So... Who agrees that there are WAY to many sub-genres of metal? and then there are sub-genres of those to.... The entire list really needs to be shrunk down.
I mean, some sub genres are good, but theres way to effin many
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
Seriously, For instance...
Doom Metal is a sub-genre of metal, but then theres progressive doom metal, melodic doom metal, sludge doom metal, death doom metal, funeral doom metal, torture doom metal, alternative doom metal, Melodic progressive doom metal, symphonic doom metal, black doom metal, gothic doom metal, atmospheric doom metal etc. etc. it goes on.
Its ridiculous
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
No one fucking cares that you can't get your head around some fairly simple concepts.

*reported*

As for your thing about doom, deal with it. From the tags you gave me, I can easily think of what a band like that would sound like. Good god, was that useful? I think it was! End of argument.

Alternately, you can complain to the Metal Subgenres Bros. and get them to shorten the list. Fair?
Last edited by webbtje at Oct 1, 2009,
It is just a way of classifying with precision. It is done with all things. It is because there are so many bands rising and falling all the time, and they sound different so how do you refer to them? You could just call them all metal but then what do you say a band sounds like? You have to be able to refer to the sound as something.
UG is gone to ****. All people say is searchbar, *reported* and use the anonymity of the internet to flame. Pricks.
Indeed there are many. Too many? Never enough metal.

Seriously though. It isn't complicated. For example (but not limited to):

Death metal
Thrash metal
Doom metal
Black metal
Heavy metal/NWOBHM
Speed metal
Power metal
Folk metal

Okay. What does "blackened death metal" imply? If you answered death metal with black metal influences you would be absolutely correct. What does "progressive power metal" mean? Power metal that progresses the sound of that genre forward, right? What about brutal death metal? Death metal with an emphasis on speed, brutality and heaviness more than melody. Is it that complicated? Seriously, just go read a short Wikipedia article or something, it's a pretty easy concept. What should we do, just exclude doom metal, or remove black metal from existence? It's like saying too many people exist. Live with it.
What the hell is torture doom metal?

But anyway, I've never had a problem with subgenres. They help me better articulate exactly what it is I'm listening to. Its like complaining that there's too many shades of green. Its all green, why break it down into forest green, seafoam green, blackened brutal greengrind with hardcore influences... honestly, from my experience the only people that don't like subgenres are the people who have no idea what they are.
Quote by Sóknardalr
Indeed there are many. Too many? Never enough metal.

Seriously though. It isn't complicated. For example (but not limited to):

Death metal
Thrash metal
Doom metal
Black metal
Heavy metal/NWOBHM
Speed metal
Power metal
Folk metal

Okay. What does "blackened death metal" imply? If you answered death metal with black metal influences you would be absolutely correct. What does "progressive power metal" mean? Power metal that progresses the sound of that genre forward, right? What about brutal death metal? Death metal with an emphasis on speed, brutality and heaviness more than melody. Is it that complicated? Seriously, just go read a short Wikipedia article or something, it's a pretty easy concept. What should we do, just exclude doom metal, or remove black metal from existence? It's like saying too many people exist. Live with it.

Bingo.

They're really not difficult to get your head around at all.

Oh, just saying, NWOBHM was a movement, or era, not a subgenre. Because, well, Venom and Iron Maiden, both NWOBHM bands, couldn't be more different.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh

Oh, just saying, NWOBHM was a movement, or era, not a subgenre. Because, well, Venom and Iron Maiden, both NWOBHM bands, couldn't be more different.

Finally, someone who agree's.
Quote by I_hate_kyle
What the hell is torture doom metal?

But anyway, I've never had a problem with subgenres. They help me better articulate exactly what it is I'm listening to. Its like complaining that there's too many shades of green. Its all green, why break it down into forest green, seafoam green, blackened brutal greengrind with hardcore influences... honestly, from my experience the only people that don't like subgenres are the people who have no idea what they are.

Senthil and to a lesser extent Wormphelgm.

They both suck. Stick to traditional/epic doom.
Can we please close this and send any talk of genres to the Rec Thread?
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
im stil waiting for the core pussies to come out of their basements...
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Quote by sound-byte
im stil waiting for the core pussies to come out of their basements...

**** them. They don't have a horse in this ****ing race.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7

Quote by rocknrollstar

Im guessing anus.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Out of curiosity, how do you manage to eat soup without drowning in it?

Wear floaties!
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7

Quote by rocknrollstar

Im guessing anus.
Quote by freddaahh
Bingo.

They're really not difficult to get your head around at all.

Thanks for the info, I really didn't understand why people called the British bands NWOBHM just because they were British, and in reality were only traditional metal. I guess it makes sense if you think about it, though.
Why is it that when threads like these get started, the TS vanishes after the initial post and never contributes anything additional to his own thread? I took the time to post, at least provide some rebuttal, TS.