Is it bad to like just one guitarist?main reason i am asking this is cause i do not know if i will ever develop any original style just listening to one guitarist , which many ppl say sucks... I tried listening to others but they do not appeal to me at all. like i tried jeff beck, brian may for example and it just sounds boring. the only one i really like is slash and not just cuz he looks cool and wears a top hat but because i just find his music so great to listen to and so much feeling. i do like other guitar players like angus young and evh but i dont listen to them as much as slash. and lots of ppl say slash sucks. \
Play guitar for 2 months and you'll realize there's better stuff out there. I used to like Slash, now I think he sucks. As you learn a bit more about music, you'll come to see that slow boring bends (Slash) ≠ Feeling. Listen to some Jason Becker, and if you don't like it, well, I can't help you.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Unreal T
Is it bad to like just one guitarist?main reason i am asking this is cause i do not know if i will ever develop any original style just listening to one guitarist , which many ppl say sucks... I tried listening to others but they do not appeal to me at all. like i tried jeff beck, brian may for example and it just sounds boring. the only one i really like is slash and not just cuz he looks cool and wears a top hat but because i just find his music so great to listen to and so much feeling. i do like other guitar players like angus young and evh but i dont listen to them as much as slash. and lots of ppl say slash sucks. \

Yeah I agree with Slash but I have like a whole load of guitarist I could just listen to and not get bored like I never got bored of Slash, James Dean Bradfield, Paul Gilbert and Steve Morse. But if you like one guitarist that's kl and don't worrry about what other people say about Slash in their opinion and yours, I don't like Hendrix and people respect my opinion on that.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
you should not develop your style based on one guitarist. i listen to a lot of players and do copy some of their licks and phrasing, but in the end you put it all together and it's what you are as a guitar player, not a copy of someone else.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
It sounds like you haven't been playing long. You'll get bored of it eventually, then you'll discover more music.
Quote by MalGanisWL
lol slash sucks man.

And your opinion is more valid than his.....why?

TS, as you get further into guitar and theory, you start to see other parts of guitarists that you may like. For instance, I thought Buckethead was boring until I realised how hard 8 finger tapping was. I thought Shawn Lane was boring until I looked at his theory, chord structure, and his amazing ability to sweep with the smallest hands in the world.
Slash is a great guitarist, but he's not the only one. Good job though for keeping an open mind and trying new things.
I don't see any harm in playing one single guitarist's style, as long as you broaden your playing abilities just so you don't get in a rut, and god forbid get bored of playing. At the end of the day you don't want that. Don't listen to what other people say at the end of the day if listening to slash makes you want to play, then play it man!

I play along with alot of Pantera Just because I think Dimebag is a frickin' legend. but saying that I taught myself other styles and scales so I can write my own songs.

Hope this helps.
Its all down to your own opinion basically.
If you don't like the sound of other guitarists then don't be put off by people saying that your thick or whatever, its your opinion and the likelihood is that their actually only saying it to make you think they know more than you.
Eventually your bond to find other guitarists that will appeal to you so just keep playing and wait to see what comes ...
Maybe try listening to another guitarist with a similar (but not identical) style to Slash's. Work your way from there to other branches of music. Force yourself to listen to bands and genres you normally wouldn't. That's what I've tried to do, and I think it's kinda working.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Quote by MalGanisWL
lol slash sucks man.

I frowned upon reading this comment

Oh well, life's a tizzy.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
I used to like Slash... but with the passing of time and by practicing guitar myself, I've came to the conclusion that he is not that great.
The is a buttload of other guitarrist that are better also very famous.
I personaly admire Kirk Hammet, Adam Jones, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck... etc...

Believe me man... Slah is NOT THAT great.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
My little brother is a good example of that. he liked onyl metallica and you could hear it easily in his riffs.

Now he likes Children Of Bodom and Blind Guardian and that makes his riffs and leads more original and not so angry and powerchordy.
If he's your favorite, he's your favorite, he used to be mine, then I found guys that were so much more appealing as my range broadened. You'll find other guitar players to like as well, and maybe even some you like better. My suggestion is listen to Randy Rhoads(from Ozzy), cuz he rocks.
I still find Slash pretty good... Don't know why he would 'suck'.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Quote by MalGanisWL
lol slash sucks men.

fixed.

... though maybe you meant "Slash sucks, man"

TS, whatever music you're into you should definitely try to listen to more than one guitarist. I'm not into GnR or Velvet Revolver so I cant really say what else you should go and have a listen to. Maybe try some Led Zep? I know Slash was really into Jimmy Page, so maybe you would be too.
In any case keep looking until you find someone else or you'll just get bored and loose your interest, or end up a slash clone.
Try looking at genres.
Blues for example, you have Stevie Ray Vaughan, B.B. King, Jimmie Vaughan, Buddy Guy, etc.

If you like slide, definitely check out Derek Trucks (Down in the Flood is a good one). He's a legend.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Oct 1, 2009,
Okay, you shouldn't hate a guitarist because people say he isn't that great. I think Kurt Cobain was a phenomenal guitarist and songwriter. He might not be the most technical, and people can claim he sucks and anything they want, but at the end of the day, he has sold more records than a lot of artists and he's the most widely known.

Since you like Slash, instead of looking up similar artists, look up who he was influenced by. I know Hendrix was one and so was Page. Just look up what inspired him as a player and what he listened too when developing as a guitarist. You might end up liking those people, which then you keep looking up what influenced that guitarist, etc etc till you run out things to look up.

Copying someone isn't a bad thing, even Hendrix went through a time of copying BB King's style perfectly. You just don't want to end up being that as a guitarist. You'll eventually find a new favorite guitarist, and copy his style, and eventually you'll throw them all together into your own style.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Oct 1, 2009,
I love Slash he is probably my favoite guitarist and I find him very influential but if I wanna try and play summin more techincal in my solos I look at Paul Gilbert videos.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
i love slash so its not so bad, expecially cos slash is great cos he plays some blue he did some funk stuff with lenny kravitz and does hard rock, other ppl i like are angus yong and Kirk hammett so try them
YOu should try and get a mix of stuff, if you wanna play Slash stuff though, you shouldn't just listen to him, the reason Slash had that style is because he listened to a huge variety of stuff.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Last time I checked, this thread was about whether liking one guitarist was bad or not, and not whether slash is good or not.

Personally, I would say just listen to whatever you want, who cares what people say. Eventually, you start finding a lot more music, and might find other guitarists to look up to.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Oct 1, 2009,