I am pretty much a beginner to the guitar, so I am looking for something different to my crap Yamaha. Could anyone reccomend me a decent Electric guitar that costs under £300. I am getting a Line 6 Spider III 15 amplifier aswell.

I am going to be getting a guitar:
I was looking at these guitars:
Ibanez GRGR121EX
Ibanez GRG250DX
Jackson JS30DK
Squire Classic Vibe Strat 60s Candy Apple Red

Also I noticed that some of these guitars have wierd square pickups. Could anyone tell me what these are for and if I should get one without?
Last edited by ChrissyCorrigan at Oct 1, 2009,
Squires are great beginner guitars, and you can usually find one for about $100 (not sure what the conversion rate is to £ is).
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Trust me, GRGs are awesoem beginner guitars. i had a GRG170DX and it ****ing rocked the days i started playing.

I've tried squires, the action si too high,...

Also I noticed that some of these guitars have wierd square pickups. Could anyone tell me what these are for and if I should get one without?

Let me tell you a bit about pickups. On strats there are single coils, which are good for cleand, but easily picks up noise. Humbuckers are made up of two coils and are a bit fatter. They sound fat and not noise on higher distortion.

What style of music do you like?
Last edited by GisleAune at Oct 1, 2009,
I listen to varieties of different music to be honest:
Rock
Indie Rock
Punk
Metal
Anything really

I love the Arctic Monkeys style of music
I think either ibanez, I'm by an ibanez guy so let them tell you lol. But forbrock you deffinately want humbuckers for this fat kinda heavy riffs
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Yeah, thanks for all your reccomendations

Any comments on the Jackson?
This video on youtube said that it had Humbucker pickups
Last edited by ChrissyCorrigan at Oct 1, 2009,
I've never played one, but all I can really tell you is go out and play them all through the amp you plan on buying, whichever sounds and feels great to you, buy. And you'll know when it's "your guitar"
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Good advide Dude

My friend told me about a Ibanez RG370DX, they look great in the rubber red but has anyone played one?
Quote by ChrissyCorrigan
I listen to varieties of different music to be honest:
Rock
Indie Rock
Punk
Metal
Anything really

I love the Arctic Monkeys style of music

If you like those kinds of music, I would recomend you choose a guitar with Humbuckers and not single coils, so the Squire should be out of the question.
The square pickups you mention in the first post, I guess they would be EMG's... the are active pickups that are great for metal sounds.
Go for the Ibanez... between the hipoteses you placed they are the guitars that most settle your taste in music.
Just my opinion.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
If you've mentioned the Arctic Monkeys as a sound you like then their tone is all singles. Stay away from the Spider too, it's a duffer.

Might be worth looking at a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge for those metal moments but you'll lose that single coil bite...it all depends on what tone you want. The Jackson JS series are very poor and the Ibanez GRG's aren't really going to be much of an upgrade either.

Best value out there is probably going to be a Yamaha Pacifica 112 - if you've already got one then you probably need to spend a bit more to get a noticeable upgrade, but to be honest a Squier Affinity Strat is still a decent enough guitar provided it's set up correctly. Or if you already have a guitar with singles then you could simply get a twin humbucker guitar for a contrasting tone, something like a Vintage V100. Ampwise look at the Peavey Vypyrs, Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cubes but avoid Spiders.

The Ibanez RG350 looks nice but suffers from having a shoddy bridge that will wear out relatively quickly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 1, 2009,