Page 1 of 3
hey guys,

i was just sittin here bored as hell and started thinkin about how bad i want to go see a G3 show. so then i thought what would my ideal lineup be?

in case you dont know G3 is a show that features three virtuoso guitarist in the same place at the same time a shredders dream come true!!!

so my ideal lineup would be satch, john 5, and john petrucci.

what would be you guys' ideal lineup??

NOTE: even though satch started G3 back up and he is always featured on the lineup you dont have to include him if you dont want to.
john 5, yngwie malmsteen, and george lynch
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
petrucci, guthrie govan, michael romeo. this would be amazing!!
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
Err.

Paul Gilbert...

John Petrucci

and

Err...

Al Di Meola or The Govan
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
I'd say Steve Vai, Steve Morse and Guthrie Govan.
All have very different styles, and all kick unholy amounts of arse.
Probably Buckethead, Paul Gilbert and Eric Johnson/Guthrie Govan.
I've heard it both ways
I'd have to go with Vai, Friedman, and Petrucci. Never was a huge Satch fan, though I respect him as much as any. He is a true legend, and the likes of Vai would never have happened had Satch not taught him. Still, I'd go with these three.
Buckethead, Jan Akkerman (Yes, Jan Akkerman), and... Shawn Lane if he was alive.

EDIT: Might as well explain why.
Buckethead brings out the oddity of the group. He dominates on effects, both through pedal use and technique. I also want to see him working with other guitarists, he never really does.
Jan Akkerman brings out the classic side. And he has incredible talent as well. I mean, he was sweeping in the early 70's, that's pretty impressive.
Shawn Lane brings out the intense speeds. Being able to alt pick something that sounds just like Buckethead's 8 finger tapping is just awesome. Shawn also would bring out the different non-western music, with Indian scales, and tri-tone stuff.

Basically, I'm imagining Buckethead doing 8 finger tapping, and killswitching, with Shawn Lane sweeping and alt picking with incredible legato, and Jan Akkerman doing rhythm while creating his own melodies. So essentially we'd have a really intense polyphonic jam that covers several genres and time periods.
Last edited by Baby Joel at Oct 1, 2009,
Satch, Gilbert and Becker (if only he didn't get his illness)
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Baby Joel
Buckethead, Jan Akkerman (Yes, Jan Akkerman), and... Shawn Lane if he was alive.

Seen him live a few weeks ago and boy, can he play.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
He's awesome, and incredibly underrated. I almost got to see him in June I believe, but missed out.
Buckethead, Gilbert, Govan. Never gonna happen though...

And John Mclaughlin and IA Eklundh... Ah, endless possibilities.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
3 of me.

Or 2 Satches and Galen Henson.
Prog flavored juice ... You tried it yet?

Shameless plot to promote zee band.
Shed 31
Joe, Vai, and Me.

what a blast that would be.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, and definitely HERMAN LI.

I kid, I kid. Satch or Vai for the third slot, I'm undecided.
Jason Becker -Incredible sweeping, great composition

Shawn Lane-blazing legato, great feeling

Michael Lee Firkins-Take jeff beck add acid than sweep picking!
Also one of the most underrated for his technical ability he is easily top 5

Quote by Baby Joel

Buckethead brings out the oddity of the group. He dominates on effects, both through pedal use and technique. I also want to see him working with other guitarists, he never really does.
with Shawn Lane sweeping and alt picking with incredible legato, polyphonic jam that

Buckethead is better technical than Shawn Lane??? whaaat
(I hope you mean technique with the effects)

and since when does shawn lane sweep?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I've decided that Paul Gilbert's hands have no method of communication with his brain. they exist as separate sentient beings each with an IQ of 400.
Last edited by Jimi-is-god at Oct 2, 2009,
I didn't say Buckethead had better technique. What I meant to say is that Buckethead can make bizzare sounds without effects.
And Shawn Lane sweeps. He does a lot more alt and econ picking, but he still sweeps.
Quote by Baby Joel
I didn't say Buckethead had better technique. What I meant to say is that Buckethead can make bizzare sounds without effects.
And Shawn Lane sweeps. He does a lot more alt and econ picking, but he still sweeps.

Thats what i was hoping...just a misunderstanding

I have never seen him sweep, and apparently he is not to fond of it ( not my words)
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I've decided that Paul Gilbert's hands have no method of communication with his brain. they exist as separate sentient beings each with an IQ of 400.
He's done it a bit, not a lot though. He's good at it, but much better at alt and econ picking.
Quote by Baby Joel
He's done it a bit, not a lot though. He's good at it, but much better at alt and econ picking.

well if he was as good at sweeping as alternate picking
My head would explode listening/ or watching it
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Quote by Baby Joel
He's awesome, and incredibly underrated. I almost got to see him in June I believe, but missed out.

[rubs it in]

2 hour concert, solo and focus stuff, and it was free

[/rubs it in]

Oh and for those bashing digital FX, guess what he used for his tone?

I sheet you not, that's what he used, and his tone was to die for.

(and yes, page stretch was necessary
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Oct 2, 2009,
For me, Satch, Petrucci, and Paul Gilbert.
I never was a big fan of Vai (DON'T KILL ME). Something about his music has never really clicked for me. I respect the hell out of him, and I can see why a lot of other people love his stuff, but his music just isn't my thing.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
For me, Satch, Petrucci, and Paul Gilbert.
I never was a big fan of Vai (DON'T KILL ME). Something about his music has never really clicked for me. I respect the hell out of him, and I can see why a lot of other people love his stuff, but his music just isn't my thing.

That's the lineup I'd pick too. And I'm with you on Steve Vai. Mad respect for his abilities but his music just isn't for me.
Buckethead (a-la Praxis), Omar Rodriguez Lopez, John Frusciante

OR

Robert Fripp, John McLaughlin, Frank Zappa
█████████████████████████
Jason Becker for his draw-dropping speed and tasteful playing.

Buckethead for his amazing knowledge on different techniques and his ability to completely blow you away with something that sounds like it would be impossible to play on a guitar.

Finally, Marty Friedman for his exotic scales and plus he totally compliments Jason and vice versa as you can see in Cacophony.

All pretty well known players, but that would be my personal G3 lineup.
In a perfect world

Jason Becker
Guthrie Govan
Paul Gilbert.

If Guthrie Govan does ever make it to G3 before being famous, he'll be famous then, and finally be able to come over the US for touring.
Ibanez RG350MDX
Dunlop Jazz IIIs
DR Tite-fits(Only because High-Beams sell too fast for me to buy them)
Carvin X212B
This crops up all the time, and all the time, my ideal lineup is different

Vai, Gilbert, Martone
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Jeff Beck, Steve Morse, and Steve Lukather

Beck's not a shredder by any stretch of the imagination. He's still amazing though.
Morse is just ridiculous. He can play anything.
Lukather is most known for being in Toto and doing studio work. But he can rip with the best of them.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Gilbert,Becker,Friedman

Marty plays amazing with either of them. Theres an episode of rock fujiyama on youtube where Paul and Marty lock horns and do some amazing stuff and we already know that Friedman and Becker are good together.
Alas the three of them in peak playing condition would destroy the world
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by Pilgrim#1
Canadians-only G3: Jeff Waters, Devin Townsend and Piggy D'armour.

take out piggy, add Jack Semple
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbXfND2BH7E

He can literally play any style of guitar music
Oh the days when MTV had guitar competitions
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Quote by Ineedmoney427
That's the lineup I'd pick too. And I'm with you on Steve Vai. Mad respect for his abilities but his music just isn't for me.

I find he tries to hard, he really uses his immense knowledge and ability on the guitar a little to much
He overcomplicates things... But for me "luckily" I enjoy that, some people don't
and that is understanable.

I love alot of bucketheads music...but some of his stuff i can listen to "any" of it

I say as long as you can appreciate ( like you do) it doesn't matter if you think his music is great.
When people say they suck, because they don't appreciate his music... that i draw the line on.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
buckethead, paul gilbert and marty friedman

boy would that be a show
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Page 1 of 3