Ok, so I'm a senior in HS, with intermediate level skills. I've gotten intrested in buying a talk-box, but I'm not sure if its worth it. I know it can be used to make some pretty awesome sounds, but I have no experience with one. How hard are they to learn to use, and are they worth the $$$? Any other reccomendations would be nice.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Line 6 Spider III 120
Last edited by gitahjunkie at Oct 1, 2009,
Also, is there any extra gear that I'd have to buy? I read that they use a mic and need a separate PA system, or something. Could I just use my sisters karoke machine for bedroom practice?
http://www.blamepro.com/talkbox.htm#top

Here's a good FAQ.

They aren't hard to use, but they can be tricky to set up.

A "real" talk box isn't just a stompbox with a tube, it actually goes in line with your amplifier's output signal, and requires a microphone.

Of course, a microphone requires a PA system.

And, at least on the old Heil units, while the talk box is on, your amp is "off".

New ones like the Rocktron Banshee have an internal driver, so it can be used more like an effect, but you still need a mic and PA.

Supposedly Danelectro has one that can do without any of the pa junk, but I'm skeptical of how it's set up, and won't comment til I try one.

They're fun, kinda gimmicky, and a little pricey...

Edit:
Could I just use my sisters karoke machine for bedroom practice?

Yeah, that'll work ok.
Last edited by Rutch at Oct 1, 2009,
Awesome, easy to use, great if you want a wah and SO MUCH MORE... They take a LITTLE getting used to... But you can make some AMAZING music with em...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Get a new amp first.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz