Hi Guys,

Okay so i'm getting myself a new amp, the one and only Peavey 6505 Plus head. At the minute i'm running a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, a beast but not loud enough and a 120 watt head will just give me so much leverage.

So, should i run it through my 4x12 Marshall 1960A Lead cab, A Peavey 6505 Slant Cab, A Peavey 6505 Straight Cab, or a Peavey 6505 Slant or Straight cab and change the speakers to Eminence?

Please help,

Cheers,

Ben
If a 50w Marshall is not loud enough, something is wrong with it. Do you realize that a 120w will only be like 4db louder? Can you be more specific on what you don't like about the Marshall?

The different power tubes will make the Peavey more bright, probably tighter than the EL34 equipped Marshall. It will also be able to play much cleaner at higher volumes than the Marshall.

Without knowing what tone you are going for, speaker recommendations are impossible.
^ All true.

I'd say stick with your 1960 cab though. Those are well built cabs, and have nice speakers IIRC (g12t75s?) The Peavey cabs are nothing special, probably worse than the Marshall.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
If the Marshall isn't loud enough, there's something wrong. That thing should be deafening loud.

I really don't like the 5150 at all through the 1960 (G12T-75s don't work well with it IMO), but it should still sound better than the Peavey cabs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by tubetime86
^ All true.

I'd say stick with your 1960 cab though. Those are well built cabs, and have nice speakers IIRC (g12t75s?) The Peavey cabs are nothing special, probably worse than the Marshall.

The 1960's come with G12T-75s but a lot of people actually don't like them. I personally think they sound alright - some people say that they are really fizzy. To each his own though.

TS: Avoid Peavey cabs - they aren't very well constructed cabs and they use crap Peavey speakers. Even with a speaker change you won't get the best tone possible.

And again, the 6505 won't be much louder than your Marshall - if a 50 watt tube amp isn't loud enough for you then something is wrong with the amp.
Right, sorry i missed out a load of stuff, pre-occupied.
So, i have had this Marshall and i love it to pieces, i also realise it's only going to be like 4 decibels louder, but my problem is i love to drive the valves really hard and have my gain set on 2 maybe 3. So i really want to be able to drive the valves on it.
I think i might stick with the Marshall Cab and just get the Peavey, because from what i hear the Peavey cabs take a beast and make it sound like a sissy.
Cheers Guys,
Ben
Hated the 1960 cab when I had it with my 6505 and hated it with every other amp I had that was ran through it. Bad quality control and tone was horrible. If anything do a speaker swap and sell off the stockers.. Should be cheaper then that Peavey cab you were thinking about as well. And its a win win..

But if you got the cash get you a good cab loaded with vintage 30's. The cab can make a world of difference.
If you want to drive the valves , just buy an attenuator. I don't get what you are saying, you like to drive the valves, so you need something that's 120watts, that'll be even harder.
Quote by thrasher.
If you want to drive the valves , just buy an attenuator. I don't get what you are saying, you like to drive the valves, so you need something that's 120watts, that'll be even harder.

^Exactly I dont get it either, lower wattage means driving tubes harder at same volume and if the 50w isn't loud enough you must be in a major band playing huge venues. If for some reason you do need more power but you like the Marshall so much why not get a 100watt Marshall instead of something completely different. And I concur on the replacement of the stock speakers in the 1960. I am an Eminence fan but I don't know how they would fare in this setting. Are you playing high gain, low gain clean, what?