So...I bought a Peavey Predator EXP Plus two days ago...but I currently don't have the financial possibilities to buy an amp; I'll buy one in two weeks or so. Until than, I still wanna practice a bit on my guitar and I know that there are people in similar situations, like mine, who connect their guitars directly to their computer, so the sound can come out of the speakers. Of course it's not the same deal, an amp is an amp and is the best choice. But in this time while I don't have one yet, I'd like to use my PC as one. I'm a beginner in all this, so I don't know pretty much. I bought one of those adapters though, so I can connect my guitar to my sound card. I connected it to Line-In, the blue one. I don't have any sound though. So there are definitely some settings and stuff, that I missed. And I guess I need some software too...for some effects and all. I'd like a recommendation in that, too.
So...will you please offer me some asistance? Thank you in advance, waiting for your reply.
Try guitar amp emulation softwares like Amplitube or Guitar Rig. You won't be able to get a decent sound via Windows sound mixer anyway... I hope your adapter support ASIO drivers or there will be quite a big lag added to your sound.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I'm pretty sure my guitar is plugged into the pink input, try that dude. Then again, I'm running through a pedal first, so that might make a difference

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Yes, you're right, probably Windows won't help me too much.
But the thing is that I don't get any sound for now. I definitely blanked over some stuff.
Of course, software to improve the sound, but first of all, how do I get sound?
Thank you for your recommendations.
Yeah...I believe that definitely makes a difference. I'll try the pink one, thanks.
Thanks for that, sounds great, but I can't afford it right now. If I had money to buy those, I would've bought an amp.
1. Plug it in either the blue or pink jack and go to the windows sound volume control panel.

2. Go to Options -> Properties and make sure the boxes for microphone and line in are ticked.

3. Adjust volume of the one you plugged into. Pink is microphone, blue is line in.
Mine works, but it goes from my amp's 'line out' into the PC so 'Guitar > Amp > Line Out > PC'

But you should still get something from your guitar on its own...might be a bit quiet though. Turn the volume right up on your guitar, then on your PC, then on your PC speakers.

Download Audacity. I think i only heard my guitar when i was in audacity and recording, or something like that...it wont just make a sound if your at your desktop i dont think.

Audacity is free so give it a go...try it when recording and also when not...cant hurt...
I connected it in the blue jack and I looked in properties, the line-in was checked and its volume it's adjusted. Still...no guitar sound from my speakers.
Thank you, I will download Audacity.
No, I don't get anything. The volume is right though.
I'll try with this software and see what happens.
Try switching the sound properties over to the recording section, and make sure line in is selected as the active input. It works for me without that, but the only other thing I can think of is that either your guitar or speaker volume is down.

Edit: Yes, it does work at the desktop, I'm doing it right now.
Last edited by eric12321 at Oct 1, 2009,
The sound playback default device is Realtek HD Audio Output selected, as for the recording one, is Realtek HD Audio Input selected, I've checked the volume on that, and the only bar I can move is the recording one, which is high; the other ones, including Line In, are white - I mean, I can't adjust 'em, even though they're not on mute and their volume is set on high, like 70%.
Quote by oNy23z
The sound playback default device is Realtek HD Audio Output selected, as for the recording one, is Realtek HD Audio Input selected, I've checked the volume on that, and the only bar I can move is the recording one, which is high; the other ones, including Line In, are white - I mean, I can't adjust 'em, even though they're not on mute and their volume is set on high, like 70%.

Is that when you double click on the little speaker icon next to the time?
Quote by Sav25
Is that when you double click on the little speaker icon next to the time?

No, it's at the sound properties, the recording section, there.
As for the speaker icon next to the time, I can set 'em all there. And they're on high.
If you're totally desperate, go get a berhinger disortion pedal, they sound pretty crappy, but that's what I use and it amplifys the signal to the computer, and they're ridiculously cheap

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I'll just wait for my amp...and that's all, haha.
I can't seem to get any sound from my guitar through my PC speakers.
So...yeah, amps rock, lol.