Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, it's storytime.

My housemate is a silly man. He recently bought a USA Fender American Vintage 62 Reissue Strat:

It cost him £1200 (they cost even more in some places online).

It's pretty sweet, sounds cool (could do with a setup though), and it looks good.

Now, my friend, he did something very silly.
On his first student night, I got a phonecall at 4am in the morning.
Him -"Steve, I did something very silly."
Me - "..."
Him - "I was playing Foxy Lady and got a little carried away... I set fire to my guitar"
Me - "..."
Me - "Is my amp OK?"
Him - "Yes, but my guitar is on fire"

I thought he was kidding, drunk and talking **** to wind me up, but when I arrived at the house the next day, he was infact telling the truth. I laughed, and he was ashamed.

Fast forward to today, he hardly ever uses the guitar anymore because he's ashamed and embarrassed, and he now wants to sell it to me for £350. Yes, £350 for a decent American strat which is practically new (except being really burnt) that costs £1300 normally, AND he agreed to get it set up for me too, lol.

So what do you think guys, should I buy the strat? It has burn marks and stuff, but I think it looks alright, it has a story to it, lol. I already have an American strat(a Deluxe with maple neck) that is really nice, but I have 3 different plans for this one (if I buy it):

1) Get it set up as an awesome tremolo type guitar (a la Jeff Beck, Michael Lee Firkins etc) because I'm getting really into the whole 'making-the-whammy-bar-sound-like-a-slide-thing'.

2) Get it set up as an awesome guitar for slide.

3) Get it set up with heavy strings and high action a la Stevie Ray Vaughn, to build my finger strength and get sweet tone.

So, what do you think? I can get pics if requested :P

Oh, and it should also be noted that this is the same guy who sold me his Orange Rockerverb half-stack a while ago for £650...

-EDIT- Pics:

TL;DR - My housemate set fire to his new £1300 USA strat, he's ashamed and wants to sell it to me for £350. It still plays well, and it looks kinda unique and cool. I already have a USA strat, but I have multiple potential uses for this one.
Last edited by Steve The Plank at Oct 1, 2009,
Dude even if only for the huge bargain, do it!

Plus I bet it has loads of character now.

And yes, pics. Pics, I tell you!
Last edited by MrKoks at Oct 1, 2009,
PICS and do it you already scored this and if it plays well why not
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
That's just awesome. Get it, and I say set it up with heavier strings, also so you can get a chunkier sound out of it, because really, playing Jeff Beck with a burned guitar looks silly. Playing psychedelic rock with a burned guitar is awesome.
It doesn't even look half bad.. and if you really wanted to you could always refinish it, right?

Now go buy it.
that looks cool as ****, i would buy it buy it, i would love to have seen him do it, was he just drunk or was he high as well ?
awesome story and great looking guitar. I'd buy it and maybe add some more marks and spots to it, relic it.
All Hail the Mighty Mastodon

Hail them now, hail them good, hail them just like you should. My neck my back uuuuuuhhhh just like that.. .. .. wat?
Go for it. It's a huge bargain. It doesn't look THAT bad.
I suppose you can go for it. If it works properly, and everythings good, it'll be fine. Plus, it'll look probably a lot better with a bit of playing.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i'll have it if you don't want it
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
I think if it was me, I wouldn't buy it. I'd feel too bad basically ripping off a friend with such a low price on what is still such a good guitar. Personally, I'd be trying to encourage him to play it more.

But if your friend really doesn't want it anymore, you might as well go for it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
He can always sell it back to him. That´s why I always sell my guitars to friends. When I want them back I make an offer!
* Winces *
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by MrFlibble
I think if it was me, I wouldn't buy it. I'd feel too bad basically ripping off a friend with such a low price on what is still such a good guitar. Personally, I'd be trying to encourage him to play it more.

But if your friend really doesn't want it anymore, you might as well go for it.

Man, I spent the last week trying to get him to keep it, but he won't. He says that he's decided he's not a strat man anymore, and he doesn't like it.

And besides, he spends most of his time making douche comments to me, so it's ok.
What a twat

TS, I say go for it. It's a sweet deal.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
wow. i cant believe that. did he put some kind of accelerant on there or just light it in different spots? dude has some balls.

i would get it though....very unique. plus i think it looks alot better than fender's fake relic'ing crap.
Get it, and when people ask why it's burnt, you can say that it's because you're hot shit.

I actually want to do this to a Squier/MIM Tele when I get the money.
Last edited by maXterbat0r at Oct 1, 2009,
I actually find most of the wear sexy.

That said get it two more springs in the back though. <3 five-spring trems.

But yes, buy it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by ibanezgod1973
wouldn`t say no to that.

story sounds a little dodgy imo (just too unbelievable)

Lol, I don't see how it's unbelievable, people getting drunk and doing stupid **** isn't exactly a new thing.
Here's pics of the day after it happened, before we sanded down all the horrible burnt bits:

He looks so ashamed. xD

He also spilt lots of wine on it, which you can see on the scratchplate.
That got to be some hangover!
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Oh jeez...that's hilarious and kinda unfortunate at the same time. I bet ur mate is kicking himself in the head right about now . Go for it, it's a bargain.
That is indeed epic lol
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Wow, *epic facepalm*

so does it have some awesome WARM tone to it?

lululululu.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
i say get it. i think it looks really cool haha and nobody can give you crap for doing a bad fake relic job on it!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Wow. The way he burnt it makes it actually look... good.

I wouldn't replace anything. Keep it for what it is, it's epic because you have this story.
Page 1 of 2