I am pretty much a beginner to the electric guitar.
Does anyone own a Jackson JS30DK or have experience with one? If so are they worth buying?
I was looking at them today and they seem pretty good.
Last edited by ChrissyCorrigan at Oct 1, 2009,
They're pretty cruddy for what they are tbh.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Since you're a beginner, I wouldn't recommend getting a guitar with a floating bridge since you'll probably be experimenting with different tunings and a bridge like that will be require modifications whenever you change tunings. Other than that, the guitar is good for the price. The neck is pretty thin which is what most people prefer, and the pickups sound good on clean and distorted settings.
You can get the guitar without the Tremelo, would that be better for me? I dont really use the tremelo on my current guitar so I could just get that?
Quote by ChrissyCorrigan
You can get the guitar without the Tremelo, would that be better for me? I dont really use the tremelo on my current guitar so I could just get that?

No you could get much better than any js from this site

http://www.rondomusic.com/
Unfortunatley im from england so that website couldnt work for me. Im struggling to find a guitar that is under £300 that would suit my needs.
Quote by ChrissyCorrigan
Unfortunatley im from england so that website couldnt work for me. Im struggling to find a guitar that is under £300 that would suit my needs.

Well, what do you need?
avoid JS made in India, if you can find JS's made in Japan, they are better. I have a Japanese JS that has a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck and bill lawrence in the bridge and it does a lot better than many a guitar out there. The Indian built ones in my opinion are not worth the money. I saw some in a store and gave them a whirl and there is a difference in feel, ie, the neck does differ. THe indian models also use cedro for the body, not saying its a bad wood but with the stock pups it does sound a bit weedy.
Quote by guidothepimmp
avoid JS made in India, if you can find JS's made in Japan, they are better. I have a Japanese JS that has a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck and bill lawrence in the bridge and it does a lot better than many a guitar out there. The Indian built ones in my opinion are not worth the money. I saw some in a store and gave them a whirl and there is a difference in feel, ie, the neck does differ. THe indian models also use cedro for the body, not saying its a bad wood but with the stock pups it does sound a bit weedy.

I own an Indian model.. I was looking for an 900$ guitar and ended up buying the 400$ instead of the more expensive ones.. It feels perfect in my hands. The stock pickups suck though, I replaced them for D-Sonic/Air Norton combo and it's one of the best guitars i've played and i've played A LOT
Quote by guidothepimmp

No JS is made in Japan, you have a much higher up model or a really old model if it is made in japan.
Quote by darkcheef
No JS is made in Japan, you have a much higher up model or a really old model if it is made in japan.

I have a JS made in Japan... it is old yes but it is a japan JS. I also own DK2M's from Japan so I am fully aware of what models are made where.

fyi, the spec on my JAP js is an alder body, jt580 trem, 22 fret and unbound neck. cant remember what pups it had originally but the current pups i put in years ago. and yes im sure it is a JS because it is stamped in the neck pocket.
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
I own a JS30KV.. INSANE quality for the price, get some new pickups and you'll have an insane cheap guitar
I own a older JS Kelly model (I think it's made out of alder). I think it's great, besides the pickups.

I like it. Love the feel of it, and the quality is great for a $400 guitar. I too have changed out the pickups to a Seymour Duncan JB' and Jazz.

I use it just as much as my DK2 or my KVX10 (with Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz.)

I wouldn't touch the guitars that have trems in the JS range though. When I tried a JS30DK, the guitar kept going out of tune after one drop. Stick to the string-through body models.