Whatever you find most comfortable and gives you the tone you like.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Best thing for sweep picking is a Dunlop Jazz 3... that's what i use and i don't sweep i just know ALOT of people including MAB use those because they're good for sweeping, i use themf or precision and the fact i can pick faster with them... but .88mm are generally good for all around playing.
A lot of shredders/technical players use little picks that are thicker (at least 1 mm). The thickness makes it not flex as much, which helps when playing fast.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
I like using Dunlop Jazztone 205's. they release really quickly, so there is little drag between strings.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Wow.. Thanks for all the help..
I'm kinda enlightened right now..
So when it comes to sweep picking, a thin pick like .7 - .9 something is good? And for shredding, a pick with a little thickness is better?
Quote by gakkung85
What pick is the best to do economy picking or even sweep picking easily?

That, my pal, would be all preference. I'm using a thick blue one right now that I love and a slightly thicker purple one occasionally. I find the less thicker but still moderately thick blue one is wonderful. Knowisayinessay?
I also gots me four chicken pluckers I done use every har' and thar'
Quote by Pipwud
That, my pal, would be all preference. I'm using a thick blue one right now that I love and a slightly thicker purple one occasionally. I find the less thicker but still moderately thick blue one is wonderful. Knowisayinessay?
I also gots me four chicken pluckers I done use every har' and thar'

When you say thick, how thick is that? O_O
Quote by gakkung85
When you say thick, how thick is that? O_O

The purple one is .96mm but the blue one I rubbed off on.
i have been changing it up over the last few years and i like .60 anything thicker feels crap for me.
Its hard to say. People all vary. The most common ones for precision picking are Dunlop Jazz III, and Dunlop Tortex around the 1.0 mark. Another is Big Stubby 1.0 sized ones. There are a lot of different choices, but generally they say no smaller than .88 or so for good precision. You can use any size you want in the end. Best thing to do would be to use all sorts of sizes and see what works best.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
I use the gigantic Jim Dunlop Triangle. 3.0 millimeters, perhaps the most unique attack I've heard from a pick.
Typing in purple makes me look a bit like an elitist. I highly enjoy it.
Really, just go to the store and buy a pick in every single thickness, they;re only a few cents each, then bring them home and try them all out.
I just switched to Dunlop Tortex 1.35mm sharps. They are kind of like the Jazz III's but a bigger. I found that they work really well for sweeping and playing fast
I'm using a JazzIIIXL right now. It's nice 'cause I play pretty hard. Thinking of moving to Dunlop Sharps.
i never knew how the thickness of the pick affects the sound. can anyone explain, please?
Quote by Maru717
i never knew how the thickness of the pick affects the sound. can anyone explain, please?

If you have either a sensitive amp or an acoustic you can try it for yourself, get hold of a really thin pick and say one of the dunlop big stubbies, if you just strum even a simple chord with one and then the other and you have a sensitive enough ear you should be able to hear the difference.

Don't worry if you can't hear it though, it's a relatively subtle change and this sort of thing requires a good bit of experience to pick up.

It sounds, to me, like a difference in the attack on the note, with a thicker pick the attack is more round and the tone is slightly thicker whereas with a thinner pick the attack is more exagerrated and sharp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by gakkung85
Wow.. Thanks for all the help..
I'm kinda enlightened right now..
So when it comes to sweep picking, a thin pick like .7 - .9 something is good? And for shredding, a pick with a little thickness is better?

Dude, are you gonna like change pick in the middle of a song or something? Find 1 pick size that's comfortable for you, and that you can use for just about everything.
I prefer anything 2mm and up. I break anything less than that and I feel like I play my best when I don't have to worry about the pick bending at all.
I use 1.0 mm. Dunlop.
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you have either a sensitive amp or an acoustic you can try it for yourself, get hold of a really thin pick and say one of the dunlop big stubbies, if you just strum even a simple chord with one and then the other and you have a sensitive enough ear you should be able to hear the difference.

Don't worry if you can't hear it though, it's a relatively subtle change and this sort of thing requires a good bit of experience to pick up.

It sounds, to me, like a difference in the attack on the note, with a thicker pick the attack is more round and the tone is slightly thicker whereas with a thinner pick the attack is more exagerrated and sharp.

ohh i see. yeah i should give that a try. thanks
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Whatever you find most comfortable and gives you the tone you like.

This.

I personaly prefer dunlop/tortex 1.14mm (i think) picks, for that extra grip, and strength.
Been away, am back
Quote by Maru717

Rather than explain something that has been explained a lot, let me direct you here:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1889590/how_to_choose_the_thickness_of_a_guitar.html?cat=33

There are also different materials that picks are made from. Tortex, deralin, celluloid (like pickguards!), wood (Like bodies!), metal (Like tuners!), stone (Like rock!), shell (abalone and such), and even bone. There are probably more but I don't know of them offhand. I suppose air counts as one since its the only proper pick for the air guitar.
Different materials have a different amount of bend and tone to it.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘