similar mim strats and tele's fom that era are quite good. I played a new one a while (mim strat 60's style) back and liked it Not as much as my older one, but it was still a good guitar. Good for rock and roll as well as many different syles of music.
I don't think there's any significant difference in the general objective quality between those two. There's obviously a possibility of difference between the two particular guitars you have in mind, but as two series, I don't think either MIM Fender or Epi Standard has anything over the other.

Just a matter of taste, man. Do you want a chunky, earthy Les Paul or a bright, thin Fender?
Quote by Flying Couch
I don't think there's any significant difference in the general objective quality between those two. There's obviously a possibility of difference between the two particular guitars you have in mind, but as two series, I don't think either MIM Fender or Epi Standard has anything over the other.

Just a matter of taste, man. Do you want a chunky, earthy Les Paul or a bright, thin Fender?

I wouldn't call a Fender 'thin'.
I like to say... 'slinky'.

Anyway, I'd say get the MIM as I feel they play better then LPs, but it's ALL preference.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
They're two totally different guitars, it took me about 4 or 5 years to realise it, but don't actually like strats that much to play. I prefer the 24.75" scale length and shape of the epi neck. Plus I just don't like the sound of strat single coils in the neck. But other people do. You may be one of these.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by Simsimius
I wouldn't call a Fender 'thin'.
I like to say... 'slinky'.

Anyway, I'd say get the MIM as I feel they play better then LPs, but it's ALL preference.

"Slinky," yes, that's the word I'm looking for. I didn't want to use "thin" but I couldn't think of another descriptor. I do think Fenders are usually thin, but not in a bad way.
Just keep the Les Paul and add a Strat if you feel the need for one. Selling a guitar you enjoy playing is one of the biggest mistakes a guitar player can make. You might be able to replace a guitars shape down the road but, once you have THE ONE that becomes a part of you there is no way to replace that "bond".
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by jamesbooz
well I have a Epiphone Les Paul standard and I chose it over a Strat because I liked the thick neck but then i also got a Telecaster and I like the thin neck on it lol.

What genres do you play as many good guitarists use one of these guitars.

Jimmy Page used a LP. Clapton uses a Strat and an LP. The dudes from Iron Maiden use Strats. Slash uses LP. Randy Rhoads used an LP. Malmsteem uses a Strat.

So it all comes down to preference really

Don't forget Jimmy Page used Telecasters in the early Zeppelin days and On some VR stuff i believe Slash uses Telecasters.

Referring to the threadstarter's question. I sold my Epi LP and got a Strat and i did so for a number of reasons. The LP was beginning to fall apart, i preferred the tone of the Strat, I preferred the weight of the strat.

It depends why you are selling. I felt the humbucker sound on the Epi LP was too muddy for my liking and the freshness of the single coils really did it for me. They were the main reasons.

As yourself why you are selling and what you will gain from the change and then see if your reasons are valid. This will also help to counteract the new guitar excitement which pushes you to change.

Edit: I should also add that i did enjoy playing my Les Paul but I had to get rid of it because things were starting to go wrong. If you sell your Les Paul, enjoy your Strat and 2 years down the line miss it, you could buy another Les Paul. Let's be fair they're easily replaceable.
Last edited by adhuv at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by Flying Couch
"Slinky," yes, that's the word I'm looking for. I didn't want to use "thin" but I couldn't think of another descriptor. I do think Fenders are usually thin, but not in a bad way.

I mean, they are technically thin, but they do have a lot of bass and treble, just not a lot of mids.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Well, it simply boils down to what you feel better playing. Les Pauls and Strats are tremendously different instruments, which one do you have a clear preference for?
You should just get a 72 Telecaster Deluxe that why you still have humbuckers like a LP and brightness like a strat.
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
Thanks everyone for their replies. I read them all and I just sold my Epi LP, I think I might be getting my strat tomorrow... And to tell the truth, I felt more comfortable playing the strat. There are many reasons of why I started disliking my epi, and one of them was its action and its intonation. I swear that these last days I had it, it was IMPOSSIBLE to keep in tune, heck, it was impossible to tune. I don't know what kind of problem it had, but it had fretbuzz too, it was a pain in the ass.

But when I remember my golden days with the epi, I get a bit sad
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Quote by Svennz
I currently own an epi LP standard plus and I'm going to sell it tomorrow, but now that I'm looking at it I'm kinda confused about the decision. Should I sell it and get the strat instead? The genres I played when I got the LP have changed a bit.

Don't pidgeonhole yourself. The genres you play shouldn't dictate your gear, the sound you want should. None of us can tell you which guitar suits you better, they're both fine guitars for any style. You have to go to a store and play them and make the decision yourself.

I know that's not the advice you wanted, but it's the right advice.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Oct 2, 2009,