im kinda new to sweep picking and i have been trying it on appegios based on just the minor petatonic scale but to me it sounds like ****. i read somewhere that the best to use for sweep picking is something called stacked triads. can someone give me a little more info on this and let me know some good shapes to use?
It's the root, followed by the 3rd degree, then the 5th degree. Thats a major triad. Flatten the 3rd for a minor arpeggio.

Once you learn the notes of a particular triad, forming arpeggios shouldn't be problem

I'm new to this theory stuff so i could be wrong
Yeah, you're right. Also, the formula for a diminished arpeggio is 1, b3, and b5. Those are good for that metal sound, and the shape is relatively simple.
Quote by TonicShredder
im kinda new to sweep picking and i have been trying it on appegios based on just the minor petatonic scale but to me it sounds like ****. i read somewhere that the best to use for sweep picking is something called stacked triads. can someone give me a little more info on this and let me know some good shapes to use?
Stacking 3rds is how you form basic triads and extended chords from a scale. Do you know the major scale in terms of how its constructed? If not, I'd suggest you learn how its constructed in terms of steps (WWHWWWH), notes (eg C Major = C D E F G A B) and intervals form the root. It will make the majority of music theory much much eaiser to understand.

Once you understadn the Major scale, you can form chords from it by stacking 3rds. This means you take the note is it to form the root of the chord, then add a 3rd on top of it, then add a 3rd on top of that. If you want an extended chord (eg a 7th chord) you add another 3rd on top.

eg take C Major for example

C D E F G A B C

To form a chord with the C as the root, you take the C, a 3rd above the C, and a 3rd above that - which is basically every other note:

C D E F G A B C

So you've got C E G

C to E is a Major 3rd, and E to G is a minor 3rd, so CEG is a Major chord (CMaj)

If you do the same form the D, you get D F A - which is a minor 3rd (D to F) and a major 3rd (F to G) - which gives you a minor chord (Dm)

A Maj 3rd plus a min 3rd is a Major chord
A min 3rd plus a Maj 3rd is a minor chord
A min 3rd plus another min 3rd is a diminished chord

For completeness - a Maj 3rd plus a Maj 3rd is an augmented chord, but if you're focussing on the Major scale you don't need to worry about them just yet.

For 7th chords add another 3rd on top - so C E G B is CMaj7, D F A C is Dm7

You can do the same thing with other scales too.
Take the a minor chord play it one octave up and on the high e string when u play 12 hammer on to 17 and then go back.
Sounds really badass when played fast.
IMO, if you can't figure out your own sweeping shapes it's not worth sweeping. In stuff like sweeping, Music theory and being able to figure out arpeggio shapes that are playable and sound good are important for being able sweep. Otherwise you're sweeping will be extremely limited. With that said, there are lots of exercises and song recommendations in the Exercises sticky at the top of this forum.
Quote by TheShred201
IMO, if you can't figure out your own sweeping shapes it's not worth sweeping. In stuff like sweeping, Music theory and being able to figure out arpeggio shapes that are playable and sound good are important for being able sweep. Otherwise you're sweeping will be extremely limited. With that said, there are lots of exercises and song recommendations in the Exercises sticky at the top of this forum.

touché people that ask for ''sweep shapes'' should just stop sweeping until they can ''make their own sweeping shapes''