Got to jam with some guys last night, one of them had a '72 Deluxe Tele. It was one of the best guitars I've ever played and I'm thinking about getting one. Any thoughts?
i love them. especially the white with black pickguard model. depending on which one you're looking at they're $900 to $2000 new. i was very close to buying one of the MIM models, but the price shot up from $700 to $900 and i decided that was out of my price range. too bad, they're really awesome guitars! the ones i got to play felt great. just a little heavy.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
The Mex reissue? Yeah, brilliant guitars, a year or so back they were the bee's knees. Played a few originals and they were even better. Because every pop artist on the face of the planet was using one, the originals went from 500 dollars about 4 years ago to the best part of 4000 (Australian Dollars, so 3000-3500us). Fun little bit of trivia, now dealers are stuck with them having payed too much and they're going to start having trouble unloading them when the fad dies, pick one up cheap then
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Ha yeah it seems they are really catching on with the pop punk scene in particular.
Quote by cmalmo4
Ha yeah it seems they are really catching on with the pop punk scene in particular.

definitely. i noticed this too. in a way it made me kind of want one, and kind of steer clear haha paramore's guitarist used one in a music video they made and i'm not a big fan of them. but at the same time armor for sleep's singer used one and i could listen to them for weeks on end. i was really torn haha but the price increase decided for me. awesome guitars though! i should have bought the special edition shoreline gold they had when they first produced the reissues. they only made 200 i think

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
definitely. i noticed this too. in a way it made me kind of want one, and kind of steer clear haha paramore's guitarist used one in a music video they made and i'm not a big fan of them. but at the same time armor for sleep's singer used one and i could listen to them for weeks on end. i was really torn haha but the price increase decided for me. awesome guitars though! i should have bought the special edition shoreline gold they had when they first produced the reissues. they only made 200 i think

and what does it matter who else plays one? I love the sound of them, I really want one at the moment.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
i've always wanted one, especially the white/black one mentioned up there.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
ya tele's are coming back especially with models like the jim root sig. fender is like the "noncomformist" brand .. dunno how that happened sense they are basicly the inventor of the electric guitar.

ANYWAY

i think tele's are awesome i like almost any model if you want the '72 go for it. my advice is go to a store and play evry tele model they have because there IS a difference between them but all have that 'tele sound. hope that doesent comfuse you.

basicly what im saying is play other tele models to make sure its the '72 model you was liking when you played your friends or you was just charmed and want a telecaster. you might find a model you like better
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by consecutive e
and what does it matter who else plays one? I love the sound of them, I really want one at the moment.

no, definitely doesn't matter. but i'm really not a fan of signature models, so when i was influenced to buy one because of who else owned them i think it's best i didn't end up with one at all. if that makes any sense

Quote by cmalmo4
Paramore's lead guitarist used a MIM '72 Deluxe on the recordings of their Riot! album and he used it on stage frequently until Fender built him a custom model.

Quote by Emergancy Exit
ya tele's are coming back especially with models like the jim root sig. fender is like the "noncomformist" brand
They've been 'coming back' for years now. It's become ironic that they are seen as the guitar for faux-'indie' and 'non-conformists' because so many people use them to fit that image - by trying not to conform, they're conforming to an image, and they seem to be oblivious to the irony.

But anyway, yeah, they're great guitars, even the MIM ones. As I said, Paramore used the MIM ones, stock, for recording and touring, so even if you are into an entirely different kind of music, you can still tell the guitars hold up well and can do the job.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I guess this is on a different subject to a degree, but do you guys know of anywhere where you can get the wide ranges that come in these? Or is the only place they come from the Fender factory?
Quote by cmalmo4
I guess this is on a different subject to a degree, but do you guys know of anywhere where you can get the wide ranges that come in these? Or is the only place they come from the Fender factory?

http://www.warmoth.com/Fender-Humbucker-Neck-P103C192.aspx
http://www.warmoth.com/Fender-Humbucker-Bridge-P104C192.aspx
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Many guitar stores sell them, most of Fender's pickups are available just like any other aftermarket pickup. Warmoth sell them, I believe I've seen them for sale on Musician's Friend - I'm not too clued up on American stores, but I've certainly seen them being sold via those two. here in the UK, two of the three stores in this city stock them.

Bear in mind though, the 'wide range' humbuckers Fender makes these days aren't anything like the original wide range pickups. The originals were made with a different type of magnet that's not used now and they were configured differently; the current 'wide range' pickups are just standard Alnico V humbuckers in slightly larger than normal casings to fit the current reissue guitars' pickguards. They won't retro fit into other guitars that weren't already fitted with the current wide range pickups and they won't sound any different either.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.