I'm still looking for a high gain amp to play METAL and I still can't really make a decision witch amp to buy, one think for sure i want a mesa boogie but don't have 2K$ to spend though. Basically, i want a TUBE amp combo or only the head , I don't want a OD pedal plugged in the amp eventually, i would like to have one in the future that could works well, if one day i decide to reach higher gain.

My budget would be around 500-700$, not more 15 W tube whit master control or selector switch, don't want effects in it, simple has possible and if there a foot switch then it's bonus for me. I know whit that budget i can't really have the best metal sound without invest some money into but, something that sound great whit high gain would be awesome in that range though.

I tried: BTW those are my opinion.

-Orange terror head: great hard rock sound but missing the metal sound.
-night train:great bright sound missing the metal sound.
-Vox ac4: good tone but don't want to buy a OD pedal.
-bugeraV22: very good crunch, i heard that brakes often.
-blackstar ht-5: like the tone, i have no dealer nearby damn

if you have some suggestion please let me know.
Quote by fabsi
I'm still looking for a high gain amp to play METAL and I still can't really make a decision witch amp to buy, one think for sure i want a mesa boogie but don't have 2K$ to spend though. Basically, i want a TUBE amp combo or only the head , I don't want a OD pedal plugged in the amp eventually, i would like to have one in the future that could works well, if one day i decide to reach higher gain.

My budget would be around 500-700$, not more 15 W tube whit master control or selector switch, don't want effects in it, simple has possible and if there a foot switch then it's bonus for me. I know whit that budget i can't really have the best metal sound without invest some money into but, something that sound great whit high gain would be awesome in that range though.

I tried: BTW those are my opinion.

-Orange terror head: great hard rock sound but missing the metal sound.
-night train:great bright sound missing the metal sound.
-Vox ac4: good tone but don't want to buy a OD pedal.
-bugeraV22: very good crunch, i heard that brakes often.
-blackstar ht-5: like the tone, i have no dealer nearby damn

if you have some suggestion please let me know.

Yes look for something with more wattage and used.........
Quote by IbanezPsycho
More headroom, more options and better tone.

+1

Low wattage amps aren't very quiet (like people seem to think they are) and they don't have amazing tone.

The TS would be better off going with something that had more watts (it honestly wouldn't be that much louder and there would be many more options (most of which would have better tone than the low watt amps, and guaranteed more headroom) available.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Oct 1, 2009,
Edit: Im retarded

Bugera 6262?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Oct 1, 2009,
I was going to suggest my fave amp on the market, Peavey 6505, but it seems that in the USA they are going for about $1K. So why not check out the Peavey Valve Kings i work in a music shop and love them for guys wanting to test out Jacksons, Ibanez and Schecters. Not to mention the guys who play Gibsons (as i do) who love to use all the peavey gear (as i do) and the best bit is the 100w heads are going for around $550.00 and the half stacks are around $899.00.
If it's not much help i apologize but it's definitely one to try out!
Check out these youtube vids for some ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDS0ykQIfeY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1KECn9NxsA
Last edited by bennield at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by Blinn
Line 6 Spider Valve

sounds good i will go try it out tomorrow. those handle good OD pedal ? did you find that sound digital ?
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Edit: Im retarded

Bugera 6262?

i tried that one has well, love the crunch im only worried about the Reliability
Quote by IbanezPsycho
More headroom, more options and better tone.

thanks, i agree whit you, but i don't want used tube amp, maybe a SS.
Quote by bennield
I was going to suggest my fave amp on the market, Peavey 6505, but it seems that in the USA they are going for about $1K. So why not check out the Peavey Valve Kings i work in a music shop and love them for guys wanting to test out Jacksons, Ibanez and Schecters. Not to mention the guys who play Gibsons (as i do) who love to use all the peavey gear (as i do) and the best bit is the 100w heads are going for around $550.00 and the half stacks are around $899.00.
If it's not much help i apologize but it's definitely one to try out!
Check out these youtube vids for some ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDS0ykQIfeY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1KECn9NxsA

hehe thanks i will check it out. I play a Gibson LP studio whit EMG's need to check the peavy gear
Check out my thread
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by fabsi
thanks, i agree whit you, but i don't want used tube amp, maybe a SS.

You wont buy a "NEW" Bugera because of reliability but yet you wont by used either.... Interesting... Because if you go that route you might want to look at an acoustic

Used high end tube amps are going to be more reliable in that price range then 96% of the cheaply produced amps today in that price range. Also i've seen more SS amps cross path in my shop to try and get fixed then any tube amp.

But ehh to each there own..
I got my Mesa F-100 for only $700. Craigslist baba! Keep checking craigslist for local deals. You might just get your dream amp for cheaper than you thought possible
I hate my sig
If you have the right guitar, the valveking can be potent. check out my sound clip, the first track on my myspace.

www.myspace.com/jasoncliffordclement
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You wont buy a "NEW" Bugera because of reliability but yet you wont by used either.... Interesting... Because if you go that route you might want to look at an acoustic

Used high end tube amps are going to be more reliable in that price range then 96% of the cheaply produced amps today in that price range. Also i've seen more SS amps cross path in my shop to try and get fixed then any tube amp.

But ehh to each there own..

I would buy it new, if they were more reliable. Some music store in my area don't even want to deal whit bugera anymore cause, they had to much problem whit. Anyway, i just though that buying SS used would cost me much less to fix then a used Tube amp if i had problem whit. I don't know since im not tech . thanks anyway.
Quote by fabsi
I would buy it new, if they were more reliable. Some music store in my area don't even want to deal whit bugera anymore cause, they had to much problem whit. Anyway, i just though that buying SS used would cost me much less to fix then a used Tube amp if i had problem whit. I don't know since im not tech . thanks anyway.

That's the point im getting at, reliability is reliability, new or used if the amp is reliable its reliable. So you just as soon save you alot of cash and go used.

SS amps cost to fix, per price paid is much greater then tubes amps. Also in most SS amps when they break they break hard so there is no coming back from most SS amp failures. And as per those failures its about a 1/20 tube to ss failure rate. The first question out of my mouth when someone calls me up to fix there SS is how much did you pay for it and it usually follows with its more cost effective to just purchase another one.
Yeah Myspace is dumb and super compresses everything. Lol.
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Quote by thrasher.
Are you willing to go used? Where are you located?

talking to IbanezPsycho he kind of made me understand that buying used, it not a bad idea though.
email me fabtheone08@hotmail.com