They seem to be the closest match to what I want for the price. Nitro finish, warmer pickups and tone circuit than your standard Strat, and MIA. But, of course, I have a few questions.

How are they for reliability?
Is the quality and factory set-up pretty consistant?
Can they take abuse (I don't care about finish scratches, just functionality-wise)?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I had a Higway 1 Tele for a while and it was a beaut. very reliable. as with any guitar the quality varies but generally the highway ones are alright, factory setup was poose on my one.
Great workhorse guitar. I have one and love it. But I have to get it set up and install a new bridge humbucker cause it's not playing and sounding very good right now.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Fairly decent guitars I suppose. Some people say that it's better just to get a MIM Standard and mod it, but I don't really think it would be that much worth it.

If you like it, go for it
Cam Sampbell's my hero
It's the same materials and parts as the MIM models, just put together a few miles further north and given a thin nitro spray instead of a thick poly finish. There's no real reason to believe they'll be any better than any MIM model - I certainly do not believe they are worth the price difference.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
It's the same materials and parts as the MIM models, just put together a few miles further north and given a thin nitro spray instead of a thick poly finish. There's no real reason to believe they'll be any better than any MIM model - I certainly do not believe they are worth the price difference.

This. Although, no Fender strats are true nitro anymore. They all have a poly coat underneath the nitro.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
They all have a poly coat underneath the nitro.
Ha! Well that defeats the point entirely. I didn't know that, thanks. Now they're even more pointless.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Fender's been using a poly sealer since 68, before that it was fullerplast and lacquer in the 50s. It's a thin layer, but the connotation of the word "sealer" should be taken into consideration.

If you can stomach the relic'd thing, the best value in the fender catalog today IMO is the roadworn series.
Quote by MrFlibble
Ha! Well that defeats the point entirely. I didn't know that, thanks. Now they're even more pointless.

Indeed, which is why it'd be better to just go to a small luthier who can build you one to the correct 50s or 60s specs and finish it with true nitro. There is one in the UK I was looking at and one here I was looking at for my next guitar purchase.

Although all production strats have the poly undercoat, thin or thick (Even the EJ has it, but it's pretty thin like the nitro), the nitro on top does feel better to my arm resting on it than on my MIM which is just plastered with thick poly.
I gig with my Highway One a good bit, and i can tell you it puts up with some beatings. Seems to be fine though, it even stays in tune better than my buddies Classic or whatever it is. I personally LOVE how it's starting to look with some dents and dings and cigarette burns on the headstock.

Go man, go, these guitars sound, play, feel, and look amazing.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
No, it is not the same materials and parts as the MIM models, American neck, American body, American Electronics. The only thing I am not to big on is the jumbo frets.

EDIT: I don't want to bump this thread Mr. Flible, but you are the one who is being completely nescient about what I said. First off, racism? Abhorrent attempt to try and "top me off and finish me" per say. Highway One's do not have all Mexican parts, I've talked to shop owners, Fender reps and done my own research, and have asked on other forums. The bridge is definitley not Mexican, talked to someone who was modding one and they bought one and it wouldn't fit.

The price difference is most likely in the pickups, MIA Standards have Alnico V pickups, having no hard case, a strap ($110 right there), satin urethane finish on the back off the neck, and the MIA is a better piece of wood. Highway Ones had a price drop recently too, making it about $200-$300 apart from an American Standard, and the American Standard comes with a case, strap, cloth. Plus they raised the prices in the American Standard, so not too long ago there was essentially little to nothing in the price difference.

Now, maybe you can go appease the vociferous remarks you made towards me.
Last edited by thrasher. at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by thrasher.
No, it is not the same materials and parts as the MIM models, American neck, American body, American Electronics. The only thing I am not to big on is the jumbo frets.
Congratulations, you have no idea what you're talking about.

They are entirely the same parts. Just because one body and neck was bolted together by a guy in Mexico and another was bolted together buy a guy slightly further north in the USA, does not mean the parts are any different. That is why the Highway One models don't cost the same as a USA Standard: if the parts were American spec , it was assembled in America and it had a nitro finish to boot, if anything it would be more exepnsive than a USA Standard. It's not, it costs a little more than the MIM Deluxe models, because that's basically what it is, just you're paying more for a thin nitro finish (on top of a poly finish anyway apparently) and to appease your light racism.
I was always told that the Highway 1 series guitars were made of American quality parts, but assembled and tested in the Mexican Fender Factory.

MrFlibble, no need to act so elitist. We're discussing guitars, not comparing intelligences. You're paying more for higher quality parts and a different finish.
2008 Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
2010 Fender Classic Players Jazzmaster
2010 Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
Peavey 80w Bandit
I love the look of nitro finishes, but unless you prefer the nitro to the poly enough to pay the amount, get a MIM
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by MrFlibble
Congratulations, you have no idea what you're talking about.

They are entirely the same parts. Just because one body and neck was bolted together by a guy in Mexico and another was bolted together buy a guy slightly further north in the USA, does not mean the parts are any different. That is why the Highway One models don't cost the same as a USA Standard: if the parts were American spec , it was assembled in America and it had a nitro finish to boot, if anything it would be more exepnsive than a USA Standard. It's not, it costs a little more than the MIM Deluxe models, because that's basically what it is, just you're paying more for a thin nitro finish (on top of a poly finish anyway apparently) and to appease your light racism.

wow. speculate much?
i normally enjoy and agree with most of your posts. your response here was great except for that ignorant phrase at the end. how could you possibly infer something like that from his post? its hair trigger responses from people like you that perpetuate racism. buying american versus mexican has absolutely nothing to do with racism. its about the notion (however accurate or inaccurate it may be), that you are supporting your country and its economy by purchasing domestically.
Quote by xtheclincherx
wow. speculate much?
i normally enjoy and agree with most of your posts. your response here was great except for that ignorant phrase at the end. how could you possibly infer something like that from his post? its hair trigger responses from people like you that perpetuate racism. buying american versus mexican has absolutely nothing to do with racism. its about the notion (however accurate or inaccurate it may be), that you are supporting your country and its economy by purchasing domestically.
The sad thing is, I could explain, but if you missed the mark by that much to begin with you wouldn't understand any explination either.
Quote by jeffc313
I love the look of nitro finishes, but unless you prefer the nitro to the poly enough to pay the amount, get a MIM

There isn't a difference. All Fender stratocasters are finished with poly, end of it. Even the ones that say it has a nitro finish is just nitro over a poly undercoat. Even the custom shop. I have emailed Fender about it and they responded with that answer. So have many others.
I never really saw the point of the Highway One series to be honest. While they are good guitars the same can be said of the MIMs so I think it's just a ploy by Fender to have their range of guitars spanning a wider range of prices.

I'd say just get an MIM and save yourself some cash. In terms of material differences you'd be reasonably hard pushed to find substantial reasons to get the HOne. Try out lots of MIM Strats as the quality is a bit unpredictable (some are better than others) and make sure you pick a good one.
I bought my HWYOne for a few reasons, mainly because it offered a collection of specs and options that I could not find in another Strat especially considering the price point. Things like jumbo frets, large 70's headstock, and HSS config. The neck on my particular guitar is amazing. Very comfortable with an almost aged, worn in feel. I also like the thin, satin paint used on the body which is also transparent so a nice wood grain in visible.
It has its share of scratches and dings and dents, but it adds character. In the end, the guitar looks, sounds and performs great.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by FallsDownStairs
There isn't a difference. All Fender stratocasters are finished with poly, end of it. Even the ones that say it has a nitro finish is just nitro over a poly undercoat. Even the custom shop. I have emailed Fender about it and they responded with that answer. So have many others.

In all honesty, the poly finish under the nitro guitars (and all Fenders really) is a very thin sealer coat. It isn't like the thick poly laquer on a guitar with a poly finish.

Just so you guys know, I'm getting one used, so I should be able to get it for about the price of a new MIM Standard.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by Natrone
In all honesty, the poly finish under the nitro guitars (and all Fenders really) is a very thin sealer coat. It isn't like the thick poly laquer on a guitar with a poly finish.

Just so you guys know, I'm getting one used, so I should be able to get it for about the price of a new MIM Standard.

It's still poly none the less, so having the nitro on top is making no difference at all aside from upping the price.

Be sure to show us pictures of the new guitar.
Quote by MrFlibble
The sad thing is, I could explain, but if you missed the mark by that much to begin with you wouldn't understand any explination either.

..or the explanation, for that matter.
regarding your "light racism" phrase, there was no mark to hit.
you just threw it in there at the end of your post, how else would i interpret "the mark," without you providing any contextual language to support it?

sad indeed.
Quote by xtheclincherx
..or the explanation, for that matter.
regarding your "light racism" phrase, there was no mark to hit.
you just threw it in there at the end of your post, how else would i interpret "the mark," without you providing any contextual language to support it?

sad indeed.
Congratulations, you just proved my point exactly.
Quote by MrFlibble
Congratulations, you just proved my point exactly.

and what point is that?
that you are an egotistical person who made an irrational assumption from a rather benign post, then chose to include said assumption as being apart of fender's marketing/pricing logic?
well thank you, it was a very easy point to make.
and frankly, young flib, if you live in the uk instead of the united states, its difficult to take your commentary on racism the least bit seriously. but if you wish to reply, it would serve for great entertainment value. thanks in advance.