Alright, I've been getting my chords down great. I'm only having trouble with this one chord. My middle and ring finger won't seperate enough to do it properly. Any suggestions?
Ahh, I see you're having trouble with the saddest of all keys, the Dm. Just keep practicing, no reason crying over it..
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
^ nice reference.

I find Dm very easy to do! Once of the easiest i think...
Index finger on the 1st fret high E
Middle finger on the 2nd fret G
Ring finger on the 3rd fret B

Just takes practice, alot of it.
Been away, am back
Just practising it and doing some finger stretching exercises helps. I find trouble changing between chords like this though.
Can't stop the spirits when they need you This life is more than just a read thru
I know the chord, and I can do it, but not how I want too. I like to place all my fingers down at the same time and be able to switch between chords cleanly. I know a good amount of chords around 15-20. I can switch between most of them with no problems. Some chords like a C7 or a B7 I'm only having trouble with because the pinky. Dm on the other hand my fingers just won't stretch. Guess I'll just keep practicing.
Keep doing it over and over again try playing it in a legato style you,ll also get good finger exerc........ it,s just a thought.
I'm not sure if you have small hands, but sometimes it is necessary to use your pinky finger instead of your ring finger.

For example:
index on first fret, first string.
pinky on third fret, second string.
middle on second fret, third string.
open fourth string.

If you prefer the fingering you're talking about, try practicing on higher frets and moving down to open position as your fingers become more accustomed to these kinds of stretches.

Hope this helps. Keep practicing. You'll get it.
as a last resort, you can do a higher d minor chord, barred, but that can be tricky for you depending on how long youve played.
E5
B6
G7
D7
A5
EX
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
There are lotsa chords I had trouble with when I started that I thought I could never get! Barre Chords, Dm, I actually remember trying to learn C... when I only knew D and G! Just keep going and you'll be there before you know it! I used to watch john playing Under the Bridge and think that I'd never get there! And a year later I was playing the whole song, with all the hammer-ons! Same with Snow... never thought I'd get there... but I did!

Just work at it!
Keep practicing. You will get it. When I first started I couldnt even go 1234 on the Low E string. Now I can go from fret 1 to 7 (Nearly 8) and can easily go 1346.
Do chromatics, stretch and practice, and it'll be easy in no time.
Keep pratcicing it'll come in time. I almost **** my clothes when I saw the barred F chord.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
practice rolling into it, thats what helped me the most going from G major to dm, not only does it sound good you can learn to move differently which helps. When you have enough practice when playing open chorded songs you can sustain notes from other chords while you roll into stuff like Dm/M or A/B, chords that are usually resoloutions of progressions and sustaining the sound. Thats just the bonus to learning the chord. go from G Major 320003 then leave your pinky on 3 while you roll your left hand index and middle that were on 32 of the G to first the middle finger then roll down the ring finger without the index then drop your pinky off the 3 where the g was then put your index on 1, or practice without the index.
~Defiant~
Quote by JoePerry4life
Keep pratcicing it'll come in time. I almost **** my clothes when I saw the barred F chord.

I can do barred F, I'm not happy with my Dm chord. it doesn't sound the way i'd like
Quote by dwguitar101
I'm not sure if you have small hands, but sometimes it is necessary to use your pinky finger instead of your ring finger.

For example:
index on first fret, first string.
pinky on third fret, second string.
middle on second fret, third string.
open fourth string.

If you prefer the fingering you're talking about, try practicing on higher frets and moving down to open position as your fingers become more accustomed to these kinds of stretches.

Hope this helps. Keep practicing. You'll get it.

no way, i have small hands and have no problem fingering a Dm with my ring finger

Quote by Aurex
practice rolling into it, thats what helped me the most going from G major to dm, not only does it sound good you can learn to move differently which helps. When you have enough practice when playing open chorded songs you can sustain notes from other chords while you roll into stuff like Dm/M or A/B, chords that are usually resoloutions of progressions and sustaining the sound. Thats just the bonus to learning the chord. go from G Major 320003 then leave your pinky on 3 while you roll your left hand index and middle that were on 32 of the G to first the middle finger then roll down the ring finger without the index then drop your pinky off the 3 where the g was then put your index on 1, or practice without the index.

^

For G - Dm what I do is I usually play a G with the D on the B string fretted with my ring finger, so when I switch to Dm, I keep my ring finger there and use it as a pivot point to bring my index and middle fingers down onto their respective frets. It takes practice to get your fingers to go into the exact spot though.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Last edited by glenthemann at Oct 3, 2009,