Hey, as refered to in the topic title; my guitar hums!

I've used it on several amps, combos, my halfstack, my Pod 2.0 and every time it hums, I didn't actually realise it untill now how big a deal it actually was. I've actually wondered why my guitar was the only one humming, but hell, I just thought it was the distortion.

I know it's the guitar because if i unplug it from my halfstack it's silent even when the preamp and volume is at 10.

It's kinda weird becuase when i turn down the volume knobs on my guitar, it's silent; but when I, as much as touch the strings it begins humming.

I bought the guitar modified (A split-coil function on both pickups), so I guess it must have been the guitars previous owner who made it buzz like it does.

So, deeeeaaaar UG, what the hell is there to do? xD
check out all the grounding and be sure there are no ground loops
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
might be a grounding or shielding problem.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Ehm.. I'm not that much into all that wiring and that, could you possibly explain a.. new*** like me what to do? I'm eager to learn, but I'm not eager to ruin my ESP :P
Single coils hum while using them with high-gain.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I just found my camera, and thought it might help you guys, if you got some pics to look at

If you click the pictures, they get pretty good and high def quality, it makes it kinda easier to see what's going on down there

Last edited by Decoid at Oct 2, 2009,
It seems to be ok. SCs are noisy except they are Lace Sensors.
You should change the switches to DPDT and use it as a series/parallel switch! Same effect with no noise.
I'm sorry, but I didn't quite catch that! The dude that owned the guitar before me modified it, so I'm not quite into what he has done with it :P Please enlighten me and try to explain SC, Lace Sensors, DPDT Hehe, I'm such a newbie, please bear over with me
In the first picture, on the right side coming out of that pickup wire, it looks like there's a bare wire that isn't connected to anything. If it isn't, ground that for sure.
Quote by Baby Joel
In the first picture, on the right side coming out of that pickup wire, it looks like there's a bare wire that isn't connected to anything. If it isn't, ground that for sure.

The one, that looks red? It's just some kind of string (Nonmetal)
Quote by Decoid
I'm sorry, but I didn't quite catch that! The dude that owned the guitar before me modified it, so I'm not quite into what he has done with it :P Please enlighten me and try to explain SC, Lace Sensors, DPDT Hehe, I'm such a newbie, please bear over with me

Ok.
SC - Single coil.
Lace Sensor - A brand of totally noiseless single coil (and some humbucker) pickups. They use a special (mumetal+faraday???) shielding that also reducing the magnetic pull for more sustain.
DPDT - Douple pole/Douple throw (switch).

The best you can do is taking your guitar to a repairman. He (or she ) can fix it.
Yeah, I just found out that the wires are really crappy, once you press on them, they begin humming even worse.... So I guess it's calling for a total rewiring :O