Hey guys, I recently stumbled upon this product and I was wondering if anyone else has ever heard of it, or even used it.
Its called ToneRite, and its supposed to well, tone your guitar by simulating real playing. I guess it would only work with guitars that at least has a solid top, but I'm just wondering is this some kind of a gimmick, or can something really simulate playing and help "age" a guitar?
Here is the website:
http://tonerite.com/

Any thoughts or ideas?
that looks real cool, im not too sure how effective it would be though
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
It's one hell of a steep price tag, $140 or something. Surely it wont make such a huge difference, its basically saying, this is for lazy people who don't play guitars that often.
I was thinking this could be potentially useful for people who own a lot of guitars, and wants all of them to sound aged, since well, he can only play 1 guitar at any one time. But then again, it really is an expensive toy, and god knows if it really works.
That is TOTALLY stupid. Stupid stupid stupid.

Edit: Holy crap, it's also $150! I'd rather have 10 packages of nice strings.

Double edit: Hahaha, the bass one is $250!

And triple edit: But how does it work?

In a general sense the ToneRite® works by releasing the inherent stress in a system via de-dampening. Fine acoustic instruments are built from many pieces of wood and material being glued and bound together. This system naturally has tension built into it and over time this tension natrually gets worse (entropy). Luckily, by playing an instrument we naturally relieve some of this tension and our instruments start to resonate more causing increased volume, tone, balance and playability.

That may be the most bogus bit of engineering garbage I've ever read. Especially the bit about entropy.

4th Edit (new personal best!): But they really know how to put a website together. It looks top-notch!
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Oct 2, 2009,
Well they better work, I just ordered 5 and half and I'm gonna try attaching all 5 of them to my vocal chords. I may try putting them on my abs too.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Technically, it will have some effect on the guitar. It's just meant to simulate a well played in guitar. However, a guitar you break in yourself will always sound better. The guitar will actually age to what you play and what your tendencies are.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by GC Shred Off
That is TOTALLY stupid. Stupid stupid stupid.

Edit: Holy crap, it's also $150! I'd rather have 10 packages of nice strings.

Double edit: Hahaha, the bass one is $250!

And triple edit: But how does it work?

That may be the most bogus bit of engineering garbage I've ever read. Especially the bit about entropy.

4th Edit (new personal best!): But they really know how to put a website together. It looks top-notch!

I didn't see the entropy part, but yea it seriously is crappy engineering. But the website looks so good, you almost feel compelled to take it seriously lol.
Quote by avenger86
I didn't see the entropy part, but yea it seriously is crappy engineering. But the website looks so good, you almost feel compelled to take it seriously lol.

Well, the more I think about it, I start to believe that even if it doesn't do a damn thing, it could very well make the user think their instrument sounds better. And if it can do that, hell, it's just as good as if it actually did something.

...but entropy
hahaha yeah, I guess they used the term entropy to impress non-science/engineering people. Throwing the 2nd law of thermodynamics in probably makes it sound impressive to some people lol.

And u know what, I think you have a point. After spending so much money on it, you would just convince yourself it sounds better.
entropy? I agree with you mr. shred off. They may have a BS product but they could probably sell ice cubes to eskimos.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
honestly, I'd rather age my guitar myself than have some electronic device do it for me. Just a personal thing.

But I do agree, their website does like very nice.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
sweet, I've always wanted to hire someone to play my guitars for me. Now I can just buy a machine instead. Now if I could just find someone to dress me in the morning as well...

life would be good
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Hey, I was just passing through and wondered if anyone has actually used the device? I personally have and it definitely has had added volume and balance to my instrument. A lot of users over at the Collings Forum have tried the ToneRite and have actually been keeping track of the results.

http://collingsforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/94760485/m/941101681/p/1

I would say don't knock it until you try it. Just a thought, to each his own.
Alright this is interesting, so there are quite a number of people that used it, and feels that it worked. Now I just wonder if this is a "imaginary effect" or a real improvement.
It probably works, but it won't age to your playing style. Like captivate said, as you play your guitar and it ages, it will age to your tendencies. Your strumming style, your fingerpicking technique, everything. As it ages it will sound better for how you play that it will if you use something that merely ages the instrument. Think of it as the difference in naural aging and relicing. Sure, relicing looks nice and all, but it doesn't have the same effect of a naturally aged guitar.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Noun

Entropy

Singular
entropy

Plural
countable and uncountable; plural entropies

entropy (countable and uncountable; plural entropies)

1. (thermodynamics, countable)
A. strictly thermodynamic entropy. A measure of the amount of energy in a physical system which cannot be used to do mechanical work.
B. A measure of the disorder present in a system (now becoming obsolete in chemistry [1]).
C. The capacity factor for thermal energy that is hidden with respect to temperature [2].
D. The dispersal of energy; how much energy is spread out in a process, or how widely spread out it becomes, at a specific temperature. [3]
2. (statistics, information theory, countable) A measure of the amount of information and noise present in a signal.
3. (uncountable) The tendency of a system that is left to itself to descend into chaos.

From Wiktionary. Personally, I like definition 3 the best. Use it or lose it right?
Last edited by LeftyDave at Oct 4, 2009,
Now then, on to something actually useful for this thread. Have a (long-ish) read of the following link. I've read up on this phenomenon before and am aware that an aged, well played guitar will sound better than a brand new one. This machine takes it to the extreme, with positive results(according to the guys who did the testing). It certainly doesn't look like something I'd want my guitar strapped to though. But they claim it's safe. Anyhow, check it out.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/gear/advice/vibration.shtml
My dad is a luthier and him and his luthier friends use the tonerite on their new guitars (They make classical guitars).
It really does do what it says, freshly made guitars do need livening up/balancing out etc etc and i've heard the results. THEY WORK.

Obviously the website is filled with alot of stupid language that makes some scoff and others think that it is the best thing ever made. But they work, and thats that for me

xx