Page 1 of 2
Anyone else have experiences with this bullcrap? When you don't like a band someone else likes and they come at you with that "oh... well, you're just not intelligent enough to understand this kind of music" ****?

Dog gamnit thats a pain. I have ears, I can hear the music being played and I can hear it sucking, what don't I understand about it?
Well maybe you should gain some intelligence and they'll stop saying that.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Nope, you must just not be smart enough to understand the complex music.
I've never heard it.

TBH, intelligence really doesn't have anything to do with music appreciation.
If sounds bad to you, then it sounds bad, regardless if you're dumb or smart.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
I've never heard it.

I slightly disagree, not saying its thee most important factor in music but some artists do use a rather large vocabulary and if you cant understand half of what is being said i'd imagine you wouldn't really enjoy the music (not saying this is completely true for every artist but in some cases yes it is)
Last edited by Ekoroski at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by captaincrunk
I can honestly say i have no idea what that means. I do not think that is a word.

oh... well, you're just not intelligent enough to understand these kind of words.

neither am i
Last edited by RhAndroid at Oct 1, 2009,
Intelligence might make more open minded about the music you're hearing. Most of the time, statements like "you're not intelligent" comes from prog-fans, and progressive rock/metal requires an open mind to be appreciated to its full extent.

And saying that "it sucks" is not a very intelligent argument to why the music sounds bad to you, maybe elaborating would help... for the good of everyone!
Quote by captaincrunk
I can honestly say i have no idea what that means. I do not think that is a word.

It's a adaption from a latin word for the simple, uneducated people.
Quote by Ekoroski
I slightly disagree, not saying its thee most important factor in music but some artists do use a rather large vocabulary and if you cant understand half of what is being said i'd imagine you wouldn't really enjoy the music (not saying this is completely true for every artist but in some cases yes it is)

Having a better understanding of music theory [if that's what your saying] does allow for better appreciation of more complex music.
I mean, if I didn't play guitar, I may not enjoy listening to Paul Gilbert.

But, out of a group of people with varying intelligence - all knowing nothing about music - the appreciation of music would have very little relation to their intelligence. Some people may just prefer some music to others, possibly because some people there may have a certain amount of Amusia?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by The_Casinator
And what is it that you are inquiring exactlty, you plebejistic man?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
no one has ever said i'm not as intelligent as them, ever.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
No never......
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by captaincrunk
One you created yourself according to google lol.

So I created a new english word wich I took from an ancient language? I guess that means I'm smart
Quote by Slapfunkah
Anyone else have experiences with this bullcrap? When you don't like a band someone else likes and they come at you with that "oh... well, you're just not intelligent enough to understand this kind of music" ****?

Dog gamnit thats a pain. I have ears, I can hear the music being played and I can hear it sucking, what don't I understand about it?

Although most of the Pit will argue for the side of subjectivity (as will I, most of the time), there's definitely an objective side to music.

Which means you don't have to like it, but you can appreciate the musicianship and underlying theory principals underneath all the noise.
Quote by SmarterChild
No. I must be more intelligent than you.

This

But in expansion to Archangel's post: TS, do they call you an idiot for not liking the music, or for not appreciating the musicianship? If it's the latter, then it may be justifiable sometimes
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
I don't like how people say that people who listen to pop music are a bit dense, because to be honest with you, I don't find music that fun to pick apart and see what's going on with the musicianship. I like a song if I like it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by The_Casinator
It's a adaption from a latin word for the simple, uneducated people.

Similar to plebeian? Plebs is the variant used here normally though.

I don't really have anything to contribute to this, it would be horribly elitist of me to say that one needs a certain degree of intelligence to appreciate certain genres of music; but as trends go - you do see more intelligent people listening to stuff like Post Rock, Classical music and generally more avant garde genres. Just an observation however, not a judgement. Just saying that so some of the idiots don't jump on me.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Nope. But I love pissing those kind of music elitists off. Watching jazzheads freak out after you've told them "Gee inst coltraine ****?" is priceless.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by Simsimius
I've never heard it.

It has nothing to do with your opinion of the music it does have something to do with appreciation, someone who is lacking intelligence or music knowledge will not understand the complexity or emotion put into a certain song or etcetera.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Hmmmmm lets compare for a second the average IQ of Lil Wayne fans vs the average IQ of prog rock fans
Quote by Xenogis
Hmmmmm lets compare for a second the average IQ of Lil Wayne fans vs the average IQ of prog rock fans

Even so, Lil Wayne is Brootalz solo guitar.
Quote by Xenogis

I've seen a lot of very smart people who listen to Lil Wayne. I've seen a lot of very dumb people who listen to Prog. Your argument is invalid.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Never had it happen. Mostly because if people say things like that around me I can show that I am relatively intelligent.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Slapfunkah

You're arguing about someone trying to force their opinions on you, and yet you are so convinced that your own is correct. Hello, double standards.

Ever heard of "subjectivity?"
Quote by Slapfunkah
what don't I understand about it?
Apparently, everything.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Page 1 of 2