I'm totaly new to recording, the only time i've ever done it was through a small input converter that changed my guitar chord plug to a headphone sized one so i could plug into the mic jack on my computer XD

Obviously that didnt sound to amazing.

What exactly do i need to get start, i hear people talking about interfaces and ****, i really don't have a clue what that means. Could someone please explain to me what i need to start recording in terms of microphones, input cables or w.e. I think i will be using audacity for mixing, and my drumming tracks will be composed with reason.

I really appreciate any sort of help

Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!
Well you have alot of options and it starts out with what your rig consists of. Many mid to high range multi effects pedals have USB outs that will get you a good sounding recording. Ideally though you want to mic your amp and run the mic into a recording interface of some sort. easiest and cheapest thing to start with is an M-Audio Fast track it has both a 1/4" input and an XLR input for a mic. the sound quality is decent on this and good for doing work at home for yourself.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Ok cool, i currently have a Line 6 spider II, http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=YAEMX312 <-- thats the pa head i have, it has a Record out line, but its a strange plug, kind of looks like your old school red white and yellow plugs from a sony playstation. haha. Should i run the amp mic through the pa and then into the computer, and also is there a specific kind of microphone that i need to be using whilst recording my guitar?

One last thing, when recording should i turn my distortion right down? it seems to be making it sounds horrid

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

Check out my band!
The distortion problem is the LINE 6 SPIDER II... it's the problem...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Yeah well i can't afford a new amp at the moment. I'd really like a Peavey tube, or a Krank amp, but i just dont have 5 grand to throw around :P

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

Check out my band!