I am looking for something that can go from reasonably good cleans (I don't emphasize those) to a roaring, almost Marshally-powerful roar. Good tone choices would be Satriani's tones, ACDC, Van Halen's Brown tone, Gary Moore's tone, and BB King's style of cleans (I don't need to be a perfect clean, but I'd like to get a good 'blues clean'). I am fully willing to buy used, combo or stack format, though I have no speakers, so factor that in. If it's a combo, I'd appreciate a speaker-out, so it can be plugged into other speakers in the future, unless it's in the volume range where I'd never really need that. I'm willing to get something that needs to be cranked to sound good, as I'll likely get an attenuator or something so it can be played at practice levels as needed. To conclude:

-Around 1,000$ (Variable, within reason)
-Blues to Hard Rock (BB King to Moore to ACDC to EVH to Satch)
-Metal not required (I'm not really a metal player, so I needn't pick an amp based on it being able to do metal well)
-Can buy used
-I'd prefer Tube
-Will buy combo OR stack (Don't currently have speakers, so if it's a head, tell me about speakers too)
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
If you can find a Marshall DSL 401 or even the 20 watt 201, it'll probably be the best amp for your style. I swear by these amp, they're great!
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
What makes the DSL so good? Also, what's the difference between that and the TSL?
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Dual Super Lead - 2 channel
Triple Super Lead - 3 channel

JCM 800 > Both IMO
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Im thinking Ceriatone Plexi 18 or 20 watt. Itll nail any of those tones easy (though you might need a bit of a boost). You can get them in kits or put together, great prices and quality, just beware the cost of shipping.

(This is all stuff Ive heard from the internet, Ive never actually played/bought one)

EDIT: They only come in heads, so youll need a cabinet, but you should be able to get the head and an Avatar 2x12 for $1000, give or take $100.

EDIT 2: You could get a Marshall JCM 800 combo from the 80's on Ebay too, great amps as well

Last edited by EMGPWNS at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by Phantom123
What makes the DSL so good? Also, what's the difference between that and the TSL?

It's just nice a crunchy amp, you can get a really in your face Marshall tone or calm down with a bluesy distortion on the OD1 channel. And with the gain option for the cleans you can get a wide variety or types of cleans. Overall its my favorite amp. I wish Marshall would reissue it, I'd pay $1500 for it just because it's so hard to find one around here.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
jcm800 2204 into a 1960a with G12t-75 - V30 x pattern. Roll off your guitar's volume to clean it up, or get an a/b box
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
JCM800 combo... I always hear people chatting up the 50 watt head. How's the combo? Original, or reissue.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Quote by Phantom123
JCM800 combo... I always hear people chatting up the 50 watt head. How's the combo? Original, or reissue.

The combo is the same circuit as the head. The speakers are Celestion, industry standard. Pretty much the same as the head and a 2x12, just in combo form and cheaper.

There arent any JCM 800 reissue combos, and if there were, the original would more than likely be way better.

peavey 5150 and a clean amp
laugh if you will, but youll be a ritard
great rock amp on crunch setting
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
if you're worried about the transportation side, get a 1936 cab i think they are? the 2 12 cab marshall puts out, just a thought.

Edit: Justification, closed back gives a tighter bass response than the combo, again, just a thought.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Orange AD30.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I recomend the Traynor ycxwr 40 this amp rocks! awsome fender cleans and nice tight focused o/d. These amps are built realy well solid baltic birch cabs celestion vintage 30 and 2 yr unlimited warrenty.I got mine for $550.
one of my fav. amps I have ever owned I honestly play it more than my 65 twin.
these amps love pedals ,have a speaker out and effects loop.Check these out to many people overlook them and go rite for Fender or marshall.
Oh ya made in Canada too eh!