ive been trying to decide on an amp to buy as a first ever tube amp. but because i live in Australia, everything seems to cost a ****load so i started thinking maybe i could build one.

so im thinking about building a tube amp pretty much for metal. 15-30 watts maybe. can i do it? what kinda stuff will i need? is it cheaper than buying one? can i make it completely custom because i wanted to buy a really tight, high gain, nice sounding tube amp. so if i can make that for cheaper than that would be great.

and where do i start? where do i get parts for it? what are the chances of me wasting all my cash on something that barely works in the end?

Thanks in advance
Have you ever built an amp, or even a pedal? Are you experienced in circuitry? Do you know how to wire and stuff?
If you haven't, I'd suggest starting by building a small Ruby 5 watt kit or similar. Building a nice 15-30W full valve metal amp is going to be really hard for a first build, or even a fifth build.
http://www.ax84.com/

This website should help a lot. Finding a high-gain amp at 15-30 watts is very unlikely though.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
no. ive never built a pedal or amp before hahaha. well thanks anyway. i guess that idea's already down the drain XD
You can still go for it, I've heard its great fun and great experience (Though I've never done one myself).
Just start out with a small easy amp build, there's some stuff on AX84, as well as those Gem amps.
Even making just a 5 watt single channel amp with only volume and gain would be really good for experience.
You basically want to build a Mesa/ENGL-like amp with no experience for less money than one costs in stores?

My answer: buy used on ebay.com.
First problem is the lack of experience. You answered most of your own questions. Without a basic understanding of schematics etc the chances of a functional amp are slim and end up being a waste of money.

Second is cost, no its unlikely you are gonna save any money. The OT and PT for a 10w power amp cost me 90$ alone. Didnt include chassis, tubes, resisters, capacitors, cabinet, jacks etc. You are not gonna build an amp for less than a major manufacturer can.

You need to start some where like pedals and work your way up. And your first amp project should be something less ambitious.
my adzise:
Buy a sottering iron and sotter
and TO THE INTERNET
dependeing on what you want to build
the internet WILL help you (just dont get scammed)
i suggest ehow.com

Edit: there are kits online for purchse. idk what makes or models, but im sure you could get a mashell one on ebay
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Last edited by rushpython at Oct 1, 2009,
yeah, i didnt really think id be able to do it. i barely have an understanding of electronics and have basically no clue how an amp works.

well thanks for the input anyway guys. i guess ill just buy an amp already made.
Quote by rushpython
my adzise:
Buy a sottering iron and sotter
and TO THE INTERNET
dependeing on what you want to build
the internet WILL help you (just dont get scammed)
i suggest ehow.com

Edit: there are kits online for purchse. idk what makes or models, but im sure you could get a mashell one on ebay

it's soldering iron and solder