I have a problem. I can hit notes okay, but the timbre of my voice overall is just awful. Can anyone tell me anything to remedy this?
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
To a large extent, timbre is a byproduct of technique. How you produce your voice will determine how much resonance, etc. your voice will have. Lessons are critical for learning proper technique.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Does that mean that if the tone/timbre of your voice sounds good, technique is properly fine?
Depends on what you mean by 'good.' Conventionally, good tone means resonance, projection, openness, and clarity.

If you sound like AC/DC, you probably sound great, but are probably wrecking your voice. If you sound like an opera singer, you're probably singing with good technique. (but no guarantees....)

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Yeah but opera singers died of young age due to the massive resonation in their skulls. Luckily there is a quite a gap between ACDC and Opera.
Huh? I have never heard of anyone dying from that. Citation?

As a good in-between, good singers that readily come to mind in the rock world (in the last ten years) would be the guy from Jimmy Eat World, or the guy from Silverchair. Going back a ways, of course, there is Bruce Dickenson, and even Paul Stanley, Rik Emmet of Triumph, and Brian Vollmer from Helix. Going back further, and getting away from the higher registers would be Frank Sinatra. All of those singers sing with a pure, open tone most of the time. (with some deviations for vocal effect)

I love Brian Johnson's and Steven Tyler's voices, but they run their voices through a fair bit of abuse.

CT

Quote by pandora_grunt
Yeah but opera singers died of young age due to the massive resonation in their skulls. Luckily there is a quite a gap between ACDC and Opera.

No.

EDIT: Just googled it and still found nothing....
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
I did too, with the same null result.

CT