I'm sure this has been asked before, but I want to get my own suggestions and advice.

Me and my friends are starting a band, and I'm thinking of ways to record just for fun. Money isn't really an issue, I just want some ideas, and opinions on how to go about starting this.

I plan on using my PC for mastering, and have been playing around with Adobe Audition - It seems very user friendly, and quite fun to use.
I know I will need an interface, and was thinking about this: -Interface - Firewire

-Drum Mic - For the Drum Mic's.
-Shure SM57 - Guitar Mic's - For the Guitar amps
-Shure Beta 52A - Bass Mic - For the Bass amp.

Now, for the actual room we will be using, It's going to be an old sheet metal utility building, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about making it plausible for a recording room. Here's where I need ideas from you guys.

I though about making walls of sound traps, plus the ceiling, but that's a wee bit of work. I also thought of putting up carpet all the way around, but I don't think that will do the trick.

That's about all I know off the top of my head, Tell me what ya think of the items above, what I may need, and what should be my plan of action

Thanks.
Last edited by Jcroom at Oct 1, 2009,
Well i have the 52A and the SM57. You're definitly set there. I have some other things to say, but first i'm curious.

Will you be recording multiple members at once? or just one at a time?

EDIT: Okay, here's what you need based on that info. Microphone wise.

Definitly get 2 Shure SM81's. This way you'll have the 57's for snare/toms, the 52A for kick, and the SM81's for stereo overheads. They're amazing microphones for uses like acoustic guitar as well.

Now when you say money isn't an issue, can you ellaborate? Because if that truely is the case i have many more reccomendations.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Last edited by BassFishin at Oct 1, 2009,
I haven't really thought about that too much, probably a little of both. More so all at once though, I don't feel like going through the hassles of an isolation room.
Quote by BassFishin
Well i have the 52A and the SM57. You're definitly set there. I have some other things to say, but first i'm curious.

Will you be recording multiple members at once? or just one at a time?

This is what I was going to say. The SM57 is awesome!

If you are going to record individual things, you might be better off constructing a 'mini-room' around the drums or amp of your choice. I've done this before in a place that isn't very well designed for acoustics. We used Plywood, and some cheap carpeting. We made 2 different rigs (one to go around the set, and one to fit all 3 amps, 1 at a time.

If you would like further details about this, I can give you some more info. The results turned out 100x better than just the room itself.
1950s Classic Player's Series Fender Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider II
ESP F-50
Fender Acoustic
Crybaby-Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Of course I would like more info. I'm here for all the ideas I an get
well the first thing that comes to my head after reading this is... how in the heck is money not an issue??? buying all that crap will cost a good bit, not to mention all the money you'll have to put into the room to make it sound decent for recording. my suggestion is if you really have all that much money, you should share with the rest of us who are too poor to afford an sm57....

besides that.

the room will take a lot of work. i dont know enough to offer good suggestions, but i know it'll take a lot...

also, why get 2 kick mics? just use the one in the drum mic kit on the bass cab. exact same mic. unless of course you're recording everyone together at the same time. even then, look into recording the bass direct with or without recording the cab too. you'll get a much better tone doing both.

you'll need a vocal mic. 2 overheads for the drums. possibly more tom or snare mics depending on your kit.
Haven't decided on Vocal mic's yet, and not sure about the Bass plan yet, I need to get the room ready before I start putting equipment in.
Whats your budget?

serioulsy, not an airy-fairy "oh, its not an issue" type of budget. how much money do you have to spend on this? cos i gotta tell you, even DIY acoustic treatment for that room is going to cost a heck of a lot.

i recommend you sign up to this forum:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

and read absolutly everything there.

then you will have an idea of what is feasible in your room and how to go about doing it.
Last edited by TheDriller at Oct 1, 2009,
That forum is sweet, Thanks for sharing
And my Budget is whatever it costs to make this
Seriously.

Going to play around with sketchup for a bit.
Alright. I was just going to suggest getting 2 52 A's and extra 57's if you're going to record live.

I'm more trained in the microphone department, not as much with the setting up of the room. Anyways, here are my reccomendations:

Guitar: SM57

Bass: Beta 52A is perfectly fine. It's debatable what the perfect mic is for Bass though. I reccommend trying out as many as you can.

Toms: 1 Sennheiser MD421 For each tom. That's really going to cost you, so if that's out of your range, get a Sennheiser e604 for each instead. I'm pretty sure you can buy them in a 3-pack.

If you can't afford those, then Shure SM57's are pretty nice for toms too, although not so much for the lower ones (floor toms). Although i'm only talking ideal.

Kick: Beta 52A is perfect. I've used the 'higher class' version of this, the AKG D112 and i'll be honest, the 52 kicks it to the curb. I would easily take the Shure over the AKG any day.

Drum Overheads: With an unlimited budget, definitly 2 AKG C414's. To go cheaper, i reccommend 2 Shure SM81's. To go even cheaper, you can basically pull it off with any 2 small diaphragm condenser mics. Just look up reviews on different ones and decided that way. On a REALLY tight budget, 2 MXL 992 (i think thats the model numbers) work okay.

Room Mic: If you plan on using one, for example, to pick up reverb on drums, then any nice large diaphragm condenser will do. Ideal would be the AKG C414. But since it's generally a small part of the recording, most mic's will do.

Vocals: C414 yet again. No doubt about it. But if you need to save crazy money, you can pick up the Sterling Audio ST-51 for only 100 bucks. It's not bad for the money, and you'll definitly like what you hear.

So for the room aspect:

Bulk up on acoustic foam. Auralex is the brand to go in that route. Then, in each corner, i reccommend turning it into an angled wall, if that makes sense. You can also put two pillars kiddie cornered from each other in the corner, which turns it into 3 small corners, if that makes sense. Yea, it will be a lot of work, but your recordings will thank you.

If nothing else, placing carpet in the right places will definitly mod the sound. But not the way that foam will.

Like i said though, i haven't looked into room design as much as i want to.

If you have any other questions let me know. I hope i was able to help some!
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Quote by Jcroom
That forum is sweet, Thanks for sharing
And my Budget is whatever it costs to make this
Seriously.

orly?

I'm not trying to be a ball-breaker, but usually when someone says "money is no object" , what they really mean is "i've got 22 dollars"

yeah its a good forum, perhaps you're best bet is to take pics of your room, measure the dimensions and start a thread on there asking for suggestions.

I've a feeling that a metal shed isn't going to be suitable at all in the first place, you really need to be using a concrete structure of some sort as the basis for a studio.
so i'd anticipate problems right from the start and a colossal bill for the whole project.

however, i hope it does work out for you.
Seriously now, get over yourself "TheDriller". - As I stated in my first post, I want to hear my own version of suggestions, and advice.

It's a bad habit to judge people on first basis, and assume that they are the same as people you have previously communicated with.
(In a community forum, as well as in the real world.)

Why in the hell would I be considering spending money on all this equipment, if I had "22 dollars"?

If you have advice, please give it, and just leave the ignorant assumptions at home.
hey, woah, wait a minute, less of the aggression eh?

as i said im not trying to be a dick, you're picking this up all wrong.
im sorry if it came across that way, my point was that in my experience people tend to under-estimate the cost of this kind of thing.

aside from that, i offered my advice, i really think that the sheet-metal building could be a problem, thats why i advised to create a thread on the John Sayer forum, with pictures, so the experts can mull it over and suggest how best to treat such a space.

may i ask, are there any "interior" walls in the space? or is it just the sheet metal? my major concern with these sheet metal buildings is water leakage, i know i'd want to ensure that the place is water-tight before putting any equipment in there.

do you know anyone who is involved in the construction industry? they could be a real help in figuring out how to go about building this place.
Quote by Jcroom
Seriously now, get over yourself "TheDriller". - As I stated in my first post, I want to hear my own version of suggestions, and advice.

It's a bad habit to judge people on first basis, and assume that they are the same as people you have previously communicated with.
(In a community forum, as well as in the real world.)

Why in the hell would I be considering spending money on all this equipment, if I had "22 dollars"?

If you have advice, please give it, and just leave the ignorant assumptions at home.

you're the one who's being ignorant. obviously you don't realize the varying costs that go into making a studio. budget is far more important here than just deciding what new amp you want. without giving us any rough figures, we're all just shooting in the dark. do you want a little home recording setup? are you trying to go for a more serious entry level studio ($20,000+)?

with your unstated budget, you're going to want to treat it acoustically -- which likely means reshaping the entire room, not just adding carpet and bass traps. you're going to want near and far field monitors. you're going to want a professonal-level computer system (mac or PC, take your pick) with multiple hard drives and DAWs tailored to your needs. you'll want a good AD/DA or two. mic pres. a console (analog or digital). controllers. a wide variety of mics. and a bevy of cables.

better yet, with no budget how about you pay me $50k, and i'll fly out and build you one myself.
Mighty strange, There's an announcement that says "I'm sure many of you hold this same view (and frustration), is that this has become a very hateful place."

- I think I do agree with that.

When I say Money is not an issue, I'm saying that I have sufficient funds to build/remodel/whatever the hell I need to do to get a decent setup for .....I think I stated in my first topic. Recording for fun. It's a hobby that I have interest in getting into. Like anything in this world, startup takes cash, and quite a bit of it. To be specific, I look to put 8k-10k into this, it's a long term project. I plan on working the acoustics, but not to a degree of mastery.

Not to mention that this is my second flamed topic here. It's a community, why not save the attitudes, eh?

TheDriller, I took your disposition from your first post as a tone of sarcasm, my apologies for the aggression.
Quote by Jcroom
Mighty strange, There's an announcement that says "I'm sure many of you hold this same view (and frustration), is that this has become a very hateful place."

- I think I do agree with that.

When I say Money is not an issue, I'm saying that I have sufficient funds to build/remodel/whatever the hell I need to do to get a decent setup for .....I think I stated in my first topic. Recording for fun. It's a hobby that I have interest in getting into. Like anything in this world, startup takes cash, and quite a bit of it. To be specific, I look to put 8k-10k into this, it's a long term project. I plan on working the acoustics, but not to a degree of mastery.

Not to mention that this is my second flamed topic here. It's a community, why not save the attitudes, eh?

TheDriller, I took your disposition from your first post as a tone of sarcasm, my apologies for the aggression.

No problem

its good to see that you have a decent budget for the project. the whole point of my little gag was that there are plenty of lads who wade into this audio thing with no idea of the costs involved, and the line "money is not an issue" seems to be a common link between you.

perhaps i came across as a bit sarcastic, but i needed to be sure that you know what you are doing now that we have established that you are on the level, we can move on.

my advice still stands, i think you need to look into the suitability of this sheet-metal building asap, and asses what kind of work needs to be done to make it a habitable space.

and i honestly reckon the John Sayer Forum lads are the people who will really know the answers there.

hateful place? welcome to the internet. and the music industry.

the first thing you're going to want to do is decide how you're going to allocate your cash; if you're going to split it 50/50 (studio gear and acoustics), or if you want to get X recording gear and the rest will go to the building, etc.

no one here is really going to be able to help you that much when it comes to figuring out how to treat the room because we haven't seen it, haven't gone into it, and haven't run tests in it. read up about it. if you're really serious about this, your best bet is to find a guy who sets up studios professionally, and pay him to check it out for you. if you've got the money, you'll probably want to pay him to do it for you, too. you'll need to EQ the room and figure out what specific Hz issues you're getting, where you're getting them, and how to solve that. the fact that it's made of sheet metal is another issue which i can't really address because i don't know how construction, the thickness of the actual walls, the dimensions of the space, etc. right now the picture i've got in my head is of a big old corrugated steel garden shed.

truth be told, most of your money will probably go into treating that place. or, rather; if you had an unlimited budget, most of your money would go into treating the room. even cheaper studios will spend tens of thousands of dollars just EQing their rooms.

now you've got to ask yourself: how much money am i willing to spend on gear? you're going to want a good, fast computer with multiple hard drives and plenty of RAM. as i said above, you're going to want to invest in a good AD/DA, a great mic pre, mics, etc etc etc.

i wasn't trying to flame you so much as trying to make you realize that, in order to really help you out, we need specifics. how much money you're going to spend (which you've now told us, thanks), and how you're going to allocate it. if you've got a good computer already or if that's part of your budget. what DAW you want to use. if you want to record digitally or to tape. what you plan on recording, so we know how many ins and mics you'll need (and how much you're willing to spend on those items). and here i didn't even scratch the proverbial tip of the iceberg. the list goes on and on and on.

edit: speaking of which, i need to head over to the studio right now. g'luck.
Last edited by climhazzard at Oct 1, 2009,
Just found out good news, the Sheet metal building is old news. Now I have a solid wood structure that's insulated, and in better condition. 25'x50'x - Angled roof - 10' to 13' in the middle back to 10'.
Quote by Jcroom
Just found out good news, the Sheet metal building is old news. Now I have a solid wood structure that's insulated, and in better condition. 25'x50'x - Angled roof - 10' to 13' in the middle back to 10'.

sweet.

can you post pics? or a sketchup?