i feel bad about making a thread on anchoring so im sorry in advance, but anyway:

i used to anchor but have learn to not do it, but, is it ok if i prefer to anchor when i play certain things? for example, the first phrase in the dazed and confused solo, the part that like bend 14th on g string, pull of from 15th to 12th on b string etc.

i am able to play it when not anchoring, but for some reason i just prefer to do it when i do.

is that ok?
If you're playing it with hammer-ons and pull-offs then your pick hand isn't under any stress any way, so I think it's fine. I almost always anchor when play legato( I use my picking hand fingers to mute the strings and I usually rest them on the body too), but as soon as I start doing any kind of picking I don't anchor anymore. So, I think you're fine...I wouldn't do it if you plan on doing any extended picking licks though.
1981 Ibanez RG560 with Dimarzio Evo's
Peavey 212 Half-stack
Line 6 POD Studio GX
I wouldn't say so. As long as your wrist isn't tense and you're still free to move your wrist it's fine I'd say.
Wait is anchoring with your fretting hand or your picking hand? I always thought it was like laying you index finger on a fret across like 3 strings and then using the other fingers to hit notes above that finger.
Commodor, you are referring to "Barring." Anchoring can be a bad habit. Your hand should be free to move around and not restricted to the strings or guitar body. If your hand or wrist is tense at all, it is definitely affecting your playing. Everyday before you play, make it a conscious effort to raise your wrist off the strings a little and get that hand moving while practicing/playing. After awhile, you will notice a difference in your sound, speed, overall technique, and it won't look painful for those watching you play.
ive even seen Slash anchor before but when your playing at high speeds and your forearm tenses up and your wrist locks its not really good to anchor, ask anyone who has done it, you will start getting sharp pains in your wrist when you do that again. Anchoring is fine if your playing at comfortable speeds and your doing like sweep picking or playing some arpeggio but fast alternate tremolo picking its not good to but if your not having problems go for it.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
whos jason becker and what happened to him?

Please tell me you're kidding.

Becker was one of the best. At 16, him and Marty Friedman formed Cacophony. And then 4 years later, he was diagnosed with ALS.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Jason Becker anchored, and we all saw what happened to him.

John Petrucci anchor and look what happened to him...
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
John Petrucci anchor and look what happened to him...

Well, what happened to Petrucci then, aye?
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by RDSElite
Well, what happened to Petrucci then, aye?

He is considered by many one of the best guitarist of this era, has astronomicals levels on almost every guitar technique, a great composer for melodic solos even when shredding.

Also he can time warp and can play so fast that make people's head explodes.

For more: http://wikizap.mobi/enuncyclopedia/John_Petrucci
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Jason becker thing is one of the sadder things I've heard in a long time. Glad to see he's still going with his passion.
I heard on one Dream Theater DVD, you can see Petrucci wearing a brace on his right arm. Hmm, I wonder if that has to do with anchoring...
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Quote by WishfulShredder
****, Im sigging that, that was lol

You bastard! You beat me to it!

Anyways, TS, I would say that you shouldn't anchor ever. If you can do it without anchoring, do it. Don't keep using a bad habit if you don't have to.