im trying to solo over the top but nothin im usin sounds right

i cant remember what the chords are called but there these:

e|-----------------
b|--7-------3-----
g|--6-------2-----
d|--4-------0----
a|--5-------1---
e|-------------------
the tunes in D, what would go well over the top of these?
i want somethin sinister/scary

thanking you
x
Sinister/scary would probably be harmonic minor, first chord is a D and second is Bb. So D harmonic minor and Bb harmonic minor i think? Not completely sure.

80th best UGer
the chords are Dmaj7 and Bbmaj7, so without context, I cant really give it a key. You could go with harmonic minor for dark/scary, but the chords have major 3rds, so that might throw you off. I suggest just using the chromatic scale and just use what works.

EDIT: Since there are no fifths, you could use some augmented scales
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
Last edited by CHOCOmoney at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by guitar_mad_ali
hey so we wrote a weird bit in our song the other day
im trying to solo over the top but nothin im usin sounds right

i cant remember what the chords are called but there these:

e|-----------------
b|--7-------3-----
g|--6-------2-----
d|--4-------0----
a|--5-------1---
e|-------------------
the tunes in D, what would go well over the top of these?
i want somethin sinister/scary

thanking you
x

Well, your chords are Dmaj7 (no 5th) (D F# C# F#) and Bbmaj7 (no 5th) (Bb D A D).

in D, that's a I - bVI progression. Sticking to chord tones will always sound pretty good. For sinister or scary? Just hanging around the Bb on the Bb chord sounds pretty sinister to me. Add in a tritone above the Bb (E) in some kind of melodic run for a better effect. So basically, Dmaj over the D chord and Bbmaj with a #4 over the Bb chord. That's what sounds scary to me, at least.
Quote by timeconsumer09
Well, your chords are Dmaj7 (no 5th) (D F# C# F#) and Bbmaj7 (no 5th) (Bb D A D).

in D, that's a I - bVI progression. Sticking to chord tones will always sound pretty good. For sinister or scary? Just hanging around the Bb on the Bb chord sounds pretty sinister to me. Add in a tritone above the Bb (E) in some kind of melodic run for a better effect. So basically, Dmaj over the D chord and Bbmaj with a #4 over the Bb chord. That's what sounds scary to me, at least.

OR D minor is a I - VI progression. much simpler. no need to complicate things. D harmonic minor fits easily and its dark like you asked.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Quote by ajreciever14
OR D minor is a I - VI progression. much simpler. no need to complicate things. D harmonic minor fits easily and its dark like you asked.

If the song is in D minor, why would you be vamping (I assume these chords are vamped) a major I chord instead of a minor i?
Id switch keys.

D maj - Bb maj

Lydian could work for them as well

edit .... actually this sounds pretty cool...

Start in A maj (over the DMaj = lydian)
move up 1/2 step to Bb Maj (over the Bb)

Quote by ajreciever14

I would say that D harmonic doesn't fit at all. It doesn't sound dark over that progression, it just sounds wrong.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 1, 2009,
If you put the chord tones together you could use a D double harmonic major (1, b2, 3, 4, 5, b6, 7) over the entire thing. That'll probably get you close to a dark sound over major chords