That when you pick it should only be an isolated wrist movement, not the whole arm. Is this correct or is it all preference?

I am also have troubles fretting on the Basses higher notes. 12th fret and up, I am pretty sure it has to do with my thumb position. No position I can find comfortable and to where I can plant my pinky and ring finger without strain. Well I done did it once but it's result was an unexpected eruption within my pants. How can I conquer the higher frets?
While I am here and asking question after question; can anyone give me advice on strumming with your thumb? On bass that is. I was told of Victor Wooten and watched a little how to video with him. Well as with every video of some professional showing a technique, he just says "It goes like this", does the technique very fast and then repeats it a couple times. Well I didn't get a good view so I have just been experimenting. Downward strokes I kind of slap it and the string below stops my thumb, occasionally my palm will touch the string I just slapped like a woman and it will mute it.
Upward motion is even more difficult because I end up grabbing the string above the one I wanted to hit, including the one I wanted to hit. I can mute it but I don't want to have to do that every time. My fingas can be doing better things.

Does you all like how I ask questions in giant paragraphs? I apologize, but I figure if I elaborate as much as possible than there won't be an confusion.

Oh, and I done has another. Aha. People have said that the melodic and harmonic are modes of the major scale? Is this a truesees? If so, what modes?
Last edited by Pipwud at Oct 1, 2009,
dunno about the bass questions, but the natural minor is a mode of the major scale. melodic and harmonic...well, they're not. melodic is a major scale mode on the way down though, because it's the natural minor on the way down.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
dunno about the bass questions, but the natural minor is a mode of the major scale. melodic and harmonic...well, they're not. melodic is a major scale mode on the way down though, because it's the natural minor on the way down.

Before a billion people retype that same thing, I had already known the natural minor scale is the Aeolian, Sixth Degree of the Major Scale.
What do you mean on the way down?
Harmonic and melodic minor scales are alterations of the natural minor scale - 20T gave an awesome explanation here: [thread]1208531[/thread]

For reaching the higher frets it might be down to the position you have your bass in - if you're standing try raising your strap and angle the neck so the headstock is higher in the air - should mean you don't have to bend you wrist as much to reach higher frets.

For bass technique questions you might find you're better asking in the bass forum
Quote by Pipwud
Before a billion people retype that same thing, I had already known the natural minor scale is the Aeolian, Sixth Degree of the Major Scale.
What do you mean on the way down?

The melodic minor is the natural minor scale with the 6th and 7th raised by a semi tone (or you could look at it as the major scale with a flattened 3rd). When you are playing it ascending you play it as is; so C melodic minor ascending is C, D, Eb, F, G, A, B. If you are playing it descending though you play it as the natural minor so C, Bb, Ab, G, F, Eb, D.

I'm not sure why they change ascending and descending.

EDIT: Read 20 tigers post that Zhilla linked to, and now I know.
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Oct 1, 2009,