Hey there pit, I'm doing a debate at college on whether unemployment benefits should be given to those off work for more than 2 years. This doesn't include disability benefits etc. I'm on the side supporting benefits (no choice in the matter there) and was wondering if you have any good arguments, but if you're against benefits I'm also interested to see the pit's view.

Thanks
If I got benefits for not working, even more than two years, I just wouldn't work.
All my friends are Imaginary

"There was much of the beautiful,
much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible,
and not a little of that which might have excited disgust"

Swan Song
A Story by the Earl of Slander
I'd just live off my unemployment benefits without bothering to get a job.
DeVillains!
Right, these aren't really helping me. I could change them a bit and say benefits help the unemployed to further their creative persuits, but that's rubbish tbh.
Theres are allways going to be unemployed people. If you don't want them commiting crimes and rioting, then shut them up with some money...

I know it's ridiculous mate, it's the only thing i could think of to help you out.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
cheers anyway. The topic I have to suport is rediculous. Who can't find a job after 2 years?
They should give all the unemployed people public sector jobs and if they are disabled then they can set up work from home by some means. Even if they just do a small amount of work its experience for them, it will give them cash and will stop the scroungers from taking the piss.
One argument you can make is that every person has the right to a minimum standard of living, A right granted to them by the rest of society because it is useful for promoting a healthy society.
Furthermore you can speak about any children or other dependants that may be present who certianly don't deserve to be punished for their parent's misfortune.
Thirdly have a look on here to see incredibly convincing evidence about the horrible things that inequality does to a society.
http://www.equalitytrust.org.uk

Hope that helps.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I'm not sure about anywhere else, but there is a council estate in my village and the people there are perfectly able-bodied and they get £200 from the council which is paid for by the tax payer, and the spend it on alcohol an cigarettes and their kids get free school dinners, bus passes and more which is all paid for by the tax payer.
Quote by supergerbil
Hey there pit, I'm doing a debate at college on whether unemployment benefits should be given to those off work for more than 2 years. This doesn't include disability benefits etc. I'm on the side supporting benefits (no choice in the matter there) and was wondering if you have any good arguments, but if you're against benefits I'm also interested to see the pit's view.

Thanks
Sucks to be you, man. Easy as hell to argue against. If one is rewarded for not working, the incentive to work is nearly lost. Short-term unemployment benefits are a necessary safety net. But 2 years is a long time. Long enough for a displaced worker to move to where the jobs are, or learn new skills.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Sucks to be you, man. Easy as hell to argue against. If one is rewarded for not working, the incentive to work is nearly lost. Short-term unemployment benefits are a necessary safety net. But 2 years is a long time. Long enough for a displaced worker to move to where the jobs are, or learn new skills.

I agree, if no one works, then no one is getting money,

but nowadays, if you dont work, you get given money, which is alright but a lot of people abuse this and work the system.