First off I'd like to thank Chris for getting this forum set up .

I was wondering how I access head voice (i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DWBEEQatTc) for that sort of 80s rockish tone. I also want to know how I can distinguish singing in head voice from falsetto.

If any more info is needed, please ask.

Thanks!
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

First off, don't try to sing that 80s/classic rock stuff until you are an adult, if you are not one yet. I've seen younger dudes try it, and it isn't pretty.

And head voice is just another way of saying falsetto. It is when you purposefully crack your voice and keep it there while singing to hit higher notes than your voice would normally allow.
Quote by CODE
First off, don't try to sing that 80s/classic rock stuff until you are an adult, if you are not one yet. I've seen younger dudes try it, and it isn't pretty.

And head voice is just another way of saying falsetto. It is when you purposefully crack your voice and keep it there while singing to hit higher notes than your voice would normally allow.

Havent checked the OP's video, I'll bet it is falsetto.

However head voice and falsetto or not the same. OFten singers will use all of their lungs to push otu so much air for some adlibs, they will reach notes of their head voice, without going into falsetto.

Do not as good as profesional singers I have the pleasure of doing so a couple of times. It's not really healthy for your vocal cords though.

But headvoice is your normal reach, where you can feel the sound forming in your head. Just like how chest voice got it's name. I do admit both head voice and falsetto are close together, and with a bit of training they overlap, and shift smoothly into one another, so it seems it's one voice.

EDIT:

It's falsetto in the video.

And I missed Chris' link towards that site. Renders my whole post useless really
Last edited by pandora_grunt at Oct 2, 2009,
Thanks guys. I guess my interpretation of what "head voice" was was incorrect. Is head voice also referred to as mixed voice? Or are they separate things as well? And what is the proper technique for using head voice?

EDIT: I know it's unrealistic to be able to do this, but how can I sing similarly to this, minus the operatic guy? Or is this all falsetto as well? I can hit the soprano C in falsetto, but trying anything other than falsetto for that note is not going to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mgdpVjATZo&feature=related
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Oct 3, 2009,
Nice link axe... I always thought head was falsetto, and those power highs were just chest voice.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Quote by 6DgOfInTb
Thanks guys. I guess my interpretation of what "head voice" was was incorrect. Is head voice also referred to as mixed voice? Or are they separate things as well? And what is the proper technique for using head voice?

EDIT: I know it's unrealistic to be able to do this, but how can I sing similarly to this, minus the operatic guy? Or is this all falsetto as well? I can hit the soprano C in falsetto, but trying anything other than falsetto for that note is not going to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mgdpVjATZo&feature=related

You should always be singing in this so-called 'mixed' voice. For high notes, you might have 80% of your resonance happening in your sinus cavities, but there will still be some chest resonance, and vice-versa. The proportion changes as you travel through your range.

It is important to note that the terms 'head voice' and 'chest voice' are a little bit dangerous because they seem to suggest an exclusivity.

About that YouTube video.... clearly, that jowox doesn't know what he's talking about. They're all falsetto, and they sound very clearly falsetto. NO male (well.... adult male) can sing the soprano high C without some sort of mutation happening. There have been a small handful of males throughout history that can hit the high F (a perfect fifth below that soprano C) as called for in one of Mozart's arias. Now add 7 semitones above that.... yeah, right. Very few males can hit the tenor high C, never mind the C an octave above that.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Yes.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.