Poll: If you experience no positive effects from a drug, would you still be hooked?
Poll Options
View poll results: If you experience no positive effects from a drug, would you still be hooked?
Yes
19 39%
No
30 61%
Voters: 49.
Let's say you inject yourself with heroin. You experience all the effects as normal, the good and the bad.

Now, heroin is supposedly extremely addictive, but I am wondering, what if you didn't enjoy the good symptoms of the drug?

If you didn't experience any kind of pleasure from the drug, would you still be hooked or not? I find it hard to believe that someone would inject themselves with something they didn't like, it would be like eating something you dislike.

Poll coming
heroin WILL make you feel good, trust me. however, you won't get addicted to anything the first time you do it. and if you don't like the effects of it you probably won't wanna do it again, in which case you won't get addicted.

heroin isn't as addictive as most people think, and i don't think there has ever been anyone who didn't enjoy the effects. it'd be like not enjoying fapping.
Supposedly it does take a few doses before your body starts to become dependant and "need" heroin to function normally. I would have thought if you take it once and that once is an extremely horrifying experience it would definitely put you off.

However a famous guitarist (won't mention the name for fear of libel) has reportedly said although it takes several uses to become addicted to heroin, he was hooked from the first hit.

Heroin will seriously mess you up and it is very, very illegal for that very reason. (I have never taken it btw!)
All the things people say about addiction aren't necessarily true... You can try heroin once or twice. If you don't like it you won't get addicted unless you're the type of dumbass who really gets stuck in peer pressure situations, when you could easily just be like yo dawg I don't do that but I enjoy watching my friends look stupid?

Sorry.. got a little off topic... But...

You probably wouldn't get addicted to something you don't like... Some people smoke cigarettes for a long time and know they need to quit, but are addicted, because apparently the first time you smoke it sucks, but everyone says it get's way better after the "vomiting" phase. That's stupid though, why would anyone want to go through that?

+ wasting money on drugs is stoopid... I'd rather buy gear or a 7 string.
Most people on UG aren't very nice.

That is my signature.

This is true.
Last edited by Religulous at Oct 1, 2009,
heroin isn't a matter of taste like food or something
heroine messes with your hormones to make you feel better, that's the effect. So everyone will like the effect I guess
Technically, you are addicted to Oxygen (because you need it) and you don't quite enjoy it.
Drugs create a false need.

Yes, you are addicted still. (Varies from organism to organism)
Last edited by Fiire at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by Rupert1616
how can you answer this question without trying heroin?

stupid thread.

Medicine. and Psychology.
Quote by Fiire

i meant how can the average pit user know whether they personally would be addicted to it

EDIT: is this thread asking whether i personally would be addicted or would a normal person in theory be addicted?
Last edited by Rupert1616 at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by Fiire

Lwnd to a homeless mannnn
Most people on UG aren't very nice.

That is my signature.

This is true.
Quote by Religulous
All the things people say about addiction aren't necessarily true... You can try heroin once or twice. If you don't like it you won't get addicted unless you're the type of dumbass who really gets stuck in peer pressure situations, when you could easily just be like yo dawg I don't do that but I enjoy watching my friends look stupid?

Sorry.. got a little off topic... But...

You probably wouldn't get addicted to something you don't like... Some people smoke cigarettes for a long time and know they need to quit, but are addicted, because apparently the first time you smoke it sucks, but everyone says it get's way better after the "vomiting" phase. That's stupid though, why would anyone want to go through that?

+ wasting money on drugs is stoopid... I'd rather buy gear or a 7 string.

I quit cigarettes because i realised i didn't actually like them. The need for nicotine makes you think you enjoy 'um, but really the only pleasure you get is relieving the nicotine craving. So it's not as off-topic as you think.

So yeah, if you count nicotine as an addictive drug (and i certainly do) you can be addicted to somthing you don't actually enjoy. I was for like four years..

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
I think it was Eric Clapton who said some people get hooked straight away whereas others can do it for ages and stop with no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever.
The thought of heroin scares me to death, i have met someone who was heavily addicted to it, and its pretty sobering to see someone in that state, when he was on it, he was in his own world, when he was off of it, he looked like he had no soul.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Fiire
Technically, you are addicted to Oxygen (because you need it) and you don't quite enjoy it.
Drugs create a false need.

Yes, you are addicted still. (Varies from organism to organism)

No. You actually need oxygen to live. It really does stop your body from functioning when you stop "using" it. No amount of weaning can get you "unaddicted". Plus oxygen isn't a drug.

The body doesn't need heroin to live, only to function properly. 2 different things.

I agree to the rest though.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Some drugs cause a psychological addiction, where you want it just becuase it fells good. Pot is one of these, I believe. Heroin is a physical addiction, though, where your body actually needs it to function. The thing with heroin is its essentially an artificial neurotransmitter. The more you take heroin, the less of this neurotransmitter your body manufatures naturally. Then when you try to quit, you don't have enough of the neurotransmitter, and you get withdrawl symptoms and your brain function slows.

And it is MOST DEFINITELY possible to get addicted after trying a drug once. Not particularly like , but definitely possible.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by osXtiger
No. You actually need oxygen to live. It really does stop your body from functioning when you stop "using" it. No amount of weaning can get you "unaddicted". Plus oxygen isn't a drug.

The body doesn't need heroin to live, only to function properly. 2 different things.

I agree to the rest though.

Yes, it is.

and only when you're physically addicted.

And it is MOST DEFINITELY possible to get addicted after trying a drug once. Not particularly like , but definitely possible.

I disagree. It's possible to WANT the drug again after doing it once, but not get addicted. If you say it's possible to get addicted after using the drug once, you're using the term too loosely.
Last edited by bloodshed344 at Oct 1, 2009,
Its physically impossible to not Enjoy the effects that it gives you. Although some people may not enjoy other side effects.

But even if for some reason you did not enjoy a release of dopamine as every other human being does, Heroin would still be Physically addictive if you did it enough.

Addiction means excessive dependance on something.
We ARE addicted to oxygen PLUS we need it. (Must think with an open mind, please)
We ARE addicted to heroin BUT we DO NOT need it.

What is a drug is debatable. Archaea microorganism don't need oxygen. And yet we do.

It's hard to get it from that point of view. I don't blame you. Although you are right on the 'No amount of weaning can get you "unaddicted"'.
Quote by Fiire
Addiction means excessive dependance on something.
We ARE addicted to oxygen PLUS we need it. (Must think with an open mind, please)
We ARE addicted to heroin BUT we DO NOT need it.

What is a drug is debatable. Archaea microorganism don't need oxygen. And yet we do.

It's hard to get it from that point of view. I don't blame you. Although you are right on the 'No amount of weaning can get you "unaddicted"'.

To call the need to eat or breathe an addiction is ridiculous tbh. It doesn't help anyone, all it does i reinforce the idea thats its impossible to quit addictive drugs.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Doing heroin, I have no doubt that it will feel good, but its just not worth it in the end or the beginning.
Quote by Religulous
yo dawg I don't do that but I enjoy watching my friends look stupid?

Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Look at crack.

You think that 30 second high is worth the money those people blow doing it? There's a psychological and sometimes physical addiction that is rooted within the body at that point.

But you could say weed is the sensible mans drug if the effects last longer, is much cheaper, and a lower class.
the drug will always feel good to a majority of users the first time, but with things like heroin, eventually you just take it to keep withdrawal away. Cobain stated that he had been doing heroin for so long, he no longer enjoyed/felt the effects but kept doing it because he felt he had to keep the withdrawal symptoms away.

so yes, you can continue an addiction without enjoying the drug.