I've been playing guitar for a while, but dont have too much on technical know-how.

I own a gibson SG. I love it,though I find the sound to be a little muffled and heavy.
Would changing one of both pickups make a big difference?
I'm looking for a more defined, crisper sound, as im into playing reggae, funk and indyish rock.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.
What kind of amp do you have? That affects the clarity and definition more than pups. Especially the speaker in the amp.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Hmmm...
Marshall MG50dfx.
Makes sense that I would want something different. :p
Yup, its the amp. Any budget for a new amp?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
check out craigslist or ebay for some used stuff, you'll shave a few hundred off MSRP and get a great amp for cheap!
------

Shwiggity.
Or... i'm definitely going to get flamed, but...
Check out Bugera. Incredible amps for almost no money. If you're into reggae/funk/indie, I'd reccomend the V55 or V22. They are tube amps, so you have to treat them carefully/replace tubes every so often, but they sound much better than your MG.

Come to think of it, my dog farting probably sounds better than an MG.

Also, check out the Peavey Vypyr series. They're modeling amps, so you'll be able to play a good range of stuff. It won't sound as good at any one thing as an amp built for that purpose, but they get the job done.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Also, if you'd be willing to pay for shipping to Canada (cash only), I have a Peavey Bandit I might be willing to sell.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.