I currently know the major and minor pent scales. WHat else is good to solo and improve. For rock and blues.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
The Phyrgian Dominant scale is pretty cool sounding, but it's not really for rock and blues.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
for rock and blues all youneed is your fingers and the pentatonics. id look into the mixolydian if you really want to get more indepth but thats my recomendation
learn the modes for those scales, and then be able to solo over chord changes with them. that will take you much farther than learning new scales. but if you want more scales, definitly do the blues, and then the harmonic minor if you want some neo classical type sounds.
Quote by silly6-string
I currently know the major and minor pent scales. WHat else is good to solo and improve. For rock and blues.

If you do indeed "know" the major and minor pentatonics then you already know more than enough for most blues and rock. If you wish to get more in depth then learn the actual major scale and learn it well enough to really understand what you can do with it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ignore modes for now. If you want more options with scales learn the major scale so you understand it in terms of steps (WWHWWWH), notes (eg C Major = C D E F G A B) and intervals from the root. Then learn how the natural minor scale is related to it, and how the pentatonic scales are related to the Major and minor scale.

You can derive pretty much any scale you'll ever need from the Major scale (including modes) so get that nailed and you've done all the hard work.
Blues scale, Major, minor, natural minor, dorian and mixolodian
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
You don't need to learn any more scales at the moment, you need to actually use what you've learned...there's no way you actually understand those scales properly yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You don't need to learn any more scales at the moment, you need to actually use what you've learned...there's no way you actually understand those scales properly yet.

when i took lessons i was taught position 1 - 5. Where the tonic note was where to start. Is to what would make i mjor and what made it minor. I can solo over chords with scales. So i do know how to use them. Just wondering what other scales are for blues to give it may be a lil more bluesy.

If u think i dont know how to use them feel free to give me examples if im not doing it right ty.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
when i took lessons i was taught position 1 - 5. Where the tonic note was where to start. Is to what would make i mjor and what made it minor. I can solo over chords with scales. So i do know how to use them. Just wondering what other scales are for blues to give it may be a lil more bluesy.

If u think i dont know how to use them feel free to give me examples if im not doing it right ty.

from what your saying, im guessing you know how to solo over a group of chords that are all diatonic to one key (like what hendrix or srv would do), but i doubt you know exactly how to solo over different chords, and while doing that, hitting chord tones, and stuff like that. This is mostly found in jazz and stuff, but if you look at some real technical guitarists like vai satch and petrucci, i imagine it is something they would do.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
from what your saying, im guessing you know how to solo over a group of chords that are all diatonic to one key (like what hendrix or srv would do), but i doubt you know exactly how to solo over different chords, and while doing that, hitting chord tones, and stuff like that. This is mostly found in jazz and stuff, but if you look at some real technical guitarists like vai satch and petrucci, i imagine it is something they would do.

explain how i would have to solo over diff chords. I can do like a 1 45 progression.Everyone says i cant do this and that. But no one explains there answer.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by neo14085
Blues scale, Major, minor, natural minor, dorian and mixolodian

Uuuh, minor is the same thing as natural minor...

But yeah, it'd be good to learn the following scales (in the order they're listed): Blues Scale, Major, Minor, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor, Modes (most importantly Myxolydian, Dorian, and maybe Phrygian, I guess - those first two modes are used most commonly of all)
Youv,e just started !!l like everyone has a different scale or MODE you can learn, that should tell you something.C if you want to play lead get use to them, i constantly play my scales , you,ll only get faster!!!rock on rock hard!!
ive been learning solos like led zeplin and soul asylum. It helps use thos pent scales. Guess ill just keep doing that.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
harmonic minor, both melodic minors, blues, lydian is fun sometimes, pentatonic neutral, dorian, and dominant pentatonics
Quote by silly6-string
explain how i would have to solo over diff chords. I can do like a 1 45 progression.Everyone says i cant do this and that. But no one explains there answer.

You basically find the notes of the chord you are on, and build your solo around those notes. I started learning this last year but i really didnt catch on until a month ago so im sorry i can really be much help with this, but its really given me a whole new perspective rather than playing a bunch of hendrix jimmy page and srv licks over and over.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
You basically find the notes of the chord you are on, and build your solo around those notes. I started learning this last year but i really didnt catch on until a month ago so im sorry i can really be much help with this, but its really given me a whole new perspective rather than playing a bunch of hendrix jimmy page and srv licks over and over.

One way to look at it is to think of all the scales you can use in a certain situation. For instance, if someone is playing a progression in C, you could use the C major scale, or you could use Am. And then from there you can branch off even further to something like D dorian.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by The Horror!
Uuuh, minor is the same thing as natural minor...

could be referring to melodic minor

If you can effortlessly improvise over anything in your pentatonic scales, then the next step is the major scale I guess.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.