So, i Own a Jackson JS30dkt, and a while back i bought a broken gibson to steel the pickups.
i pulled everything apart and got ready to swap them out. once i pulled the back off of my Jackson to make sure the pickups only had One wire.
I found they have four??
a Ground, (which goes to a bolt strait into the body) A Green wire, which goes to my Pickup selecter, And a Red and White wire, which are both pulled back and Tapes back down to the wire that came from the pickup.
And Each pickup look the same way, with all the wires.

What are these for??????

Could they be for a 9 volt system? or what??
I'd really appreciate if you guys could help me out with this.
"The grass is always greener on the other side..."
Quote by tetsuma
Bass work is just as important as guitar work, its people who dont understand this who fail.
one of them is the 'hot' wire it's soldered to the poti contact, then there are two more wires which are only useful if you want to coil split the pickup. if not, just solder them together, the ground wire is soldered to the back of the pot. the colors of those wires change with every pickup brand so you got to take a look at a wiring diagram for that kind of pickups to make sure you do the wiring right
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
so the extra wires are for like, coil tapping?
Quote by tetsuma
Bass work is just as important as guitar work, its people who dont understand this who fail.
Quote by *****bass
so the extra wires are for like, coil tapping?

yup...
take a look at www.guitarelectronics.com
they sure have a wiring diagram which suits your purpose
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
ok.and what about my gibson pickups? they've only got a single wire? do i just solder those to the proper spots on the pickup selector?
Quote by tetsuma
there are at least two wires on every pickup, maybe you just have get the isolation off a bit.
if there are just two wires, one is the 'hot' wire and the other one is soldered to the other ground wires
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
the 'hot and the ground wire of the new pickup have to be soldered to the same places the wires of the old pickups were soldered to...
but before you get out the soldering iron, make sure the planned wiring is working properly
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
so, i did find two wires, its got one down the middle. and then some insulation. then strands wrapped around that, and then the final layer of insulation. im assuming the inside wire goes to the pikcup selector then the outside goes to the ground?
Quote by tetsuma
Quote by *****bass
so, i did find two wires, its got one down the middle. and then some insulation. then strands wrapped around that, and then the final layer of insulation. im assuming the inside wire goes to the pikcup selector then the outside goes to the ground?

yeaht thats right but to be sure, test it before you solder
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
With a fully insulated pickup cable, you can put either wire to hot and the other to ground. The convention is the centre one is the hot but reversing them just puts that pickup out of phase and sometimes gives some pleasant tones when both pickups are used. Singly, there is no difference.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

how will i know when im testing which is right? whichever i think sounds better?
Quote by tetsuma
Quote by *****bass
how will i know when im testing which is right? whichever i think sounds better?

yeah, just experiment a little with different wirings to see which is the best. you can also look up a wiring diagram at that site i posted before and wire it like its shown there
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul