If you haven't tried it, there is a not so limited demo on their website. upgrade from GR3 costs around 80 bucks.

Most of us on here knows that Guitar Rig 3 sucks, but I can see that 4 is a huge improvement. The reverbs and delays are really been improved.

Here is my settings for a really nice metal solo tone, cool for both slow leading and sweep piking. (demo can't save preset).

Lets discuss the release. Its good and can actually compete with other amp sims. I'll stick to ABG's software, it doesnt suck, but ABG's software is free and IMO better.
Last edited by GisleAune at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by GisleAune
If you haven't tried it, there is a not so limited demo on their website. upgrade from GR3 costs around 80 bucks.

Most of us on here knows that Guitar Rig 3 sucks, but I can see that 4 is a huge improvement. The reverbs and delays are really been improved.

Here is my settings for a really nice metal solo tone, cool for both slow leading and sweep piking. (demo can't save preset).

I really beg to differ on that point.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
What are you talking about, I've made some crazy presets in that program that do some amazing things. It probably sucks because you're using a demo, or I can understand why you think it sucks if you have no idea how to tweak the built in rack effects. If you know how to stack things and manipulate them the way you want on the other hand, it'll give you some stuff that's really out of this world.
Quote by Xeron Brigs
I really beg to differ on that point.

It's not up to the high standards set by all those free amp simulators across the web.

I was there too, i though Gutiar Rig was the ultimate amp simulator. I tried some free stuff, went back to guitar rig. Then i found AcmeBarGig and their software ****ing rock. now i think GR3 sounds cheap and the distortions suck at rhytms.

I still love the clean sound though. Pop -> Pop Squesse is a great clean sound on GR3
Again, I think this comes down to settings, I don't think you know what the hell you're doing with any of the stuff in front of you, therefore it's not producing an output to supply your ears needs. I won't bash acme as I haven't used it.
Quote by GisleAune
It's not up to the high standards set by all those free amp simulators across the web.

I was there too, i though Gutiar Rig was the ultimate amp simulator. I tried some free stuff, went back to guitar rig. Then i found AcmeBarGig and their software ****ing rock. now i think GR3 sounds cheap and the distortions suck at rhytms.

I still love the clean sound though. Pop -> Pop Squesse is a great clean sound on GR3

For me, I have been able to use Guitar Rig 3 to get every single tone I have thought up so far. As for the "distortions suck at rhytms" I have to disagree. As a primarily rhythm guitarist, I have gotten everything from a bluesy-overdrive to doom-metal style tones. What I usually do is set my amps to be as clean as possible, eq them until they sound right, put the distortion pedal I am looking for in front of the amp, turn it to how I like it, and then add about 250 ms of delay for a reverb effect.

As for Guitar Rig 4, I think that the addition of two new amps, several (around 7 I believe) effects and the control center are an improvement over the old software. I'll be sure to upgrade fairly soon.
lol @ the people who love their super digital tones, trying to defend this program.

But yeahh, I'll check it out.
I liked the way Guitar Rig was set up as compared to Revalver and Amplitube.. but I'd say Revalver probably sounded the best.. but I only used demos. The only one I actually own is Guitar Rig.. and it's nice for convienant playing.. but I wouldn't really use it for much past that.. it just screams out that digital, flat, thin tone.
Alot of the distortion gets that real digital mud sound to it.. although it's far worse on Guitar Rig than say.. a POD or something.
The noise gate also sucks so much. Sometimes the noise is as loud as the guitar if you put enough gain.

Maybe this one will be a bit better...
Quote by TechnicolorType
lol @ the people who love their super digital tones, trying to defend this program.

Clearly, Guitar Rig 3 will never sound as good as a tube amp, that much is certain. However, Guitar Rig is a great tool for a guitarist, as not only do you have plenty of amps and effects to mess with to try to get a tone that you enjoy, but you also don't have to go out and buy 14 amps and 48 effects boxes in order to try them out.

I also don't really know what you are talking about with the noise gate as mine works as intended without any problems. I really like the program. While it will never be better than an actual amp with actual effects boxes, that isn't going to stop me from using it.
Going out and buying '14 amps' and '48 effect boxes' isn't really trying them out since they aren't going to be like the real ones. You don't have to pay anything to try that stuff out. Just go to a music store.

But saying that was mainly directed toward the people who get hooked on digital gear or solid state gear to the point where they believe it sounds much better.

And yeahh, I see it as fine for most purposes but I wouldn't use it for any professional uses.. it's nice when you don't want to go all out and hook up to an amp though. Or when just doing the usual online stuff and you want to start jamming.

As for the noise gate, I'm not sure. It just seems iffy. It seems to only cut the noise off after so long. Like I'll stop playing and then a few seconds later the noise will finally die.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by TechnicolorType
Going out and buying '14 amps' and '48 effect boxes' isn't really trying them out since they aren't going to be like the real ones. You don't have to pay anything to try that stuff out. Just go to a music store.

But saying that was mainly directed toward the people who get hooked on digital gear or solid state gear to the point where they believe it sounds much better.

And yeahh, I see it as fine for most purposes but I wouldn't use it for any professional uses.. it's nice when you don't want to go all out and hook up to an amp though. Or when just doing the usual online stuff and you want to start jamming.

As for the noise gate, I'm not sure. It just seems iffy. It seems to only cut the noise off after so long. Like I'll stop playing and then a few seconds later the noise will finally die.

I wholeheartedly agree that having a tube amp in person is the definitive choice, but being able to gig with these kinds of things live in combination with that in mind makes for insane performances and help create a broader definition in the aspiring artists tone, I'm saying this of course in the spectrum of all Native Instrument products, not just Guitar Rig.
Last edited by XeroDivide at Oct 1, 2009,
I'm intregued, but i'd be surprised if this was a real improvement.
they don't seem to have improved any of the amps orr cabs, just tacked on a few more.
Last edited by TheDriller at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by XeroDivide
^Too many damn trolls in this forum

are you nuts? Ryan is one of the most talented young engineers i've heard in a while.
there's no problem with trolls on this board, but there is a huge problem of people who haven't a clue what they are talking about.
Now you're trolling me, I just check his myspace, he uses digital on some of his stuff. Not that I'm bashin', guy has skills. But who is he to say about someone defining heavy, gtfo of here dude
you got skillz ryan, but you got the ego to match it

Editz: I liked one or two presets on GR3 and liked its interface as a whole. Ill check out 4
Last edited by richwatkinson at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by richwatkinson
you got skillz ryan, but you got the ego to match it

rightfully so.

Quote by CatharsisStudio
oh and my clients who are pretty br00talz. could maybe vouch for me too

*waves*
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
oh and my clients who are pretty br00talz. could maybe vouch for me too

Music's all opinion. Just like analog or digital.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
true that.

DOUBLE TRUE.

However, there is a very clear distinction between a ****ty guitar sound and a great guitar sound...
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by XeroDivide
What are you talking about, I've made some crazy presets in that program that do some amazing things. It probably sucks because you're using a demo, or I can understand why you think it sucks if you have no idea how to tweak the built in rack effects. If you know how to stack things and manipulate them the way you want on the other hand, it'll give you some stuff that's really out of this world.

I own GR 3 and i effin know what im talking about. it can make cool effects an awesome cleans, but the distortions for rhytms arent good.

Amp sims tries their best to sound real, ABG, LePau and Nick Crow is doing it well, because they don't try to sound like an specified amp. Go check 'em out and you'll facepalm yourself for saying that GR is the best.
Last edited by GisleAune at Oct 2, 2009,